SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jonny Kim-SEAL,Silver & Bronze Stars, Summa Cum Laude graduate in Math, Harvard Med School graduate, in NASA astronaut training-34 Years Old *Update*
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jonny Kim-SEAL,Silver & Bronze Stars, Summa Cum Laude graduate in Math, Harvard Med School graduate, in NASA astronaut training-34 Years Old *Update* Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
18 to 21 units each session, including summers. He also works part-time on campus. He has also volunteered at Balboa Naval Hospital and Sharp Memorial Hospital, when not studying or helping his wife with their new baby.

“He refers to this as the soft life,” notes Devine, “after all the things he’s gone through.”

Dang, son.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See what smoking can do?

Posts: 635 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, he's just a typical millennial slacker.

Posts: 1037 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
God Bless America

and Jonny Kim

Posts: 13156 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
You know, it kind of sucks to be reminded of what the possibilities are.

On the other hand, what a joy to read about the success that young man has earned.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somehow I feel kinda small...

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
My mom wouldn’t even let me out of the house until I was 35.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:
Gosh by 34,you would think he would have done more with his life.

yep. Kids these days. No ambition.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19574 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
**UPDATE**

Astronaut training completed.

I was feeling good about tying my shoes without injuring myself today...

https://fox5sandiego.com/2020/...-is-headed-to-space/

USD grad, former Navy SEAL Jonny Kim is headed to space

WASHINGTON -- He has a degree from University of San Diego, he's a Harvard Medical School graduate and he served as a Navy SEAL, but Dr. Jonny Kim isn't done: Now he is blasting off to space.

After graduating the training program last week, Kim will become the first Korean-American astronaut with NASA to embark on assignments to the International Space Station, the moon and possibly even Mars. The U.S. embassy in Seoul posted proudly about Kim's achievements Sunday:

Kim was born and raised in Los Angeles by Korean-American immigrants, according to his NASA bio. After graduating Santa Monica High School in 2002, Kim enlisted in the Navy.

He eventually earned his way onto SEAL Team Three, based in San Diego, and he served as a combat medic, sniper, navigator and point man on more than 100 combat operations across two deployments to the Middle East.

In 2012, he earned his bachelor's degree in math at University of San Diego. He went on to Harvard Medical School, where he earned his medical degree in 2016.

He was one year into a four-year residency at Massachusetts General Hospital when he got the call that he had been selected as a NASA astronaut candidate. Kim started his training in 2017 and graduated the program on Jan. 10. He is now awaiting his first assignment, according to NASA.

Kim isn't the only new astronaut with San Diego ties: Colorado native Matthew Dominick, who also graduated last week, is a fellow Torero.

Dominick earned a bachelor's degree at University of San Diego, then a master's at the Naval Postgraduate School. As a Navy pilot he had more than 1,600 hours of flight time in 28 aircraft, completing 400 carrier-arrested landings and 61 combat missions, according to NASA.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Still a slacker. Big Grin

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7651 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:
Gosh by 34,you would think he would have done more with his life.

I know. Bowing my head as I quietly walk away.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16374 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, how does becoming an astronaut affect his military obligation?

In one of the articles earlier in the thread it mentions a 9 year commitment to be a doctor for the military, but a year after graduating he's selected to be an astronaut. Does he have to fulfill a commitment after done being an astronaut or is he the first member of the space force.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
Just out of curiosity, how does becoming an astronaut affect his military obligation?

In one of the articles earlier in the thread it mentions a 9 year commitment to be a doctor for the military, but a year after graduating he's selected to be an astronaut. Does he have to fulfill a commitment after done being an astronaut or is he the first member of the space force.

Good question. The Navy would have had to approve of him applying for astronaut training, so he is still serving as a Navy officer and I would assume they will count this time toward his commitment - but I do not know that for a fact.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:

"Please state the nature of the medical emergency!"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43799 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Yup, just another 'slacker'....Dude needs to get serious, set some goals and start working on a legacy of accomplishments before it too late! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8770 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good lord, anybody wanting to hold minorities up as being limited or, held-back, needs to take some notes with Mr. Kim

Posts: 14551 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I could have done that...no I couldn't. Mad props to Mr. Kim.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Way to go, doc!

Q

Posts: 26188 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only one word comes to my mind after reading this and it is "Amazing". True example of what people can aspire to be given the drive and God given talent.

Posts: 6838 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Glad he is one of us...

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post