SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jonny Kim-SEAL,Silver & Bronze Stars, Summa Cum Laude graduate in Math, Harvard Med School graduate, in NASA astronaut training-34 Years Old *Update*
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jonny Kim-SEAL,Silver & Bronze Stars, Summa Cum Laude graduate in Math, Harvard Med School graduate, in NASA astronaut training-34 Years Old *Update* Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
I saw a post about this guy online and thought I would share. That's a pretty impressive resume!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonny_Kim

Jonathan Yong Kim (born February 5, 1984) is an American physician, Navy SEAL, and NASA astronaut candidate of the class of 2017. He is a recipient of the Silver Star and a Bronze Star, and a graduate of the University of San Diego and Harvard Medical School.

Jonathan Kim was born on February 5, 1984 in Los Angeles, California. His parents emigrated from South Korea in the 1980s. In 2002, he graduated from Santa Monica High School in Santa Monica, California, and enlisted in the US Navy.

After completing basic training, Kim graduated from Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL training (BUD/S) class 247. After completing SEAL Qualification Training, he was assigned as a Special Warfare Operator to SEAL Team Three. He served as a combat medic and sniper on more than 100 missions on two deployments to the Middle East. He was part of the infamous "Task Unit Bruiser" (Delta and Charlie Platoons of SEAL Team 3), serving with the likes of Jocko Willink (Unit Commander), Chris Kyle, Marc Alan Lee, Kevin Lacz, and Michael A. Monsoor.

In 2009, Kim enrolled at the University of San Diego, where he joined the Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps (NROTC) and graduated summa cum laude in 2012 with a Bachelors degree in Mathematics.

Kim joined the Navy Medical Corps, and earned his Doctorate of Medicine from Harvard Medical School in 2016. Kim was a resident physician in emergency medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital until his astronaut selection.

In June 2017, Kim was selected as a member of NASA Astronaut Group 22, and began his two-year training in August.

Kim's interests include spending time with his family, volunteering with non-profit veteran organizations, and academic mentoring.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BamaJeepster,

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Gosh by 34,you would think he would have done more with his life.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
WOW. Now that is impressive.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Spending time with is family? How is that possible? Damn, quite impressive resume!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38672 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

so rare to see someone with such a rapid collection of achievement over a broad scope of knowledge

Posts: 19569 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Impressive indeed. I'm often skeptical of Wiki but it matches his official bio.

https://www.nasa.gov/astronaut.../jonny-kim/biography

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
My kids....

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4F4w58NNv0

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Notice that he graduated Summa Cum Laude with his degree in Mathematics in 3 years and he had started his residency in Emergency Medicine at Mass General before leaving for astronaut training.

Come to think of it...I think I've run across this guy a bunch of times on internet forums...SEAL, astronaut, ER doctor...Yeah, that's the ticket!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I liked the comment about him enjoying spending time with his family...

what time??

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
You should meet his mother........

quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

so rare to see someone with such a rapid collection of achievement over a broad scope of knowledge

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Just like his generation, another slacker. SmileRazz

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
A San Diego story on Johnny Kim from 2011

https://www.sandiegouniontribu...2011aug31-story.html

Jonathan Kim, such a problem child. At Santa Monica High School, he shirked his studies. Felt alienated from other students. Ignored his mother, an immigrant whose American dream included her oldest child attending college and becoming a white-collar professional.

“She was pretty upset,” the prodigal son admitted.

A real slacker, that Jonny Kim. His high school GPA? 3.67. (“Didn’t study at all,” said his brother, Jeffrey, “and he still got As.”)

His post-graduation ambition? Navy SEALs.

A corpsman, the Coronado-based SEAL completed two combat deployments to Iraq, treating wounded Americans and insurgents alike. In the 2006 battle of Ramadi, Kim approached his injured charges with a cool, focused courage.

“You control the situation,” he said, “control the bleeding, stabilize the patient as much as possible.”

Yet the corpsman felt dissatisfied. “Once you get them to the surgical center, you’ve done all you can do.”

So Kim set his sights on a fresh target: He’d return to combat zones as a Navy surgeon.

In other words, college and a profession.

Today, Kim will begin his third and final year at the University of San Diego. He’ll graduate next spring with a bachelor’s degree in mathematics and then, with luck, pursue a medical degree.

His medical school applications have been emailed to schools in California and on the East Coast, but it will be months before acceptance letters hit his San Diego mailbox. If any do.

Yet, as a teen Kim was haunted by a nagging sense of disappointment. “I didn’t work to my full potential. I felt like I wasn’t doing what I was meant to do.”

His parents, both immigrants from South Korea, knew what their two children were meant to do: excel. While the boys’ father worked long hours at the liquor store he owned, their mother ensured that they competed in classrooms and sports.

Jonathan didn’t mind working hard, but to what end? When a friend told him about the SEALs, “That was it. I knew that’s what I wanted to do.”

After completing Navy boot camp in Illinois, Kim was sent to Coronado for SEAL training. Of the roughly 180 men who began with him, fewer than 60 completed the course.

They graduated in February 2004, less than a year after the United States’ invasion of Iraq.

Tattooed on Kim’s right bicep are the names of two SEALs: Marc Lee and Michael Monsoor. The latter, who threw himself on a grenade to save his comrades in Iraq, was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor. The former, a member of Kim’s platoon, fell in a Ramadi firefight, becoming the first SEAL to die in the Iraqi conflict.

Kim knew both men, but was not involved in either man’s final mission. During his two deployments to Iraq, in 2006 and 2008, he tended to numerous wounded men, though, including at least one enemy combatant.

“At that point,” Kim said, “your mission is to help that person. And that’s all there is to it.”

Under fire, that help can be painfully limited. But the corpsman was impressed by the medicine practiced in field hospitals. “Seeing firsthand how the surgeon was there to save lives and limbs, and even to save the function of some people’s limbs — just looking at that inspired me.”

In fall 2009, he began another challenge: earning an undergraduate degree at USD as the first step in the long journey toward becoming a surgeon. He decided to major in mathematics after calculating that he could complete those studies in three years — if he took 18 to 21 units each session, including summers.

A Department of Defense program, plus scholarships from USD and Cox Communications, have helped pay his expenses. He also works part-time on campus. He has also volunteered at Balboa Naval Hospital and Sharp Memorial Hospital, when not studying or helping his wife with their new baby.

“He refers to this as the soft life,” notes Devine, “after all the things he’s gone through.”

This, uh, coddling won’t last forever. Medical school, if and when Kim wins admission, is no picnic. And should he become a surgeon, Dr. Kim will be ordered back to active duty. He’ll be required to spend at least nine years practicing medicine for the military.

“It’s a win-win situation for me,” he said. “I’ve got my undergraduate and medical school paid for while taking care of my family — and I get to come back as a doctor to take care of our guys.”

Posts: 19569 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:

Big Grin

What a loser. Big Grin

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Very impressive indeed! Sharp guy.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

Big Grin

What a loser. Big Grin

I bet him can't even spell SigForum.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
There's a joke in there somewhere about being Asian and the only career paths available to you are Doctor, Lawyer, or Engineer.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

Big Grin

What a loser. Big Grin

SIGforum? Wink

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38672 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
There's a joke in there somewhere about being Asian and the only career paths available to you are Doctor, Lawyer, or Engineer.
But his upbringing was lacking...I don't see any mention of his practicing piano for 4 hours a day

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14183 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

SIGforum? Wink

That's the problem when I pretend to be smart. Big Grin

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
There are days where I feel quite accomplished, especially for my age.

Then there are days where a guy like this blows the curve by an enormous amount.

Good for him. Clearly a stud in several ways. I'm truly impressed.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post