SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mortgage Rates, Wow
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mortgage Rates, Wow Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
And yet they don't. None of them do. And they won't. Why is that?

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I'm 9 years into a 30 year at 3.8%

so it may be a close call if it's worth it or not

I’m saving $170,000 in interest. I’d definitely check into it.

Hell, you could probably refi at 15 years at 2% or better and keep something close to your current payment.

Yes I have the mortgage lady calling me back tomorrow to chat. If my numbers are right it's a good move, a slight increase in payment but worth it for the big picture numbers.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
I just got a reply back from my current lender...will see where it goes.

I'm considering a couple different aspects.

For instance...with easy numbers as an example.

Say you refi into a significant lower rate and go back to a full 30 years. This will typically cost you $$ overall, *IF* you don't add any $$ to your principle.

Hypothetical example:

Current Mortgage: $1800/mo.
Refi to lower rate/30 year term/new payment: $1000/mo.

Pay $1200/month ($1000 base + $200 direct to principle).

Use $600 for other expenses/bills.

That extra $1200/per year would hopefully help you 'make up ground' relatively quickly on the mortgage, plus paying off other debt faster (at higher interest rates) saves you $$ on that end.

We'll see...

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My VA lender left me a VM earlier today wanting to get me into a lower rate. I just completed a rate reduction back in March/April down to 3.125. I called him back, doesn't hurt to inquire, but will be interesting to see what they come back with now.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
If you're saving a bunch of money on a refi and have a rate around 2.5%, consider investing a good share of the savings in a solid, dividend paying stock or mutual fund. I'd consider 30 year term with a chunk going to something like JNJ (Johnson and Johnson) that pays over a 2.5% dividend. Plus you likely will see appreciation over the years.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post