SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mortgage Rates, Wow
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mortgage Rates, Wow Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
with 8yrs left on a 15yr at 3.25%, I need to run some numbers and see if there's any benefit to a refi. I wouldn't want to extend past what we have left or max 10yr.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
I've reached out to a couple refi outfits...

I don't want to go back to a full 30 years...but...

If in doing so, I'd cut my monthly payment WAY down (like 40+%), I could use some of that to pay for other expenses (kids are $$!!) as well as put some of the extra $$ back directly towards the principle every month. And a straight IRRRL no inspection, etc. Plus defer a couple payments...

I'll have to have consult with someone who knows it forward and backward and see what's best overall.

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
I have 20 months left on my original 30 year loan that we refinanced to a 20 year on two no coast refinance loans lowering our rate each time. I'm not sure anyone would give us the time of day now with how little time we have left.

You’d probably spend more on closing costs than the interest you’ve got left.

^^^^^
True.

Posts: 12467 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
My lender is reaching out to me, they are offering some sort of low cost VA interest rate reduction refi. Going from 3.6% to 2.3% on a 30 year. Supposed to only cost me a couple of grand. I'm intrigued

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
I just emailed my current lender to see if they could offer some sort of matching deal...

It would be nice if they could just offer a closely competitive rate and do it all internally... simply/smoothly.

Seriously, for your current mortgage company, it should be little more than a few minutes on the computer if there's been no major life changes recently. Why the heck should that cost thousands of dollars in fees Roll Eyes? Rhetorical question (answer: $$)

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mholmes:
I’m stuck in the middle, 13 years left on a 15 year loan at 3.125%. Current rates don’t justify us refinancing.

If you can get a lower interest rate without paying points, closing costs, etc. (and most programs offer that; most you pay is for the home appraisal) then it's economically justified.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:

Oh, I was not arguing the financial aspects. The psychological aspects of slogging through a 30 year note are tough for me. With a 15 or a 20, you feel like you are making progress.

Because you are making progress. Banks love you for your 30 year loans even when people have the intention to “manually” knock it down to 15.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'll find out how low they will stay. I will be buying a home this summer. Likely going to use USAA for the loan. They've been pretty easy to deal with for my auto loan.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I'll find out how low they will stay. I will be buying a home this summer. Likely going to use USAA for the loan. They've been pretty easy to deal with for my auto loan.

Edmond, best of luck with the home purchase. I just moved into my new home on Black Friday. I used Veteran's United and the process was smooth as can be and my broker was very good to work with. It may at least be worth your time to check them out as well.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss1:
I just emailed my current lender to see if they could offer some sort of matching deal...

It would be nice if they could just offer a closely competitive rate and do it all internally... simply/smoothly.

Seriously, for your current mortgage company, it should be little more than a few minutes on the computer if there's been no major life changes recently. Why the heck should that cost thousands of dollars in fees Roll Eyes? Rhetorical question (answer: $$)

$.02 worth,
Boss

Because the money's got to get made somewhere. What's the incentive for your current lender to agree to lower your interest rates for free when you're contracted at a certain rate for a fixed period of time? Remember that the way mortgages work is that the interest is paid in much higher quantity up front, too, so if you're X years in and refinance, a lot of the juice has already been squeezed so retaining the original note is probably worth less, too, than selling you a new one.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:

$.02 worth,
Boss

Because the money's got to get made somewhere. What's the incentive for your current lender to agree to lower your interest rates for free when you're contracted at a certain rate for a fixed period of time? Remember that the way mortgages work is that the interest is paid in much higher quantity up front, too, so if you're X years in and refinance, a lot of the juice has already been squeezed so retaining the original note is probably worth less, too, than selling you a new one.

The incentive is they lose the interest payments when you switch to a new lender. Years ago, I was just looking through mortgage rates online. I may have entered my name and contact info.

Son of a gun, my mortgage holder which was a major bank called me up and asked if I would like to get a lower mortgage rate at no cost. I don't think it was coincidence. I figure they pay the website to get names of prospects and current customers.

I went for it.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
Edmond, best of luck with the home purchase. I just moved into my new home on Black Friday. I used Veteran's United and the process was smooth as can be and my broker was very good to work with. It may at least be worth your time to check them out as well.

remsig,

I have not heard of them but I am looking through their website now. I'm definitely open to options, the more the better.

Not a fan of PenFed as they make it a pain to pay extra.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
quote:

$.02 worth,
Boss

The incentive is they lose the interest payments when you switch to a new lender.

Ding ding ding.

At least get competitive. If another mortgage company is going to beat your interest rate by a couple points, you need to up your game...and it shouldn't take too much for you update a few computer entries on that fancy software and get a few forms signed by by a current client...

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
It's never simple/easy.

posted Hide Post
quote:

The incentive is they lose the interest payments when you switch to a new lender. Years ago, I was just looking through mortgage rates online. I may have entered my name and contact info.

I get that in theory, but since you're paying substantially more in interest than principal the earlier you are in the loan, the potential incentive to want to keep you really exists less the more time goes on. Then, as long as they can compete on rates (and most banks seem to), they can start the whole process over again (with the interest front-loaded) selling you a new loan. And don't forget that a lot of loans end up being sold by the bank anyway. My last two refinances were sold before payments started.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I'm 9 years into a 30 year at 3.8%

so it may be a close call if it's worth it or not

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
I don't see how it wouldn't be. If you're not doing cash out, you should be able to get close to 2.62%. Even if you only got 2.75, that's a big chunk of interest you won't be paying.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
We just locked at 2.5% with -.75 pt. Dropping from 3.5. Will save us $500 a month.

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond: remsig,

I have not heard of them but I am looking through their website now. I'm definitely open to options, the more the better.

Not a fan of PenFed as they make it a pain to pay extra.

Edmond, If you are interested, I could email you the brokers name/email address that I used from Veteran's United.

Also, I have 2 USAA Visa cards. The interest rates are good, but that's where my love stops with them. I've had my card hacked 2x in the last 18 months and it was a HORRIBLE experience getting them to help me.

I've also priced them for car and house insurance, and they weren't even in the ballpark of what I was paying/going to pay. They say they are for veterans but I would beg to differ with my experience with their "customer service."

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I'm 9 years into a 30 year at 3.8%

so it may be a close call if it's worth it or not

I’m saving $170,000 in interest. I’d definitely check into it.

Hell, you could probably refi at 15 years at 2% or better and keep something close to your current payment.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I get that in theory, but since you're paying substantially more in interest than principal the earlier you are in the loan, the potential incentive to want to keep you really exists less the more time goes on. Then, as long as they can compete on rates (and most banks seem to), they can start the whole process over again (with the interest front-loaded) selling you a new loan. And don't forget that a lot of loans end up being sold by the bank anyway. My last two refinances were sold before payments started.

The interest payments paid in the past does not enter into the calculation. What matters is the return the bank is getting.

For example (and I'm making the numbers big to make the point obvious), if years ago your original loan was for $1.5 million at 5% and what's left is $500,000 and the going rate is 3%.

The bank knows your payment history and your likelihood to default is low. It makes its money by lending out money on the margin difference between what it gets for mortgage interest and what it pays for its money.

It's a slam dunk decision to offer you 3% on the remaining $500,000 than it is to go out and find a $500,000 loan to fund.

It's similar if your loan is now $300,000 or $100,000. In those cases, the bank will tempt you to get money out even to increase their interest receipts.

That your last two refinances were sold before payments started is an indication that you paid a higher rate than the going rate big banks are offering. That's what the finance companies do. They make the money by selling your loan to big banks who can tie up their money for the term of the loan. They made their money by whatever points or origination fees you paid plus the difference between what the interest rate they charged you and what the bank would otherwise get. When they sell the loan, that frees up their capital to go and fund another loan. Rinse and repeat.

It's not theory. It's just math.