SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mortgage Rates, Wow
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mortgage Rates, Wow Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't imagine trying to buy a house in 1982 at almost 18% interest!

It was no fun, I can attest to that.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
I locked 15yr at 2.5% no points today. No plans to move and at the very least we will save $10k in interest over the life of the loan.

Awesome!!!

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I locked 15yr at 2.5% no points today. No plans to move and at the very least we will save $10k in interest over the life of the loan.
Can you share which lender this is with?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
First house I bought was in 1978 and my loan was 8 3/4%. Bought my fruit stand property in 1981 owner financed @ 9% and felt like I'd made the deal of the century.

Yeah, it's interesting to look back at mortgage rates for the past 50 years, with the average being around 7-10 percent, but with multiple spikes into the teens in certain years.

http://www.freddiemac.com/pmms/pmms30.html

Really hammers home what an amazing opportunity it is right now, with the lowest mortgage rates in the past few generations.

And I can't imagine trying to buy a house in 1982 at almost 18% interest!

Yes, but what they don't tell you is that closing costs are 5% higher (of the entire sale price of the home) over paying cash, which is about a 1% of sales price. And a lot of people don't keep a house longer than 5 years, so the government makes their doc stamps and etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

I can't comment for sasquatch, but here's the website for U.S. Bank (my lender).

https://www.usbank.com/home-lo.../mortgage-rates.html

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Wow. I can't believe the rates I am seeing in this thread. Eek

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just closed yesterday on a 15yr refi @ 2.5%.

Zero points, $1400 closing costs including appraisal, title recording, etc.

Cut a year off my loan, will save $34k over the balance of the loan, AND walked away with $5k cash out!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Yes, but what they don't tell you is that closing costs are 5% higher (of the entire sale price of the home) over paying cash, which is about a 1% of sales price.

So? What's that got to do with the ridiculously low interest rates?

Realistically, how many people (especialy first time homeowners) can reach into their back pocket and pay cash for a house?

Therefore, would you rather pay 5% closing costs with 18% interest for 30 years, or 5% closing costs with 3% interest for 30 years?

Besides, my closing costs are nowhere near 5%... They're around 2%. And they're being paid by the seller anyway, in my case.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Yes, but what they don't tell you is that closing costs are 5% higher (of the entire sale price of the home) over paying cash, which is about a 1% of sales price.

So? What's that got to do with ridiculously low interest rates?

Would you rather pay 5% closing costs and 18% interest, or 5% closing costs and 2.5% interest?

And realistically, how many people (especialy first time homeowners) can reach into their back pocket and pay cash for a house?

Because a lot of times, someone that's been in a 3.5% mortgage for 4.5 years is better off staying, rather than switching to another 30 year mortgage at 2.5% plus all of the closing costs added in. Putting it out there for the people that keep refinancing every 6-18 months for a better rate, but don't realize what the closing costs are, the extra months of interest they're adding, and think they're moving forward but when you sit down and do the math, actually going backwards. It's real easy to do the math. Multiply the number of existing remaining payments by amount.......then do the same with the new mortgage......

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
We're talking about two different things.

You're talking about refinancing. I'm talking about buying.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I can't comment for sasquatch, but here's the website for U.S. Bank (my lender).
US Banks' Texas refi rates are higher.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We're talking about two different things.

You're talking about refinancing. I'm talking about buying.

Yes, and many others are talking about refinancing.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Then you should have quoted one of them instead.

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
US Banks' Texas refi rates are higher.

I've re-fi'd twice with US Bank using those published rates. Both times they have balked at me saying those are not re-fi rates. I then explain to them that the website says nothing about those rates only being for new customers. I throw out the term "Bait & Switch" and tell that that is the rate that they advertise, and that is the rate I want. On both occasions they have relented and given me the rate posted on that site.

Doesn't hurt to ask and press them on it!

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

So? What's that got to do with ridiculously low interest rates?

Would you rather pay 5% closing costs and 18% interest, or 5% closing costs and 2.5% interest?

And realistically, how many people (especialy first time homeowners) can reach into their back pocket and pay cash for a house?

Because a lot of times, someone that's been in a 3.5% mortgage for 4.5 years is better off staying, rather than switching to another 30 year mortgage at 2.5% plus all of the closing costs added in. Putting it out there for the people that keep refinancing every 6-18 months for a better rate, but don't realize what the closing costs are, the extra months of interest they're adding, and think they're moving forward but when you sit down and do the math, actually going backwards. It's real easy to do the math. Multiply the number of existing remaining payments by amount.......then do the same with the new mortgage......

There is literally nobody that is paying a 5% closing costs that have any reasonable credit score over 700, unless you are buying down points. None of my new home purchases came remotely close to 3% either.

For those people refinancing, most banks accept appraisals that are less than 18 months old, and in most instances do not require a survey. In some instances, the closing can be done without a closing attorney for the mortgager. I have done five refinancing in 20 years, and I have never paid more than 1.45%. If you are paying more than 2%, you are doing something wrong, or your amount you are mortgaging is so low that fixed costs would make it untenable.

As for the calculation on how to breakeven, there are a number of calculators out there, but for simplicity, you take the previous mortgage payment less the amounts you are having put into escrow as a baseline. You take the new mortgage rate and rebuild your amortization (balance of house plus any refi costs you plan to roll in), and calculate the payment based on the previous unamortized period.

Example:
You bought a $160,000 house in June 2010 at a rate of 5%. After 10 years, your principal balance is $130,147.30, and you have 20 year left. Current 30 year rates are 3.25% for 30 years, but to calculate the breakeven you base it off the existing duration and add back in any refi costs. Assume they are 1.5%, meaning you would amortize $132,100 (roughly), for 20 years, which gives you $749.26, meaning you save $109.65/ month. I won't go into tax consequences as over 78% of people took standard deductions for TY 2018.

If the cost to refi was $1,952.21, you divide it by the $109.65 to get 17.8, or 17.8 months to breakeven. If you plan to move or sell in less than 18 months, it would be a loosing proposition.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:

For those people refinancing, most banks accept appraisals that are less than 18 months old, and in most instances do not require a survey. In some instances, the closing can be done without a closing attorney for the mortgager. I have done five refinancing in 20 years, and I have never paid more than 1.45%. If you are paying more than 2%, you are doing something wrong, or your amount you are mortgaging is so low that fixed costs would make it untenable.

As for the calculation on how to breakeven, there are a number of calculators out there, but for simplicity, you take the previous mortgage payment less the amounts you are having put into escrow as a baseline. You take the new mortgage rate and rebuild your amortization (balance of house plus any refi costs you plan to roll in), and calculate the payment based on the previous unamortized period.

Example:
You bought a $160,000 house in June 2010 at a rate of 5%. After 10 years, your principal balance is $130,147.30, and you have 20 year left. Current 30 year rates are 3.25% for 30 years, but to calculate the breakeven you base it off the existing duration and add back in any refi costs. Assume they are 1.5%, meaning you would amortize $132,100 (roughly), for 20 years, which gives you $749.26, meaning you save $109.65/ month. I won't go into tax consequences as over 78% of people took standard deductions for TY 2018.

If the cost to refi was $1,952.21, you divide it by the $109.65 to get 17.8, or 17.8 months to breakeven. If you plan to move or sell in less than 18 months, it would be a loosing proposition.

Here in Florida closing costs run 5-6%, it has ZERO to do with credit, the bulk of those expenses are the States doc stamps (tax) and the lenders and sellers title insurance (which the buyer is required to pay in the 3 largest counties), then you have survey cost, appraisal cost, need a wind mitigation report done. On a cash purchase it runs 1% +/- as there are no Doc stamps or lenders title insurance you need to pay.

First off, the first 10 years of any 30 year mortgage your mortgage payment goes to paying almost all of it to the interest and not principle.

That is not how you calculate whether or not it's better to refinance. You take the sum of all of the remaining payments of your current mortgage. Then all of the costs and all of the payments of the new mortgage and get a total. Whichever total sum of all payments is cheaper, would determine whether it's better to refinance or not. Refinancing a mortgage with 20 years left, with a 30 year mortgage is almost always going in the wrong direction and you'll never be free and clear of mortgage payments or own the house outright. It's a different story if you have 20 years left and go to a 15 year mortgage or 20 year mortgage, but the majority of people don't do that.

Paying an extra payment a year on an existing mortgage also greatly lowers your effective interest rate as the interest on a fixed mortgage is calculated (amortization table) based upon paying all 180 or 360 payments, when you pay more, it undercuts the principle and effectively lowers the effective interest rate and greatly shortens the mortgage.

If you've refinanced 5 times in the last 20 years, YOU are doing something wrong. The last property I bought with a mortgage was Dec 2005, I paid the mortgage off 2 years ago. I also bought 2 sizeable properties, one December 2009 and one in November 2013 and paid cash for both of them. It's REALLY easy to get ahead when you're not surrounded with debt you're carrying. Problem is, everyone wants to live the high life, and not sacrifice a little for 5 years to knock all of their debt out, or lower it significantly so all of their income goes to paying debt payments (mortgage, car, credit cards, equity line, etc. etc.).

But, we're getting severely off topic here, so that's all I have to say.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Here in Florida closing costs run 5-6%, it has ZERO to do with credit, the bulk of those expenses are the States doc stamps (tax) and the lenders and sellers title insurance (which the buyer is required to pay in the 3 largest counties), then you have survey cost, appraisal cost, need a wind mitigation report done. On a cash purchase it runs 1% +/- as there are no Doc stamps or lenders title insurance you need to pay.

First off, the first 10 years of any 30 year mortgage your mortgage payment goes to paying almost all of it to the interest and not principle.

I would not consider 71% in the first 10 years of a 5% mortgage to be considered "all"

That is not how you calculate whether or not it's better to refinance. You take the sum of all of the remaining payments of your current mortgage. Then all of the costs and all of the payments of the new mortgage and get a total. Whichever total sum of all payments is cheaper, would determine whether it's better to refinance or not. Refinancing a mortgage with 20 years left, with a 30 year mortgage is almost always going in the wrong direction and you'll never be free and clear of mortgage payments or own the house outright. It's a different story if you have 20 years left and go to a 15 year mortgage or 20 year mortgage, but the majority of people don't do that.

I never said that - I said breakeven. What you are saying needs to take NPV into consideration.

Paying an extra payment a year on an existing mortgage also greatly lowers your effective interest rate as the interest on a fixed mortgage is calculated (amortization table) based upon paying all 180 or 360 payments, when you pay more, it undercuts the principle and effectively lowers the effective interest rate and greatly shortens the mortgage.

Paying your mortgage every 2 weeks also reduces interest cost, but neither LOWERS YOUR EFFECTIVE APR, it changes the terms.

If you've refinanced 5 times in the last 20 years, YOU are doing something wrong. The last property I bought with a mortgage was Dec 2005, I paid the mortgage off 2 years ago. I also bought 2 sizeable properties, one December 2009 and one in November 2013 and paid cash for both of them. It's REALLY easy to get ahead when you're not surrounded with debt you're carrying. Problem is, everyone wants to live the high life, and not sacrifice a little for 5 years to knock all of their debt out, or lower it significantly so all of their income goes to paying debt payments (mortgage, car, credit cards, equity line, etc. etc.).

Three houses in 20 years. Refinanced in 2000 to 5.25%, refinanced in 2002 to 4.375%, Sold in 2006 to buy bigger house at 5.25%, refinanced in 2008 before the market fell out at 4.25%, then refinanced again in 2010 using the HARP program to a 2.75%-15 year loan. Sold in November 2018 and bought anew at 5%, refinanced in May 2019 at 4.125%. IF I could score a 2.635% for 15 years, my payment would go up by less than $300, and I'd probably do it, but the lenders around here have 3/8 of the point different between origination and refi mortgages because they are so busy. Not sure the value of the house you paid off in 15 years, but good for you. I had 4 years left on our last house before we moved, but didn't see staying there as a choice. Paying off a $140K mortgage is a little easier than paying off a $400K mortgage, and some people only make so much.

But, we're getting severely off topic here, so that's all I have to say.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
And it begins...

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Simmons Bank.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
People can't help themselves and end up pulling money out and often times not knocking any years off their loan because it feels like free money. Do it if you can drop years off your payment, you will be thanking yourself when you send in that last payment.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post