SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The 2020-2021 Annual Big Ten Football Thread - tOSU vs Bama National Championship Pg 14
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2020-2021 Annual Big Ten Football Thread - tOSU vs Bama National Championship Pg 14 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I do not watch game day either. I prefer watching the games with the radio play by play or none at all. I hate color commentary unless it is intellgent, and it seldom is. We will see how much pull OSU has in terms of playing in the Championship. They are clearly a talented team.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’d go so far as to support Ohio State and TAMU playing on the now open date, in spite of the Conference’s earlier prohibition. Warren already looks like a fool, not likely he’d fall on that grenade.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Agree that would be a game to watch.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I haven’t watched GameDay all season; I’m not on board with their “thanks.” Somehow, the SEC and Big 12 hanging on the actions of the ACC seems a stretch, even with ND in the conference.
+1
Nebraska, Ohio State, and several outspoken players on other teams saved the Big Ten season. Going to have to bring something stronger than the weak suace in the Saturday Down South SEC fanboy op ed piece to change my mind.

Agreed.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Indiana pauses football team activities, puts game with Purdue in doubt

Well, tOSU and Purdue could play. Whoopin' Purdue's ass wouldn't give 'em any street cred, but it would give them 6 games.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23260 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Big Ten Conference eliminated the minimum-game requirement to qualify for the conference’s championship game on Wednesday. The decision advanced Ohio State into the Dec. 19 title game from Indianapolis despite the Buckeyes playing just five regular-season games this season.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Good for the Big Ten big whigs! It was the right decision.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23260 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a surprise! You know even if you thought that way you should keep your mouth shut.

To nobody's surprise, Swinney thinks his Tigers should be in the playoff field over the Buckeyes even if they suffer a second loss to Notre Dame in the ACC championship game because Ohio State has played only six games and Clemson will finish with 11.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Week 8 (All times Central Time Zone):
It's the last week of the regular season which means that it's rivalry weekend for most of the Big Ten. Unfortunately, the two rivalries I watch every year ("The Game" and "The Old Oaken Bucket" are cancelled.
Canceled:
  • UofM @ #4 tOSU - UofM canceled due to COVID
  • Purdue @ #12 IU - The Hosers canceled due to fear of Purdue Big Grin and COVID
    Saturday:
  • IL @ #14 NWU at 11:00 on ESPN2 - The Wildcats are favored by 13.5 points. Statistically, the Wildcats are 3 ppg better on offense (oddly enough NWU is the better passing team) and vastly superior on defense by 17 ppg. As far as common opponents: NWU squeeked by IA but IL got beat by 14, both beat NE but IL by larger margin, and NWU beat Purdue by 7 but Purdue beat IL by 7. Should be fairly miserable weather at 43 and raining. Typically, rain makes the better rushing team have the advantage but IMO NWU's defense is the difference maker. NWU wins but fails to cover.
  • MN @ NE at 11:00 on FS1 - The Cornhuskers are favored by 9.0. MN is better on O by about 7 ppg (similar rushing and passsing yardage though), and NE is better on D by 3 ppg (don't get to write that often). As far as common opponents: both beat Purdue but NE had larger margin of victory, both lost to IA but NE loss by much less, and MN whipped IL but NE got whipped. MN has been off the past two weekends, but on the other hand NE turned the corner last weekend by winning. As far as weather, it's high 20s and overcast so no huge impact. If both Ibrahim and Morgan are playing well then MN is very hard to beat, but if Martinez plays like last weekend NE is formidable. I'm going with MN to pull off the upset.
  • MSU @ PSU at 11:00 on ABC - The Nittany Lions are favored by 15.5. Statistically PSU is a 7 ppg better offense and 5 ppg better defense. Behind the stats, MSU is a poor rushing team and their QB left the game last week with a head injury so if he can't play a freshman starts. It's supposed to be 40 and partly sunny which should be good for passing. As far as common opponents: they both beat UofM (nothing to brag about in 2020) and both got whooped by IA. Nittany Lions win but fail to cover.
  • Rutgers @ MD at 11:00 on BTN - The Terps are favored by 6.5, but Taulia Tagovailoa is out today. I hope Rutgers pulls off the upset.
  • WI @ #16 IA at 2:30 on FS1 - In what is likely to be the best game of the day the Badgers are favored by 2.0. Statistically, IA is 6 ppg better on offense, but WI are 5 ppg better on defense (both are excellent defenses). Both teams are close to 50/50 rushing and passing. As far as common opponents: they both beat IL but WI won by larger margin. The last two games, WI has faced better competition (#12 and #19) and lost by 8 to 10 points, but they have faced much better competition than IA. IA has really turned around their 0-2 start, but they haven't faced a ranked opponent. WI wins and covers.

•  
    posted Hide Post
    At least we won't have to hear any complaints about the Gators not making the playoffs after last night's loss. Would love to see them upset 'Bama though.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Week 8 Wrap-up:
  • IL @ #14 NWU at 11:00 on ESPN2 - I was correct on winner but wrong on spread. As predicted, weather made passing irrelevant (teams combined for 14 for 34 for 189 yards) and NWU had a much better defense. What I didn't expect was NWU rushing for 411 yards.
  • MN @ NE at 11:00 on FS1 - As predicted, MN to pulled off the upset. In addition to being rusty from the 2-week layoff they played yesterday without 33 players. I watched most of this game. MN had a 2 turnover advantage, and more total offense.
  • MSU @ PSU at 11:00 on ABC - As predicted, Nittany Lions won but failed to cover (1/2 point from covering). PSU was down 21-10 at one point, but made some key half-time adjustments with the net result outscoring MSU 29-3 in 2nd half. PSU started off 0-5, but rallied back to finish the season 3-5. Honorable mention cheers goes to MSU's freshman back-up QB who threw 22 completions for 325 yards, 3 TDs (1 INT on opening drive) which is good considering the pressure PSU had on him.
  • Rutgers @ MD at 11:00 on BTN - I didn't make a prediction, but my hope that Rutgers won came true. Game ended up in OT with Rutgers hitting their FG and MD missing a 50 yarder to lose. Be sure to read the jeers section about this game. Honorable mention cheers goes to MD's 3rd string QB. Star starter didn't play for undisclosed reasons, 2nd string QB didn't get the job done, and Najarian came in to complete 12 passes for 218 yards with 2 TDs and 0 INTs.
  • WI @ #16 IA at 2:30 on FS1 - I was getting pretty cocky after my 11 AM predictions, but I was completely wrong on winner and spread on this game. I watched about the last 2/3 of this game. First half was a defensive battle with IA kicking 2 FGs going into halftime leading 6-0. Then, they traded TDs in the 3rd quarter, but WI stopped scoring (2 punts, drive ended on downs, and threw an INT) and meanwhile IA scored an additional 2 TDs. WI actually had a 7 minute time of possession advantage, but had 1 more turnover. The biggest differentiator was IA averaged double the yards per carry and yards per catch.

Cheers:
  • MN RB Ibrahim - Averaged over 5 ypc and had 2 TDs. Also, became the first Power 5 conference player in 20 years to 900+ rush yards and 15 TD in 6 games.
  • NWU Defense - Held IL to 155 yards rushing and 0 rushing TDs. They're really the hearbeat of this team.
  • NWU o-line - paved the way for 411 yards rushing, 3 rushing TDs, and 2 RBs having over 140 yards rushing.
  • PSU QB Clifford - 17 completions for 232 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs plush rushed for 48 yards and a TD (0 fumbles). At one point this season he was benched, but his perseverence is a big reason they turned their season around.
  • PSU defense - they locked things down in the 2nd half forcing 5 punts, only allowing 8 first downs, and only giving up a FG. Overall, they had 4 sacks, 5 hurries, 10 tackles for loss, and only gave up 64 yards rushing.
  • Rutgers WR Melton - This is not a typo as he had 2 rushes for 62 yards and 2 rushing TDs. He also had 5 catches for 44 yards.
  • Rutgers back-up QB Sitkowski - after starter leaves game from dirty play (see jeers), Sitkowski came in near the end of the 3rd quarter to throw 21 completions for 148 yards and a TD (0 INT). The brief time he was under center the offense scored 17 of their 27 points (a passing TD, a rushing TD, and a FG).
  • IA QB Petras - 14 completions for 211 yards and 2 passing TDs (0 INT, 0 Fumbles). The first years starter is a big reason IA turned their 0-2 start around to finish the season 6-2 and in the Top 20.
  • IA WR Smith-Marsette - he had 7 receptions for 140 yards and 2 TDs

Jeers:
  • MD defensive lineman Finau - tackled Rutgers starting QB and after the play blown dead wrenches on his foot (Twitter video not as good as Big Ten Network's coverage of it, but I can't find a link). QB ends up out for the game and standing on the sideline on crutches. Very dirty play, and he deserves a suspension.
  • IA WR Smith-Marsette - on his 2nd TD, he decided to showboat and do a flip into the end zone. However, he didn't stick the landing and ended up injured. Gravity is a bitch and so is karma.

Next week:
  • #14 NWU @ #4 tOSU at 11:00 on Fox - This is the Big Ten Championship and is being played at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.
  • I have no idea what else occurs. There is talk of #2 East playing #2 west (#3 vs #3, #4 vs #4, etc), but then there is talk of some make-up games for cancelled rivalry games (e.g. Purdue and IU). I guess we'll learn more in the next day or two.

•  
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Yesterday, the Big Ten announced this weekends games (obviously subject to COVID cancellations). Some games are east vs west with similar standings, and other are make-ups for past week's cancellations.

Friday:
  • NE @ Rutgers at 6:30 on BTN
  • Purdue @ IU at 6:30 on BTN - This one is very likely cancelled as IU suspended activites last Tuesday due to COVID and late last week Purdue did the same thing. CANCELED!

Saturday:
  • #14 NWU @ #4 tOSU at 11:00 on Fox in Indianapolis - This is the Big Ten Championship
  • MN @ WI at 3:00 on BTN
  • IL @ PSU at 4:30 on FS1
  • UofM @ IA at 6:00 on ESPN CANCELED!
  • MSU @ MD at 6:30 on BTN CANCELED!

EDIT:
    1. Updated the 3 games that have been canceled as of 12/17
    2. Added new start time for NE @ Rutgers

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

•  
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Congrats to the 2020 All Big Ten honorees.

Purdue's Zander Horvath is a neat story. The junior was a walk-on, but now is our leading rusher and a very good receiver. I like that he wears Alstott's old number and can run over people like Alstott, but also frequently hurdles people.

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    It's not too late to make your predictions on who the Big Ten champion will be. Here are my predictions.

Friday:
  • NE @ Rutgers at 6:30 on BTN - the Cornhuskers are favored by 6.5 points. Rutgers QB Vedral is a game time decision. Statistically, these two teams are pretty evenly matched with Rutgers have a 5 ppg edge on offense and NE having a 2 ppg edge on defense. As far as common opponents both lost to IL (NE lost by 6x more), both beat Purdue, both got a beatdown by tOSU, NE beat PSU but Rutgers lost. I'm going with Rutgers to pull off the upset.

Saturday:
  • #14 NWU @ #4 tOSU at 11:00 on Fox in Indianapolis for the Big Ten Championship - The Buckeyes are favored by 20 points. Statistically, the Buckeyes are 21 ppg better on offense (100 yards better passing and 80 yards better rushing), and the Wildcats are 9 ppg better on defense. tOSU hasn't seen a defense like this all season, and the Wildcats haven't seen an offense like this all season. As far as common opponents tOSU whipped MSU but NWU lost and both beat NE (tOSU beat 'em by 4x more). I'm going with the Buckeyes to win but failing to cover.
  • MN @ WI at 3:00 on BTN - The Badgers are favored by 12.5 points. Statistically, the Gophers are 6 ppg better on offense and the Badgers are 16 ppg better on defense. This is a case where offensive stats are misleading because MN's offense is on the upswing and WI's is a single digit ppg trainwreck. I'd peg MN's offense as 3 TDs per game better. As far as common opponents both lost to IA, both whooped IL, and WI whooped MI but MN got curb stomped. I'm going with the Gophers to pull off the upset.
  • IL @ PSU at 4:30 on FS1 - PSU is favored by 15.5 points. IL canned Lovie Smith earlier this week so offensive coordinator Rod Smith will be interim head coach. PSU is better statistically in every stat except rushing offense. PSU has a good rush defense and if they shutdown the Illini run their passing game can't win on its own. As far as common opponents both beat Rutgers (PSU won by 7x more), both lost to IA, and IL beat NE but PSU lost. PSU wins and covers.

CANCELED:
  • Purdue @ IU
  • UofM @ IA
  • MSU @ MD

EDIT:
    1. Added MSU @ MD cancelation
    2. Updated NE @ Rutgers start time

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

•  
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    One correction, Todd. The Nebraska/Rutgers game was moved to evening with the cancellation of one of those 3 games you mentioned. Game time is now 6:30 Central, BTN

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ch23701
    posted Hide Post
    Big prediction here!!! The NU Cats defense proves to be too much for daOSU offense. The Cats win this one and go on to be the B1G Champions. They send retiring Defensive Coordinator Mike Hankwitz out with his 400th victory. I can already see the headlines Sunday morning.....

Here's to hoping dreams come true!

Posts: 257 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: September 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Do you take drugs that cause euphoria and disorded thinking?

posted Hide Post
    To be more specific. From the WSJ:

Northwestern isn’t given much of a chance. Well, maybe they’re given a chance, but it’s a courtesy chance, the kind the cashier gives with a Powerball ticket—an “anything can happen” chance, because we’re supposed to be a polite society, and that’s the sort of optimism the civilized among us project. The Wildcats have been invited to participate in a football contest this upcoming Saturday, and in the football contest, they could score more points than the Ohio State Buckeyes. Theoretically, it could occur. Crazy happens! It does. Sometimes.

PopeDaddy
    Picture of x0225095
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by NOCkid:
    The OSU-Michigan game has been canceled, hopefully the Buckeyes won't get screwed out a chance at the Championship.

‘Get screwed out of a chance at the Championship”?

Oh OSU will get in but it will be because of money, and reputation and the coronation factor. But they don’t deserve it. They are clearly a good team but they’ve only played five games. Sorry, that’s not even half a season and it shouldn’t be enough to be considered as this season’s champion.

If you want to talk “getting screwed”, talk Cincinnati or Coastal Carolina. They are eligible but they won’t even get consideration for competing on the field. It’s a sham.

Maybe one day we will get a playoff.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by x0225095:
    quote:
    Originally posted by NOCkid:
    The OSU-Michigan game has been canceled, hopefully the Buckeyes won't get screwed out a chance at the Championship.

‘Get screwed out of a chance at the Championship”?

Oh OSU will get in but it will be because of money, and reputation and the coronation factor. But they don’t deserve it. They are clearly a good team but they’ve only played five games. Sorry, that’s not even half a season and it shouldn’t be enough to be considered as this season’s champion.
    Your post is a good example of posting prior to reading the ENTIRE thread. You quoted an 11 day old post that was resolved 8 days ago. tOSU is playing in the Big Ten Championship in 45 minutes.