SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The 2020-2021 Annual Big Ten Football Thread - tOSU vs Bama National Championship Pg 14
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2020-2021 Annual Big Ten Football Thread - tOSU vs Bama National Championship Pg 14 Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Bret Bielema is the new head coach at Illinois. Last time that Bielema coached in the Big Ten it was at WI and he was 68-24 with 3 Rose Bowl appearances.

Illinois is a tough place to recruit, and I wonder if he'll have another Arkansas on his hands or if he can do what Alvarez did at WI (Bielema's predecessor at WI who made WI into a perennial contender).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
quote:
Originally posted by NOCkid:
The OSU-Michigan game has been canceled, hopefully the Buckeyes won't get screwed out a chance at the Championship.

‘Get screwed out of a chance at the Championship”?

Oh OSU will get in but it will be because of money, and reputation and the coronation factor. But they don’t deserve it. They are clearly a good team but they’ve only played five games. Sorry, that’s not even half a season and it shouldn’t be enough to be considered as this season’s champion.
Your post is a good example of posting prior to reading the ENTIRE thread. You quoted an 11 day old post that was resolved 8 days ago. tOSU is playing in the Big Ten Championship in 45 minutes.

Makes no difference to me or my point .... Ok bSix games after today. That’s half a season.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Illinois is a tough place to recruit, and I wonder if he'll have another Arkansas on his hands or if he can do what Alvarez did at WI (Bielema's predecessor at WI who made WI into a perennial contender).

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah. Competing against ND,Michigan,Wisconsin for top talent. Naming stars from their team is difficult. Let's see Red Grange and Dick Butkus. Oh and George Halas himself.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
The OSU-Michigan game has been canceled, hopefully the Buckeyes won't get screwed out a chance at the Championship.

Oh OSU will get in but it will be because of money, and reputation and the coronation factor. But they don’t deserve it. They are clearly a good team but they’ve only played five games. Sorry, that’s not even half a season and it shouldn’t be enough to be considered as this season’s champion.
Your post is a good example of posting prior to reading the ENTIRE thread. You quoted an 11 day old post that was resolved 8 days ago. tOSU is playing in the Big Ten Championship in 45 minutes.

Makes no difference to me or my point .... Ok bSix games after today. That’s half a season.
Makes a big difference if you're posting about the championship since the Big Ten only had a 8-game season. Either that or you're confusing the terms playoffs and championship because you quoted a post about the Big Ten Championship.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like Northwestern doesn't read the WSJ.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh is the game over?? Last I checked OSU was leading.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Looks like Northwestern doesn't read the WSJ.
Last week at the post game press conference, Coach Fitz essentially said “be sure to write a bunch of stuff about how we don’t stand a chance against tOSU so I can post it on the bulletin board for motivation.”

posted Hide Post
Frankly neither team looks very good. Interceptions, fumbles and missed field goals. Hard to perform when you play less than ten games.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Oh is the game over?? Last I checked OSU was leading.

Win or lose, they aren't getting steam-rolled by OSU as the WSJ predicted. The line is 20.5, so Vegas is already losers unless OSU pulls a miracle out of their hat.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the record book it is still a loss. Sometimes the mouse beats the lion. Not today.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Congrats to The Ohio State Buckeyes for being the 2020 Big Ten Champions.

Not very many teams play defense anymore so tip of the cap to NWU for making tOSU earn it. They completely befuddled the passing attack. Yesterday, I got to watch an Urban Meyer and Gerry DiNardo breakdown of the unique NWU coverage package and it certainly worked today.

4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
tOSU defense really stepped up in the second half. Hillard was nothing short of amazing,
I think Justin Field's thumb was hurt worse than he wants to admit His passing game was Not there. Sermon earned the MVP .. but the game was won by the defense.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9072 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Makes a big difference if you're posting about the championship since the Big Ten only had a 8-game season. Either that or you're confusing the terms playoffs and championship because you quoted a post about the Big Ten Championship.

OSU is the only team in the top ten with 6 total games played...and 4 of those 6 were played at home. 6 games spaced out over about 13 weeks. Yeah, No thanks. That is no championship resume. Whether the BIG 10 wants to call that a season and a championship is their business. It is not, in my opinion, enough to play for the national championship. You don’t have to like it or agree.

I’d much rather see Coastal Carolina play in the championship series at 11-0 than watch a fresh OSU team having only played in half as many games.

OSU clearly hasn’t earned it.

And thus, it is teams like Coastal Carolina that are getting screwed not poor little OSU.

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

OSU is the only team in the top ten with 6 total games played...and 4 of those 6 were played at home. 6 games spaced out over about 13 weeks. Yeah, No thanks. That is no championship resume. Whether the BIG 10 wants to call that a season and a championship is their business. It is not, in my opinion, enough to play for the national championship. You don’t have to like it or agree.

I’d much rather see Coastal Carolina play in the championship series at 11-0 than watch a fresh OSU team having only played in half as many games.

And thus, it is teams like Coastal Carolina that are getting screwed not poor little OSU.
Listen troll. You came into a thread with an agenda without reading the thread or understanding what you were quoting. You chose to quote a post about UofM canceling on tOSU which would have eliminated them from the Big Ten Championship due to the original 6 game minimum to play in the Big Ten Championship. Like I said you quoted something that was an issue 11 days ago but was resolved 8 days ago.

Further, you aren't comprehending the difference between a conference championship and the playoff selection committee. Every conference decides the standard for their own conference championship. The playoff selection committee does not have a conference championship requirement (i.e. essentially to allow independents like Notre Dame to play) or a minimum games played requirement. You've got your panties in a bunch over the playoff selection committee who doesn't vote until tomorrow, and you were so oblivious that you were posting about it before tOSU even played their last game (i.e. they could've lost). If tOSU makes the playoffs, they have to win a semifinal game prior to playing in the National Championship.

Additionally, you're absolutely clueless about the length of the Big Ten season. Ohio State was outvoted in August about playing the Big Ten Season, but them and Nebraska teamed up to turn the tide and resurrect the 2020 season. The season started on October 23rd so in 9 weekends (i.e. not your made up 13 weeks) they played 6 games. tOSU canceled once due to COVID outbreak, but had 2 opponents cancel on them due to COVID.

In the future, I'd like to see a 16-team playoff and use the 15 oldest bowl games as the site of the 15 playoff games. However, until then we must live in the land of reality and the reality is the majority of Div 1 schools agreed to this format of a 4-team playoff chosen by a playoff selection committee who looks at factors such as win-loss records, analytics such as strength of schedule, head-to-head results, and results against common opponents.

posted Hide Post
Funny, I seem to remember a lot of talk that tOSU didn't belong in the first National Championship Playoffs in 2015 either.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Listen troll. You came into a thread with an agenda without reading the thread or understanding what you were quoting. You chose to quote a post about UofM canceling on tOSU which would have eliminated them from the Big Ten Championship due to the original 6 game minimum to play in the Big Ten Championship. Like I said you quoted something that was an issue 11 days ago but was resolved 8 days ago.

Further, you aren't comprehending the difference between a conference championship and the playoff selection committee. Every conference decides the standard for their own conference championship. The playoff selection committee does not have a conference championship requirement (i.e. essentially to allow independents like Notre Dame to play) or a minimum games played requirement. You've got your panties in a bunch over the playoff selection committee who doesn't vote until tomorrow, and you were so oblivious that you were posting about it before tOSU even played their last game (i.e. they could've lost). If tOSU makes the playoffs, they have to win a semifinal game prior to playing in the National Championship.

Additionally, you're absolutely clueless about the length of the Big Ten season. Ohio State was outvoted in August about playing the Big Ten Season, but them and Nebraska teamed up to turn the tide and resurrect the 2020 season. The season started on October 23rd so in 9 weekends (i.e. not your made up 13 weeks) they played 6 games. tOSU canceled once due to COVID outbreak, but had 2 opponents cancel on them due to COVID.

In the future, I'd like to see a 16-team playoff and use the 15 oldest bowl games as the site of the 15 playoff games. However, until then we must live in the land of reality and the reality is the majority of Div 1 schools agreed to this format of a 4-team playoff chosen by a playoff selection committee who looks at factors such as win-loss records, analytics such as strength of schedule, head-to-head results, and results against common opponents.

You’re quite the name caller Spud....and so emotional too. That’s cute.

But it still doesn’t change the fact that Ohio State hasn’t earned a spot for the Championship by playing a total of just six games.

If they get in, and they likely will, then some other team who has played a full schedule has gotten screwed.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've been "facilitating" the Big Ten thread for a little over ten years. About half the time, the thread gets trolled the weekend of the Big Ten Championship. Most years the location of the troll is in the southeast. It's gotten old.

Historically, the troll can differentiate between a conference championship, the play-off semifinal (i.e. after the playoff selection committee picks 1 plays 4, and 2 plays 3 in two semifinal games not a championship), and the playoff championship. Kind of an unusual turn of events having a troll post so much but know so little.

It's obvious you read the requests on page 1:
quote:
Requests:
  • Keep this thread about the Big Ten teams & players, the weekend’s Big Ten match-ups and opponents, kudos for Big Ten players/coaches/administrators, and Big Ten conference champ predictions.
  • If you’re a fan of a team from another conference, join in for some good-natured ribbing when your team plays a Big Ten team. Otherwise, please start a thread for your favorite conference.
  • It’s just a game so let’s keep the ribbing good-natured.
  • because on page 3 (your only other post until today) you acknowledge the decorum requests of this annual thread:
    quote:
    Good natured ribbing about college football....

...what’s that ?

Bookers Bourbon
    and a good cigar
    Picture of Johnny 3eagles
    posted Hide Post
    PSU finished off the season with a nice win.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
    Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
    You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of C-Dubs
    posted Hide Post
    It’s the most played rivalry game in Division I football, so it was with a bit of pride to watch the Badgers running around with the Bunyan axe at game end yesterday as the Badgers beat the Golden Gophers in overtime.

Could’ve gone either way...both teams had missed field goals, and interceptions in the end zone, but the game featured some outstanding physical performances despite several players being scratched.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Big Ten Championship Weekend Wrap-up:
  • NE @ Rutgers at 6:30 on BTN - I was incorrect on both winner and spread. Pretty even in the first half with Rutgers making less turnovers and scoring more to head into half with a 14-7 lead. The trend continued the first 10 minutes of the 3rd with Rutgers holding a 21-14 lead. The Cornhusker defense solidified and on offense Dedrick Mills began dominate running the ball which opened up the pass game. NE came back to win 28-21.
  • #14 NWU @ #4 tOSU at 11:00 on Fox in Indianapolis for the Big Ten Championship - As predicted, the Buckeyes won but failed to cover. NWU lead for over 31 minutes of this game from 4:02 in the first all the way to 2:40 in the third. Up until about 5 minutes left in the 3rd, both NWU's pass D and rush D was very effective, but they had no answer for RB Trey Sermon who dominated the rest of the game. I'm glad it was a close game and not a blowout since it made the whole game watchable.
  • MN @ WI at 3:00 on BTN - I was wrong on winner but correct on spread. It's very cool that this most played rivalry in NCAA FB was rescheduled to this weekend, and the season concluded with the teams playing for Paul Bunyan's axe. Even better the game went into OT. First half was a little dull with teams combining for 6 punts, but suspected this would happen since WI has an outstanding D. Mertz got knocked out of the game late in the 3rd but Wolf was able to takeover and complete the drive with a TD pass and then follow that up early in the 4th with a drive ending in a FG (WI lead 17-10 at this point). MN drove 75 yards for a TD tying up the game and the game went into OT. In OT, MN missed a 36 yard FG but WI was able to make their 30 yard FG for the win. Honorable mention kudos goes to MN RB Ibrahim who had 151 yards rushing and is now the sole holder of their consecutive 100 yard game record (8 straight) and had a 1076 yards overall in this short season.
  • IL @ PSU at 4:30 on FS1 - As predicted, PSU won and covered. They started the season 0-5, but won 4 straight to end up 4-5. I didn't get to see any of this game, but it looks like IL held their own for the first quarter (ended 21-21). Then the PSU shut them down and the O scored 3 TDs in the 2nd, another in the 3rd, and another in the 4th for the lopsided victory.

Kudos:
  • NE RB Mills - 191 yards rushing at 7.6 ypc. Also, had 45 receiving yards at 7.5 ypc.
  • tOSU RB Sermon - the backup running back didn't have many carries coming into this game, but he was definitely prepared for this opportunity and his dominate performance bested Ezekial Elliott's Big Ten Championship rushing record. 29 rushed for 331 yards (jaw dropping 11.4 ypc)and 2 TDs.
  • tOSU o-line - they dominated the line of scrimmage the last 20 minutes of the game and many times Sermon had nobody in the front 7 lay a finger on him. Overall paved the way for 399 yards rushing, 9.1 ypc, and 2 rushing TDs.
  • tOSU players and coaches - they played the Big Ten Championship without 22 players (including 2 future NFL players) but persevered to win their 4th straight Big Ten Championship.
  • WI's defense - the last 2 games MN has been averaging 29 ppg and WI held them to 17. Snagging an INT on their own 20 yard line was key, and not giving up any rushing TDs to a very good rushing team was also key.
  • WI RB Groshek - the senior had 24 rushes for 154 yards (6.4 ypc) and a TD. It was the best game of his career, and if yesterday was his last game as a player it's a nice way to go out.
  • PSU D - after a slow start in the 1st quarter, they shutdown IL's offense and had a shutout the rest of the game and in that period only gave up 3 first downs.
  • PSU QB Clifford - 16 completions for 285 yards (17.8 ypc) and 2 TDs (0 INTs).
  • PSU special teams - had a kick return for a 100 yard TD and another kick return for 25 yards. Also, had a 50 yard punt return.

Playoffs and Bowl Games:
    6 PM Central, we'll learn if tOSU made the playoffs and how many Big Ten teams will be invited to play on New Year's Day.

•