SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Planning First Trip to NYC! Any Suggestions?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Planning First Trip to NYC! Any Suggestions? Login/Join 
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:
Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are coming up on our 10 year anniversary and we are planning a trip to NYC in May. We decided to choose a city neither of us had been to, and NYC was the top pick.

Since neither of us have been, we want to do all the stupid tourist stuff. Below is a list of places we are thinking about seeing, should I add anything else to the list? Take anything off?

We will be here for 5 days / 4 nights.

Need Recommendations for:
- Hotel (nice and near attractions, but not $1200 /night nice)
- Food (best places to eat)
- Transportation - Are we taking UBER/Taxi, or is the subway good? Hop on/off bus tour?

These are places we definitely want to go:
- Statue of Liberty
- Ellis Island
- Empire State Building
- Central Park
- Rockefeller Center
- Museum (we are not much on museums, but wanted to see either MoMa or the Natural History Museum)
- 5th Avenue (my wife's addition)
- 9/11 memorial
- Time Square

Maybe??:
- Coney Island
- Broadway
- Wall Street (anything to actually see there?)
- Brooklyn Bridge (worth seeing?)
- Grand Central Station

Thanks for your help!

Uber is really easy in NYC. You call a car and sometimes it is there is under 1 minute, plus no cash exchanges hands. Have used uber many times with zero issue. The subways are doable but you need to know where you are going. I suggest at least one subway ride. The Transit app is excellent for navigating the subway.

Empire State building, Central Park, 5th Ave, 911 Memorial, Rockefeller Center, Broadway/Times Square are must sees and are relatively close to each other so you should be able to get a lot of that done. Coney Island is a hike from Manhattan, easiest to get there by subway.

Wall st? Not as impressive as other places to see.

USS Intrepid is pretty darn cool too. Take an Uber.

Grand Central and Penn are cool but kind of dirty with a fair share of homeless.

St Pats Cathedral is worth a quick look as well.

One of the best steaks you will ever have is at Del Friscos. Also if you like crab cakes, their's are the best I have ever had. Bring your wallet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Why would you go anywhere you are completely unable to protect the lives of yourself and wife?

Roll Eyes

Guess you never travel anywhere outside of the country, huh?

Sure you can, you just need to go old school. I grew up in Brooklyn.

Good advice on the Strand and Zabar's. If you find yourself on the other side of the park, ISTR they opened a Zabars-alike called Eli's on the Upper East Side.

As for museums the obvious ones have all been named. But there are more. Depending on your interests check out The Cloisters - it's a satellite of The Met, on the west side of Manhattan way up near the GW bridge. It has an amazing medieval collection and the setting is amazing all on its own.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Report This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
Avoid chain restaurants, even if they started in the city.

go to Peter Luger for a steak, get the bacon, bring cash, a lot of it.

Oh my goodness yes. And the Schlag.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to get some good NY pizza! Big Grin

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post