SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Planning First Trip to NYC! Any Suggestions?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Planning First Trip to NYC! Any Suggestions? Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by critter44:
If you find a yellow NYC taxicab driven by a little woman who looks like an Aztec Indian, FLEE FOR YOUR LIFE ON FOOT-DO NOT GET IN!

A ride in that cab will make any and all carnival thrill rides for the rest of your life feel like an afternoon nap in your rocking chair.

I'm pretty sure that applies almost universally. I remember visiting NYC in the early 90s. We took a cab ride once. It was worth the fare just for the ride - to hell with the destination.

Dave Barry wrote about NYC taxis. He probably has more than once, but I found this article and it's pretty much exactly what I remember:

Dave Barry on NYC

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Report This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Just two off-the-wall suggestions:

1- The Strand Bookstore If you're interested in books, this is a must. It's easily the largest physical bookstore in the world.

2- Zabars If you're interested in cooking or eating. The ground floor is the most awesome deli imaginable. The floor above in loaded with every kind of cooking utensil in the known universe.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Report This Post
Picture of ACClauhs
posted Hide Post
Take a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and get some pizza at Grimaldi's at 1 Front Street. Best in the city in my opinion.

Posts: 403 | Location: PA | Registered: February 21, 2006Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Why would you go anywhere you are completely unable to protect the lives of yourself and wife?

Roll Eyes

Guess you never travel anywhere outside of the country, huh?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Why would you go anywhere you are completely unable to protect the lives of yourself and wife?

Roll Eyes

Guess you never travel anywhere outside of the country, huh?

I travel frequently for WORK - so it's not an option to chose where I go - armed when possible - very often not.

In this instance the OP has a choice of destination. Were it up to me I would not go to NYC for leisure.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
City pass. Well worth it.

http://www.citypass.com/new-yo...FLYQbUAGFRoCQWDw_wcB

Ignem Feram

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Do not, repeat, do not try to beat the light if walking and crossing a street. When the light turns green for traffic be sure you are on the sidewalk at least a foot from the curb. If you are caught trying to cross when the light turns green you will die. Trust me on this. New York cabbies don't care if your still crossing when the light turns green. You are fair game to them. You dare to still be crossing when the light turns green? Tough shit. Time to die. Other then that, all the above suggestions are great. Especially the 911 memorial. Enjoy your stay there.

I drove a cab there in the '70s when I was in college. Only a foot from the curb? On occasion I would climb the sidewalk to get around things...

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

I travel frequently for WORK - so it's not an option to chose where I go - armed when possible - very often not.

In this instance the OP has a choice of destination. Were it up to me I would not go to NYC for leisure.

Do you only visit places in the US for leisure? That's an honest question.

My wife loves to travel, to the extent that if given a million dollars, she would spend every last dime on travel and vacation; she cherishes memories and experiences over tangible things. My point is that if I told her we weren't going anywhere except places I can carry, she'd express to me in her most perfect French accented English to go have sex with myself and then proceed to travel anyway without me. I of course take our safety seriously and plan for that anywhere we go, but I just have to be realistic that I'm going to go to places where I can't carry. But of course that's why kubotans, "tactical pens," pepper spray, and old "dynamite and iron" (me mitts) were invented.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Just two off-the-wall suggestions:

1- The Strand Bookstore If you're interested in books, this is a must. It's easily the largest physical bookstore in the world.

2- Zabars If you're interested in cooking or eating. The ground floor is the most awesome deli imaginable. The floor above in loaded with every kind of cooking utensil in the known universe.

If you have the time, go down to Houston (pronounced HOWston -would not want you to sound too much like an out-of-towner)street and go to Katz's Deli. That is the best deli ever. Memorialized in Harry meets Sally. Expensive sandwiches though - like $18 for a real overstuffed pastrami on rye.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Report This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good list.

Taxi, Uber and subway are all good. I've used them all in NYC. I would certainly take one subway ride at least just for the experience.

I've alway done alot of walking on my trips to NYC. If that's part of you plan make sure to plan in some down time or a day without much walking.

Definitely see the 9/11 memorial. I haven't been there since they opened the museum but the outdoor stuff is very moving.

I would avoid a bus tour but then again I'm not big on that kind of experience.

Check out The High Line. I found it pretty cool and we walked part of it in the rain last time I was there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Line

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Need Recommendations for:
- Hotel (nice and near attractions, but not $1200 /night nice)
Hilton Garden Inn is down close to Macy's

- Food (best places to eat)
Keens for steaks Keens
- Transportation - Are we taking UBER/Taxi, or is the subway good? Hop on/off bus tour?
My granddaughter was just there and she uber'd everywhere.

These are places we definitely want to go:
- Statue of Liberty
- Ellis Island
- Empire State Building
- Central Park
- Rockefeller Center
- Museum (we are not much on museums, but wanted to see either MoMa or the Natural History Museum)
- 5th Avenue (my wife's addition)
- 9/11 memorial
- Time Square

Maybe??:
- Coney Island
- Broadway
- Wall Street (anything to actually see there?)
NYSE is cool to see.
- Brooklyn Bridge (worth seeing?)
- Grand Central Station
Definitely worth going into.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Report This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Been to Keens a couple of times. Never really liked it (and I wanted to._ There are better. Lugar's is a must if you can get in (need to make reservations weeks ahead of time and only takes cash.) It's also out in Williamsburg. The area is much better than it was, and I've never had a problem there. But it IS off the tourist trail.

Other steakhouses I like:

- The Old Homestead (have the crab cake as an appetizer. It's the best I've ever had.)

- Wolfgang's: Started by a Luger alum. Basically everyone wanted a Peter Luger's in midtown that takes credit cards. And that's what this place basically is.

quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
quote:
Need Recommendations for:
- Hotel (nice and near attractions, but not $1200 /night nice)
Hilton Garden Inn is down close to Macy's

- Food (best places to eat)
Keens for steaks Keens
- Transportation - Are we taking UBER/Taxi, or is the subway good? Hop on/off bus tour?
My granddaughter was just there and she uber'd everywhere.

These are places we definitely want to go:
- Statue of Liberty
- Ellis Island
- Empire State Building
- Central Park
- Rockefeller Center
- Museum (we are not much on museums, but wanted to see either MoMa or the Natural History Museum)
- 5th Avenue (my wife's addition)
- 9/11 memorial
- Time Square

Maybe??:
- Coney Island
- Broadway
- Wall Street (anything to actually see there?)
NYSE is cool to see.
- Brooklyn Bridge (worth seeing?)
- Grand Central Station
Definitely worth going into.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Well as we are booking the trip, the crown pass to the top of the Statue of Liberty is already sold out for may. Crazy! Do they sell these on the black market? Or can tour guides get us up? Or does someone know a guy that knows a guy?

Thank you!

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Report This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACClauhs:
Take a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and get some pizza at Grimaldi's at 1 Front Street. Best in the city in my opinion.

Agree this is the best pizza, hit Katz or Carnegie for pastrami and get the best steak of your life at Keens or Peter Lugers. Otherwise this is a crowded and somewhat dirty city. Decent food though.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Report This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Carnegie Deli is gone Frown

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Avoid chain restaurants, even if they started in the city.

go to Peter Luger for a steak, get the bacon, bring cash, a lot of it.

posted Hide Post
I went a few years ago with my ex. We did the airBnB thing for our lodging and I liked it a lot , I have heard that there has been a crack down on it but don't know to what extent.
As far as sights, the 9/11 memorial and museum are a must. Like others have said you can reserve a time to enter the museum before you go. Same with the statute of liberty, when we went both the torch tour and pedestal tours were booked out several months in advance so it doesn't sound like much has changed.
I saw many recommendations for the Staten Island ferry which is free and gets you out into the harbor. Also we did the top of the Rock(feller) observation deck over Empire state, as the One World Plaza was not open yet. I would still do one of these just for the view.

We used the subway extensively even from JFK and walked. Only took a taxi one time and more for the novelty.

The one thing I learned from the trip is that there is so much to do, make a list of the priorities and probably expect to go back at some point.

Posts: 339 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Report This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Love the restaurant suggestions and the Air and Space museum didn't pop up on my initial searches. If we just see one museum, is the better than the Natural History Museum.

The Intrepid aircraft carrier/air museum is a long way from anything else. I would skip it unless you are really into that.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Report This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I didn't read all the replies but the water taxi is a hop on off to all the main places.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Report This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
NYC born and raised. Go, you'll be fine.

Same here. With a little planning and some situational awareness you will be fine. I go in about 10-12 times a year for sporting events, shows, dinner and have never had a problem. There is much to do so definitely do your homework and as far as food, you could eat out every night for a year in Manhattan and never eat at the same place twice. What kind of food do you like because you can find the best of it in NYC.

I detest NYC's politics and politicans but it truly is one of the great cities on the planet and not nearly as scary as people make it out to be. Just don't get lost and end up on Malcolm X Blvd Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post