SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Planning First Trip to NYC! Any Suggestions?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Planning First Trip to NYC! Any Suggestions? Login/Join 
posted
Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are coming up on our 10 year anniversary and we are planning a trip to NYC in May. We decided to choose a city neither of us had been to, and NYC was the top pick.

Since neither of us have been, we want to do all the stupid tourist stuff. Below is a list of places we are thinking about seeing, should I add anything else to the list? Take anything off?

We will be here for 5 days / 4 nights.

Need Recommendations for:
- Hotel (nice and near attractions, but not $1200 /night nice)
- Food (best places to eat)
- Transportation - Are we taking UBER/Taxi, or is the subway good? Hop on/off bus tour?

These are places we definitely want to go:
- Statue of Liberty
- Ellis Island
- Empire State Building
- Central Park
- Rockefeller Center
- Museum (we are not much on museums, but wanted to see either MoMa or the Natural History Museum)
- 5th Avenue (my wife's addition)
- 9/11 memorial
- Time Square

Maybe??:
- Coney Island
- Broadway
- Wall Street (anything to actually see there?)
- Brooklyn Bridge (worth seeing?)
- Grand Central Station

Thanks for your help!

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Don't

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
My two suggestions:

• Choose someplace else.

• If you ignore the first suggestion above, then For God's sake, LEAVE YOUR GUNS AT HOME!

Thanks,

Sap
  •  
    Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
    Picture of Jupiter Coyote
    posted Hide Post
    My 2 cents:

9/11 memorial is well worth seeing and powerful

The rest of your list is ok.

Hotels-there are plenty a few blocks off times square that you can probably find for reasonable(NYC prices--$300-$400) We stayed at a Hampton Inn a few blocks away and it was fine.

If you can stand overpaying for a lifetime memory, we did a Helicoptor tour leaving from the southern end of manhatten. It was $600 for 15 minutes, but the views and pictures were amazing. Got an amazing pic of my son looking down over the statue of liberty.

We also did a reservation at Carmine's--good italian food.

Be ready to spend more than you thought. $15 hamburgers etc...

God Bless America

Posts: 950 | Location: North Cackalack | Registered: November 30, 2001Report This Post
    Picture of Shaql
    posted Hide Post
    Most of those things you listed are all-day events, just be prepared for that. and order tix in advance.

You can't go to NYC without going to a show.

Walking around NYC can be fun.

Don't forget:
    9/11 Memorial
    ChinaTown
    Little Italy
    Garment district.
    Walk across the brooklyn bridge

If you go to the Natural History museum, there is supposedly a picture of my daughter finding a fossil on a dig with the curator of the museum. We had to sign a release but we've never gone and seen it. Get a pic for me! Wink

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
    Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
    Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Report This Post
    Shit don't
    mean shit
    posted Hide Post
    I've stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Times Square. The Courtyard rooms have small kitchenettes in them with a fridge. At least that way you have some options if you don't want to eat out every single meal. Fridge also comes in handy for leftovers. Wasn't too expensive either.

It's also just a few blocks from Penn Station if you fly into Newark airport.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Report This Post
    Funny Man
    Picture of TXJIM
    posted Hide Post
    Your list is a fine one. Definitely ride the subway, it's a part of the NYC experience and an efficient way to get around. Helpful tip, enter the subway on the side of the street that surface traffic flows in the direction you wish to travel. The trains mirror the surface traffic so if you are headed south enter the subway station on the west side of the street. Once underground you can't cross the tracks to catch the train headed the direction you wish to travel.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Report This Post
    Picture of PowerBook
    posted Hide Post
    Get out of Midtown for Dinner.

Midtown is VERY over priced.
    Lots of variety if you look and do your research.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Ashburn, VA USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Report This Post
    DeadHead
    Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
    posted Hide Post
    USS Intrepid Air & Space Museum:

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/

My favorite restaurant in NYC is Becco, owned by Lidia Bastianich:

https://www.facebook.com/BeccoNYC/

Leave any and all firearms at home. You can carry a knife less 4 inches but it must be concealed and it cannot be a locking type knife.
    From the NYC Administrative Code:

New York City Administrative Code § 10-133 Possession of knives or instruments. a. Legislative findings. It is hereby declared and found that the possession in public places, streets and parks of the city, of large knives is a menace to the public health, peace, safety and welfare of the people of the city; that the possession in public places, streets and parks of such knives has resulted in the commission of many homicides, robberies, maimings and assaults of and upon the people of the city; that this condition encourages and fosters the commission of crimes, and contributes to juvenile delinquency, youth crime and gangsterism; that unless the possession or carrying in public places, streets and parks of the city of such knives without a lawful purpose is prohibited, there is danger of an increase in crimes of violence and other conditions detrimental to public peace, safety and welfare. It is further declared and found that the wearing or carrying of knives in open view in public places while such knives are not being used for a lawful purpose is unnecessary and threatening to the public and should be prohibited. b. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry on his or her person or have in such person's possession, in any public place, street, or park any knife which has a blade length of four inches or more. c. It shall be unlawful for any person in a public place, street or park, to wear outside of his or her clothing or carry in open view any knife with an exposed or unexposed blade unless such person is actually using such knife for a lawful purpose as set forth in subdivision d of this section. d. The provisions of subdivisions b and c of this section shall not apply to (1) persons in the military service of the state of New York when duly authorized to carry or display knives pursuant to regulations issued by the chief of staff to the governor; (2) police officers and peace officers as defined in the criminal procedure law; (3) participants in special events when authorized by the police commissioner; (4) persons in the military or other service of the United States, in pursuit of official duty authorized by federal law; (5) emergency medical technicians or voluntary or paid ambulance drivers while engaged in the performance of their duties; or (6) any person displaying or in possession of a knife otherwise in violation of this section when such knife (a) is being used for or transported immediately to or from a place where it is used for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, picnicking or any employment, trade or occupation customarily requiring the use of such knife; or (b) is displayed or carried by a member of a theatrical group, drill team, military or para-military unit or veterans organization, to, from, or during a meeting, parade or other performance or practice for such event, which customarily requires the carrying of such knife; or (c) is being transported directly to or from a place of purchase, sharpening or repair, packaged in such a manner as not to allow easy access to such knife while it is transported; or (d) is displayed or carried by a duly enrolled member of the Boy or Girl Scouts of America or a similar organization or society and such display or possession is necessary to participate in the activities of such organization or society. e. Violation of this section shall be an offense punishable by a fine of not more than three hundred dollars or by imprisonment not exceeding fifteen days or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Welcome to New York. You have the right to remain silent. All your other rights will be used against you.

Enjoy! Smile

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1899 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Report This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Be aware that The Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty accesses require you to pass through metal detectors, and the personnel manning them will not hold your knife for you.

Leave those EDC folders behind.

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum:
    Don't

Ha, well what I really wanted to do is go to the Dominican Republic or Hawaii. But it will likely be the first time my wife has spent the night apart from our 3yr old daughter, and she said there was no way we were leaving the mainland.

We have been to most of the big cities like Chicago, San Francisco, Vegas, Reno, New Orleans, Washington DC, Orlando, and countless ski towns. We have seen Yosemite and the Grand Canyon. We needed a getaway and landed on this one. NYC has a few historic places to see, something to scratch off the bucket list.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Report This Post
    Domari Nolo
    Picture of Chris17404
    posted Hide Post
    hunter62,

My family and I made our first trip to NYC last summer. We had an amazing time! We did all the touristy stuff too and it was awesome. I would very, very highly suggest you book a day or two with Art Zuckerman, a NYC tour guide. We had him for a literal 8-hour tour of all of Manhattan (from Harlem to Battery Park and so many stops in between) and he was amazing. It was just him, his driver and my family. Totally personalized. Hi will bring you places only locals know, and he knows all the history and cool facts. Any themed tour you can think of he offers. He's also very eager to talk on the phone so he can help you decide on where to stay and eat for your whole trip. Ask him anything. If you have any questions, feel free to email me directly and I can send you all his updated literature and answer any questions you have. I can also send you the high level daily itinerary that my family and I used for a 3-day weekend trip.

http://ztravelandleisure.com/

Have a fun time.

Chris

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
    The Velvet Voicebox
    posted Hide Post
    Do not, repeat, do not try to beat the light if walking and crossing a street. When the light turns green for traffic be sure you are on the sidewalk at least a foot from the curb. If you are caught trying to cross when the light turns green you will die. Trust me on this. New York cabbies don't care if your still crossing when the light turns green. You are fair game to them. You dare to still be crossing when the light turns green? Tough shit. Time to die. Other then that, all the above suggestions are great. Especially the 911 memorial. Enjoy your stay there.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Report This Post
    Picture of chp37
    posted Hide Post
    I haven't visited in a few years, but the Park Lane Hotel is very well located, across from Central Park. They have packages that are attractively priced. The concierge will get you good seats at whatever Broadway shows you want but, it will cost.
    UN Plaza Hotel is quiet, clean and considerably less expensive than any hotels near the park, though you might spend a good part of what you save in taxi fares.
    Grand Central Oyster Bar is expensive, very traditional and the food is good.
    There used to be a great seafood restaurant named "Oceana" right down the street from Park Lane.
    McSorley's Ale House is in the East Village, not too far from the Trade Towers. Fraunces Tavern is also downtown.
    Smith and Wollensky's for steaks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chp37,

eh-TEE-oh-clez
    Picture of Aeteocles
    posted Hide Post
    Push the 9/11 memorial up to the top of the list. That's a must see.

Pick a few of the things you want to see up close, the rest of them can be experienced at a distance just fine.

Take the subway a few times, just for the experience.

Definitely see a broadway musical.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Report This Post
    That's just the
    Flomax talking
    Picture of GaryBF
    posted Hide Post
    Budget a lot of money. Don't go "free range" and you will be safe.

The subways can be intimidating, but they go everywhere.

The only thing on your "maybe" list worth seeing is Grand Central Station. It is close to Rockefeller Center and there even subterranian tunnels if you know where they are (or ask). I don't think Broadway is much of a destination unless you pop to see a play.

Radio City Music hall can be fun, if there is a show on. (Rockettes)

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Report This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    We'll remember you fondly.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
    Big Stack
    posted Hide Post
    I live here, so I can help with some things and not others. I'm little help with hotels, because I've never stayed in a hotel in NYC.

But there are some things I can suggest. The best way see NYC and especially Manhattan, is to just get out and walk. May is one of the best times of year to do this. Look for routes or loops that cover any number of things you want to see. For instance, I routinely walk down Fifth Avenue from 86 Street to where it ends at Washington Square Park. This takes you past any number of Museums (and even more if you start at 96th street), along Central Park, through the heart of the Fifth Avenue shopping district, which include Trump Tower, Rockefeller Center St Patrick's Cathedral, and passed The New York Public Library (a gorgeous building not to be overlooked), the Empire State Building, Madison Square Park, The Flatiron Building, and into Washington Square Park. The walk itself would take you 3-4 hours, not including stops.

Obviously there are others. You could start at Fraunces Tavern down at the south end of Manhattan, walk up Wall Street, cut over to Broadway, and literally walk up the entire length of Manhattan (although you might want to stop somewhere on the Upper West Side.) There's another walk that I do that starts on Riverside drive and 88th Street, and goes into Riverside Park, and down what is now a connected series of parks all the way down to Battery Park. And these are just in Manhattan. There are routes in other boroughs that are worthwhile as well.

You'd see much more of the city, and get a better flavor for it, this way than just going to going to the tourist sites.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
    Picture of Green Highlander
    posted Hide Post
    I strongly second the recommendation for the Intrepid Museum.

Also check out Eataly for some food. It is an "Italian Market" concept backed by some top chefs like Mario Battali.

Also as mentioned above: LEAVE THE GUNS AT HOME.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Report This Post
    Unapologetic Old
    School Curmudgeon
    Picture of Lord Vaalic
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jupiter Coyote:
    My 2 cents:

9/11 memorial is well worth seeing and powerful

The rest of your list is ok.

Hotels-there are plenty a few blocks off times square that you can probably find for reasonable(NYC prices--$300-$400) We stayed at a Hampton Inn a few blocks away and it was fine.

If you can stand overpaying for a lifetime memory, we did a Helicoptor tour leaving from the southern end of manhatten. It was $600 for 15 minutes, but the views and pictures were amazing. Got an amazing pic of my son looking down over the statue of liberty.

We also did a reservation at Carmine's--good italian food.

Be ready to spend more than you thought. $15 hamburgers etc...

Be very hungry if you go to Carmines! Long wait if you just show up.

Seriously be prepared to spend money... everything is expensive. EVERYTHING.

I took a lot of cabs, they are convenient. It was a neat experience to go, my sister lived right in Times Square area, so I went to visit her. I doubt I would have gone if I didn't have my sister there to visit, and I doubt I will ever go back.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post