SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year III
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 348

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year III Login/Join 
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
He didn't tell her she couldn't go, just that she'd have to supply her own transportation.

flashguy

It looks like she did.

Posts: 8596 | Registered: September 26, 2013Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
He didn't tell her she couldn't go, just that she'd have to supply her own transportation.

flashguy

It looks like she did.

Big Grin

Hey, flashguy, take a closer look at the image TigerDore posted.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30282 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I'm a bigger fan now than when I voted for him.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
With respect to all the complaints about the shutdown, and the "regular Joes" not getting paid, I have a pair of questions.

First: Could the President change up the game a little and set it such that "regular" government employees go back to work and resume getting paid, while Congress goes on a period of no-paycheck?

Second: Am I incorrect in thinking that when Congress starts to suffer, rather than just whining about the "rest of us" suffering, things would start to get done?

(Surely DJT is smarter than me on things like this and has thought of it already, right?)

God bless America.

Posts: 13394 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
I'm a bigger fan now than when I voted for him.

Same here.

Posts: 3121 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Report This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
With respect to all the complaints about the shutdown, and the "regular Joes" not getting paid, I have a pair of questions.

First: Could the President change up the game a little and set it such that "regular" government employees go back to work and resume getting paid, while Congress goes on a period of no-paycheck?

Article 1, Section 9, Paragraph/Clause 7:

“No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time.”

So the answer is NO; have to have appropriations first—can’t pay them without authorization.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Yea, but they'll get the back pay. So paid vacation for the "non-essential".

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6842 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Report This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you, 2Bob.
Moving along... could the President shut off pay to Congress until there's resolution?

God bless America.

Posts: 13394 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The Right Prescription

The GOP Finally Has a Fighting General

https://spectator.org/the-gop-...-a-fighting-general/

January 21, 2019, 12:05 am

And, despite what George Will says, Trump is winning.

In November, 1863, the New York Herald reported that a temperance committee had asked President Lincoln to dismiss Ulysses S. Grant. They told him the general was an imbiber of strong spirits, to which Lincoln replied: “I wish you would tell me the brand of Whiskey Grant drinks. I would like to send a barrel to my other generals.” This story is probably apocryphal, but it captures the contempt with which the socially awkward Grant was viewed by the eastern establishment. This came to mind when I read the following about President Trump by a little old lady named George Will:

By his comportment, the president benefits his media detractors with serial vindications of their disparagements.… For most Americans, President Trump’s expostulations are audible wallpaper, always there but not really noticed.… And as balm for his base, which remains oblivious to his likely contempt for them as sheep who can be effortlessly gulled by preposterous fictions.

Will contends that Trump’s “deportment” is what drives the abuse and lies to which the President is subjected by the frauds of the Fourth Estate. Likewise, Grant’s exaggerated drinking was an excuse the northern press employed to denounce his tactics during the Civil War, as well as the necessity, when he was President, to keep troops stationed in the southern states. Will, in his dotage, has evidently forgotten that the media has relentlessly savaged any and all Republicans. To blame Trump for his treatment by CNN, MSNBC, et al. is like blaming a woman for her own rape.

Fortunately, Lincoln wasn’t stupid enough to listen to newspaper publishers or the temperance committees. He needed a “fighting general” to replace strangely inert commanders like George B. McClellan and Henry Halleck. By the time Lincoln lost patience with these dawdlers, Grant had won important victories at Forts Henry and Donelson. Soon he would also capture the crucial town of Vicksburg. Halleck was so jealous of Grant that he launched a campaign to undermine Grant’s credibility in Washington (sound familiar?). But Lincoln wanted battlefield victories rather than Washington gossip.

This is much the same attitude many voters, conservatives as well as independents, had adopted by the time Trump came down that escalator to announce his intention to run for the presidency. Just as Lincoln saw a proven winner in Grant, rather than another pompous peacetime general like McClellan and Halleck, the voters saw a successful businessman in Trump instead of the usual decorous losers like John McCain and Mitt Romney. And, unlike George Will, they did not and still do not give a damn about “comportment.” Trump’s supporters wanted someone on the GOP side who would fight.

They wanted someone to take the fight to the Democrats and keepfighting. Like Lincoln, who watched his commander at Gettysburg do nothing while the retreating Confederate forces withdrew to the safety of Virginia when they could have been trapped at the Potomac and crushed, they were frustrated. They didn’t give a rat’s posterior about prudence. They wanted to win and they knew something the fastidious George Will didn’t — Trump was the fighting general for whom they had all been waiting. A few here at TAS also understood. Ironically, even the execrable Michael Moore got it:

All Trump needs to do is to carry, as he’s expected to do, the swath of traditional red states from Idaho to Georgia (states that’ll never vote for Hillary Clinton).… He doesn’t need Florida. He doesn’t need Colorado or Virginia. Just Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. And that will put him over the top. This is how it will happen in November.

And that’s how it went down. But Never-Trumpers like our friend George sit in their offices muttering to themselves like victims of PTSD. Will writes, “He is an almost inexpressibly sad specimen. It must be misery to awaken to another day of being Donald Trump.” Now, I am myself a recovering Trump skeptic, but it never occurred to me in my most dysphoric mood that it would be “misery to wake up” in the White House. The President if the United States wields money, power, and influence far beyond the wildest dreams of any Roman emperor that ever drew breath.

Moreover, despite the propaganda that we are daily fed by the media, Trump’s presidency has been a stunning success. In addition to a record number of accomplishments during the first two years of his White House tenure, he is winning the shutdown fight. Saturday, he made an offer that gave the Democrats what they now say they want: a compromise on the “Dreamers” plus what they have frequently demanded in the past — a physical barrier on our southern border. Yet he obviously knew Nancy Pelosi and her sock puppet Chuck Schumer would demur. Now it’s on them, as Roger Simon points out:

Nancy Pelosi is not going to Afghanistan at taxpayer expense. On Friday, an executive directive went to the heads of all departments informing them there would be no governmental air travel without explicit White House permission until the shutdown ends. Trump is playing hardball. The Democrats are not used to that.

They are not merely unaccustomed to it. They’re fighting the last political war. That, interestingly enough, is why Lincoln entrusted the execution of the Civil War to Ulysses S. Grant and his right hand man, William T. Sherman. Lee and his fellow southern generals were stuck in the Napoleonic era. Grant and Sherman were decades ahead of them. Likewise, Pelosi and Schumer are stuck in the Clinton era, and the media are still wandering aimlessly around Watergate. President Trump is fighting this war, where George Will is just a bystander, the media is white noise, and we win.

Posts: 12546 | Registered: January 17, 2011Report This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
The Dems will never negotiate and don't give 2 shits about the federal workers. They only way Trump/we win is for DJT to either declare the emergency, or initiate the Reduction-in-Force/Govt downsizing and use the savings from that.

Posts: 4005 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Report This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Big Grin

Even better, hit play and enjoy the video.

Posts: 8596 | Registered: September 26, 2013Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Big Grin

Even better, hit play and enjoy the video.

I did. My comment was aimed at the idea that Speaker Pelosi "defied" President Trump. It's not defiance if the action was not forbidden. (I did enjoy the cartoon of her flying a broom; however, I was once told that the proper way to fly a broom is with the bristles in front.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
The Dems will never negotiate and don't give 2 shits about the federal workers. They only way Trump/we win is for DJT to either declare the emergency, or initiate the Reduction-in-Force/Govt downsizing and use the savings from that.

Right now he’s showing the country that he’s willing to make a deal and that the dims are willing to screw everyone just to stick it to him. He’s smart for doing it this way at least for now. Besides, if he declares the emergency they will just get a judge to stop him and we’ll have to wait for them to fight it out in the Supreme Court and that will take too long.
He can and will win one way or another but this is just more ammo for 2020.
He clearly knows how to play the commies like a like a fiddle so I’m going to sit back and enjoy the shit show.

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-t...trump-143204077.html

The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday let President Donald Trump enforce his policy barring certain transgender people from joining or staying in the military as the justices put on hold lower court rulings blocking the plan on constitutional grounds.

The conservative-majority granted the Trump administration's request to lift injunctions issued by federal judges against the policy while a legal challenge continues in lower courts.

Liberal Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor said they would have kept the injunctions in place blocking the policy.

The justices refused the administration's request for them to decide the merits of the legal fight even before a California-based federal appeals court already considering the matter is given a chance to rule

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reduction-in-Force/Govt downsizing and use the savings from that.

I guess estimates of how much waste and unnecessary staffing is involved with the federal gubbermint run all over the spectrum. My feeling is that probably a minimum of 40% of the gubbermint employees are totally unneeded!

Remember, the fastest and easiest way to move up the ladder is to be part of a rapidly growing entity! Says nothing about the necessity.

I remember from some time ago, a report that indicated there we SEVENTEEN different gubbermint entities all with precisely the same mission statement. All they did was to periodically meet to discuss what they would be doing if not attending these meetings.

Further, I was a major program manager, managing military contracts for IBM. Quarterly status meetings consisted of some 300 FEDERAL EMPLOYEES FROM ACROSS THE USA.

virtually NONE of them were actually involved in the program. The exceptions were the Navy Captain in charge of the program and his immediate staff. probably only 10 of the attendees actually had any semblance of need to be there. IOW, it was an all expense paid 4 day junket. And nothing indicates it has gotten any better.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
President Trump on Tuesday said he told Sarah Sanders “not to bother” giving press briefings, citing inaccurate coverage, as the White House press secretary continues her longest stretch away from the podium.

“The reason Sarah Sanders does not go to the ‘podium’ much anymore is that the press covers her so rudely & inaccurately, in particular certain members of the press. I told her not to bother, the word gets out anyway! Most will never cover us fairly & hence, the term, Fake News!” Trump tweeted.

The president’s tweet comes as the White House has been criticized for not holding regular press briefings. The last press briefing was Dec. 18—35 days ago, which marks Sanders’ longest stretch away from the podium. ABC News reported that the previous record was 29 days.

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...-inaccurate-coverage

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
^^^^

for the win

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53069 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
President Trump on Tuesday said he told Sarah Sanders “not to bother” giving press briefings, citing inaccurate coverage

About time.

These briefings are just a colossal waste of time, equal to a teacher trying to teach in a classroom full of stupid, unruly, troublemaker children. If the press really wants to continue the briefings, just hire someone like Milo to insult and battle with them for 30 minutes.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16596 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53069 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the press really wants to continue the briefings, just hire someone like Milo to insult and battle with them for 30 minutes.

Big Grin
I'd pay good money to see that!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23919 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post