SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year III
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 348

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year III Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Like I said before... do it in a stadium filled with screaming supporters. Have flags, fireworks, marching bands.

Make it a pro-USA rally so over the top it will be a spectacle everyone will watch and remember.

And make it a full-on Trump style assault on the entire swamp, no holding back.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Like I said before... do it in a stadium filled with screaming supporters. Have flags, fireworks, marching bands.

Make it a pro-USA rally so over the top it will be a spectacle everyone will watch and remember.

That would only work if the President also used his Constitutional authority to convene both houses of Congress at that location--I don't think it's ever been done, but the Constitution gives him that authority.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:

That would only work if the President also used his Constitutional authority to convene both houses of Congress at that location--I don't think it's ever been done, but the Constitution gives him that authority.

flashguy

I say do it in Denver. Go big. Make them eat it.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
He can invite Congress to wherever he holds the speech. Then, also deliver the transcript to both houses after since many (and no Dems) will show. Win-win unless you are Pelosi!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Regardless of where he holds it, you know darn well the Democrats will make time to have a rebuttal.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:

flashguy

Congress doesn't need to be there. It'll "work" just fine without them.

quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Regardless of where he holds it, you know darn well the Democrats will make time to have a rebuttal.

And if they do give a rebuttal, they've then legitimized his SOTU address.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Democrats can Skype in. No reason with today's tech they need to be present

Posts: 1401 | Registered: November 07, 2013Report This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
No reason with today's tech they need to be present

I agree. In my opinion, the President should give the SOTU from the Oval Office. Alert Congress ahead of time, giving the date and time at which the speech will be given, along with the media by which it will be delivered (TV networks, live-streaming on the Internet, etc.), and get to it.

Doing so would be time-efficient (no delays for unnecessary pomp and circumstance), polite (no rowdy politicians booing and shouting), and direct. It would be "taking charge," and would be uninterrupted.

Be curt, be direct, and be deliberate, Mr. President. Show the Speaker you don't need "her" venue, show the Democrats you intend to continue working diligently [while they posture and blow-hard], and show America you're working for Americans.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Agree with above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And it would also show Botex Piglosi to be the petulant witch that she is. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I too agree with the Oval Office. Nothing says he has to address congress verbally. Prior to FDR it was done by a letter.

Do it televised from the Oval Office and send the bitch a copy of the transcript.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The address fulfills rules in Article II, Section 3 of the U.S. Constitution, requiring the President to periodically "give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient.

And Trump will play by the rules. As vague as they are I hope he breaks with Tradition.

They don't control the "media" anymore.

Can Trump just release the SOTU on Twitter?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:

Haha, that'd be a hell of a tweeter thread.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Haha, true.

But I don't wanna sign up for Twitter! Eek

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Haha, true.

But I don't wanna sign up for Twitter! Eek

You don't need to. Just do what I do. I'm not on Twitter either. Install the app Trump Tweets. Nothing but his tweets. No comments or anything else. Just his tweets. I love it.

https://play.google.com/store/...ckmobile.trumptweets

But it seems Trump has canceled the SOTU address until the shutdown is over. Interesting.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Funny.... I thought the House Chamber belonged to the people of this great nation, not the Speaker of the House. It appears that Ms. Pelosi has forgotten that she is supposed to be serving ALL of the people of this country, not just her party or her loyal voters.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Makes Nancy look even smaller.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24071 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I am greatly disappointed that our President has made this decision in the face of Piglosi's despicable partisan crap. He's still taking the high ground which is just and proper, still....

https://www.thegatewaypundit.c...after-shutdown-ends/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Trump is completely correct to not propose giving the SOTU anywhere but the house. Suggestions here of alternatives such as Twitter are a joke. The perception of that would be an embarrassment. The November election was bad. Pelosi is bad and she's one up on Trump here. Shutting down her plane isn't going to work.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Makes Nancy look even smaller.

Accelerate stupid. Eventually she will hit a wall hard. No pun intended.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
For Trump to postpone the SOTU - I think something else bigly is going on behind the curtains - at least I can hope because the optics on this look bad - add to that hearing a report of an R dropping support for the wall - Cory Gardner of Colorado

I was hoping he would hold a rally with Angel Moms and other victims of illegals and take advantage of prime time coverage - and announce a RIF as well Smile guess that is too much to ask

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Report This Post