SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year III
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 348

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year III Login/Join 
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
You need to familiarize yourself with NYC restrictions in regard to transportation of firearms and current court cases challenging such. If you believe emergency powers act would not apply to all transportation of firearms I certainly hope you are correct, I don’t share that view!

Again those are LAWS not DECLARATIONS. Big difference. LAWS are created by legilature, not by declaration.

To expand on that a bit: The President's authority to declare an emergency and redirect Federal resources (Corps of Engineers civil works funding is a HUGE one) is provided by existing statute. His declaration is a necessary step to redirecting those resources.

No version or interpretation of "emergency" will allow a future Dem administration to summarily do a damn thing except shift budgeted/appropriated funds, mobilize primarily DoD resources, and ignore certain contracting restrictions, environmental laws, etc. So unless the "gun violence emergency" is a bunch of guns streaming across the border, that's a delusional statement by Nancy.

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:
Dems fill border “compromise” with landmines, .......

Link

We already had a bite of the 'we have to pass the bill in order to find out what is in it' apple, and it was rotten to the core. I'd support a 7 or 10 day CR so we could actually know what we are signing and make changes.

As it reads in summary from link, it's a wall to nowhere that will never be built. Back to the drawing board.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I may have to take back at least some of the bad thoughts I've had about Sessions. What the NYT labels 'disturbing', I label delightful Big Grin Big Grin

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
President Donald Trump has freed up $8 billion from various government agencies to build the wall, according to Fox News’ Brian Kilmeade.

Trump announced earlier on Thursday that he plans on signing a bipartisan congressional bill that provides limited border wall funding and declaring a national emergency at the southern border.

“Of course today was dominated by many stories. One of which was the bipartisan budget bill for border security and the big number is, that the president was not happy with was $1.375 billion to build a border barrier. He could do whatever he wanted with it,” Kilmeade began. “The question was, ‘Would the president add something with that? Would he declare a national emergency?’ I just got off the phone with Mick Mulvaney, chief of staff, and the answer is a resounding ‘Yes.’ Now for the first time, you will hear how much it is and where the money is coming from.”

“It’s going to be about $8 billion. He had the $1.3 [billion], then $600 million will come from the Treasury, the Treasury forfeiture front. $2.5 billion out of DoD. They consulted with Mick Mulvaney and the White House over the last few months on what they could actually do and they are going to use some money they feel they can spare on the drug interdiction account,” he continued. “Then they came across with $3.5 billion for the military, the military construction budget.”

Kilmeade added, “They feel they can help in that respect. And then, of course, they have additional money. It all adds up to $8 billion. So the $1.375 [billion] not enough for the president. He wanted $5.7 [billion]. He walks away at the end of the day with $8 billion and, of course, the Democrats and some Republicans are upset about that.”

The president’s decision to declare a national emergency for the wall was not unexpected. During the speech Trump gave late last month, where he announced he was going to end the government shutdown, he also explained that he would go down this route if Congress could not come up with a deal within a three-week period, which would have expired Friday.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/0...ergency-border-wall/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Report This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Which federal judge is going to put an injunction on the wall building? I’d imagine they are drawing straws.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
Which federal judge is going to put an injunction on the wall building? I’d imagine they are drawing straws.

I'm sure the paperwork is already prepared

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
So the $1.375 [billion] not enough for the president. He wanted $5.7 [billion]. He walks away at the end of the day with $8 billion

Winning like never before. Thank You President Trump.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
What good is an injunction against the President? Enforcement is a function of the Administrative Branch. The Judiciary can pronounce all it wants to but they have no enforcement capability.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
President Donald Trump has freed up $8 billion from various government agencies to build the wall

anthropologist average salary

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Report This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My wife just said “I hope he does it.”
From her lips to Trump’s ears.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
New AG sworn in

William Barr

crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
New AG sworn in
William Barr

Here's hoping Barr starts cleaning up the corruption. Tomorrow isn't too soon to start.
Might be too much to hope for, but I'm hoping anyway.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Report This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
So,... Cocaine Mitch will get his $1 trillion dollar spending bill... that NO ONE has had time to read.

The Freedom Caucus wants to just pass a one-week spending bill at current levels to give them time to read this monster bill and strip out all of its poison pills.

If McConnell refuses this -- this means McConnell is refusing precisely because he doesn't want those poison pills stripped out.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...senate-prepares-vote

chellim1, I agree about McConnell and was surprised to see that Hawley did as well citing the time constraints and the 1,000+ pages as a reason for his no vote. Maybe there is some hope for him after all.

Posts: 7314 | Registered: January 10, 2009Report This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I keep hearing all the talking heads saying Trump will sign the bill, even with the “poison pill” bullshit provisions. They say he *has* to in order to get the money for startup of wall construction.

I see it another way...

Veto that fucker. Don’t just roll over and accept their $1.x billion with all those multi-billion dollar strings attached and clauses that REDUCE security. I thought the point was to increase the security?

Senate passed it 86-14, he can veto it and then they can override his veto. He can stay true to the principle, they still get their bullshit provisions, he still gets the $1.x billion to start construction immediately.

It also make the CONGRESS own the bullshit provisions and he can paint them with that brush for the next six years. He signs it, he owns responsibility for accepting those things.

Just because it is clear you will lose, you don’t have to give up or forfeit.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Report This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^

This is how the game should be played in my mind as well.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
LOL, a commie is going to try a primary challenge on Trump. Laughable.

Ex-Gov. of Massachusetts Bill Weld takes 1st step toward Trump primary challenge

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
New AG sworn in

William Barr

For a second I thought Hillary was invited.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Report This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
You and me both, Frank.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Enforcement is a function of the Administrative Branch.

Umm ..., the Executive Branch, perhaps?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
You and me both, Frank.

Me three! Would be happy if invited and she went.. serve it to her cold!

"Hillary, come over here, I want you to stand right on this spot."

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Report This Post