SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year III
Page 1 ... 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 ... 348

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year III Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, what do you think now of my opinion about about the letter, Tubetone?

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
Supreme Court agrees to hear challenge to consumer agency
BY SYLVAN LANE AND HARPER NEIDIG - 10/18/19 02:58 PM EDT

THE HILL > https://thehill.com/regulation...er-bureaus-authority
==============================================
"The Supreme Court on Friday agreed to hear a legal challenge to the structure of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) in a major victory for critics of the powerful financial regulator.

The court on Friday announced it would take up the lawsuit Seila Law vs. CFPB. The case involves a law firm, Seila Law, that refused to comply with a CFPB request for documents.

The firm challenged the agency's structure as unconstitutional, arguing that the bureau’s director enjoys an illegal amount of independence from the president’s executive branch authority.

ADVERTISEMENT
The Trump administration and CFPB Director Kathy Kraninger have backed the challenge, which could transform or even dismantle the agency.
House Democrats urged the Supreme Court to reject Seila Law’s appeal for a ruling, insisting that Congress did not infringe on separation of powers.

The CFPB was created by the 2010 Dodd-Frank Wall Street reform law to police the financial sector for consumer fraud and abuse. Dodd-Frank prevents the president for firing the CFPB director before his or her five-year term expires unless “for cause,” which is considered to be severe neglect or misconduct.

Seila Law and the Trump administration argue that the “for cause” provision hinders the president’s constitutional authority over the executive branch. ".......(MORE)

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I used to respect McRaven, but now I just think he is another swamp creature.
Nearly all Flag Officers are (or desire to be) swamp creatures / politicians.

Thankfully career politicians typically stop giving Generals the time of day as soon as they retire - because their mandated power is GONE in an instant and they have nothing more to offer.

Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Para,

In answer to your question of me:

I think that President Trump is President Trump.

He's not diplomatic and he needed to say something to Erdogan to cause him pause.

I just know that second guessing Trump has been a hard thing for me. There have been many times I've said, "Don't say that!" in my mind and he turned it into something.

Trump's unconventional and I could agree and disagree at the same time over so many things he says.

I marvel at his instincts and hope he knows more than I as he makes so many tough decisions.

You, personally, have some good instincts, too, but I perceived Trump as saying in himself that the situation was desperate and he needed to throw a clear wrench into the works.

Would I have said it differently? As in most days, "Yup" but doggone if his style doesn't work for him.

We are, inevitably, going to have to address Turkey in the long run.

Personally, I would like to see our nukes out of there yesterday.

Turkey is devolvig to the 13th century unless pluralistic Turks begin to see urgency.

These are desperate times and whether an abrupt letter or a polite gesture is the best approach needs more information than
I possess.

The president, however, has more information.

Jabbing the strongman, Erdogan, as he ambitiously destabilizes his relationship with the United States may just be what's inevitable.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I get what you are saying, but even if Turkey had all the US bombs and equipment, the best they could easily do was make a dirty bomb - not a full bore operational nuke.

And even then, to attempt to seize US property like that - I don't think Trump would take that sitting down.

Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

I get what you are saying, but even if Turkey had all the US bombs and equipment, the best they could easily do was make a dirty bomb - not a full bore operational nuke.

And even then, to attempt to seize US property like that - I don't think Trump would take that sitting down.

You make a good point, of course.

But, I don't want Turkey seen as invisible by our power.

Erdogan is making his international position unstable and he needs to be taken down a notch.

He doesn't have to like us but he must respect us. He didn't. Trump disrespected him back.

Even a dirty bomb is more than what other countries in the region can muster.

Erdogan has clearly stated his nuclear ambitions. I'm not interested in the US helping him in those ambitions one bit.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Tubetone, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone more supportive of President Trump than me. You don't need to tell me that he is who he is and he says what he says. You're preaching to the choir. No one gets it right every time. No one. President Trump made a mistake. This is the very first time I've disagreed with anything he's done or said since his campaign gained momentum in 2015 and I am telling you- that letter was a mistake. He could have conveyed the same things in a less flippant way, and saying that he could "destroy" the economy of Turkey is counter productive. Do you not think that Erdogan is fully aware of the economic might of the United States? Erdogan knows what we can do. Sticking it in his face in such a flippant way only makes matters worse.

Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Tubetone, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone more supportive of President Trump than me. You don't need to tell me that he is who he is and he says what he says. You're preaching to the choir. No one gets it right every time. No one. President Trump made a mistake. This is the very first time I've disagreed with anything he's done or said since his campaign gained momentum in 2015 and I am telling you- that letter was a mistake.

Not trying to preach to you but trying to answer your question as to what I think about your comments.

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I think Trump characterized his letter to Erdogan as "tough love" at the rally in Dallas last night. So that sheds some light as how he is viewing the situation. To me tough love whether it's to your children or some other loved one always meant to me that was the last stop before the gloves really came off. I think that's how he meant the message and how it was received.

Whatever Turkey says at this point is irrelevant to me at least, we shall see how they act going forward. I think this will be another win. A bit ugly perhaps but a win none the less.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I know how President Trump is viewing it, because he's the one who wrote the letter. He should have taken a different approach.

Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I know how President Trump is viewing it, because he's the one who wrote the letter. He should have taken a different approach.

I appreciate the strength of your conviction. But, perhaps, you've thought of what he should have said and how?

Maybe you could share that or is your view that it was just wrong because he was "sticking" Erdogan's "face in it" which seemed "flippant" to you?

I am truly wanting to know, if you're of a mind to stating it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:

Erdogan has clearly stated his nuclear ambitions. I'm not interested in the US helping him in those ambitions one bit.
For sure, but if we allow any foreign power to seize our nuclear weapons from a US base (even overseas), our standing as a country is over.

I have no idea what the procedures are if that would attempt to occur, but I bet none of it would be good for Turkey - so in general I think it is much ado about nothing.

They aren't in a position to take them and they aren't going to take them. But if they did, I think they would really really reap the whirlwind.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You don't need me to re-word that letter, Tubetone. You're sufficiently eloquent to do so on your own.

One thing I can tell you, and that's that the word "destroy" would be found nowhere in my version of it.

Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I was just curious if you had something in mind.

Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:

For sure, but if we allow any foreign power to seize our nuclear weapons from a US base (even overseas), our standing as a country is over.

I have no idea what the procedures are if that would attempt to occur, but I bet none of it would be good for Turkey - so in general I think it is much ado about nothing.

They aren't in a position to take them and they aren't going to take them. But if they did, I think they would really really reap the whirlwind.

I am sufficiently afraid that Erdogan will not care. But that's just me.

I respect that your frame of reference and experiences give you confidence in what will hold things together.

I'm just not as sure, I guess. I admit: It's visceral.

posted Hide Post
My take on the letter is that it wasn’t just directed at Erdogan. The letter was released by the WH. Seems to me this was sticking it to all the pro-war dems and rinos. Look how they’re freaking out like McRaven. Trump thumbed his nose at all of them.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xmod:
Trump thumbed his nose at all of them.
Well, he certainly did that, yes.

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
As off-key as some of DJTs communications may be for these observers as suave & sophisticated as myself, now-and-then I wonder whether such clumsiness is intended or used as a type of distraction.

As unconventional as various world opponents are around our globe, they've always had a more or less bland US President they could run their con game on. My question is whether such DJT behavior has been useful in producing just a trace of hesitation and wonder about 'how crazy/unbalance IS this guy' and 'maybe I shouldn't pull out my own crazy stick for a while yet'....

Whether an unconventional posturing or a form of alpha-male behavior not seen outside the primate labs, I want to suspect secretly it's a tool, a mannerism affected as a political spectrum autistic, which just may be the actually appropriate break from predictable that will produce second thoughts in other prime politicos with which he must deal.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This is exactly the same kind of thing leftists said about Obama whenever he did something foolish: "He's so savvy, we just can't recognize the brilliance of his actions. This appears to be a dumb move to us, but that's because he's the smartest man ever elected POTUS." Remember? Yep, that's what they did.

Do any you guys really believe that Donald Trump never makes mistakes? Go ahead and tell me that you think that in essence, the man is perfect.

Does anyone here consider me to be a critic of President Trump? No? So, what do you think is going on here? Is Donald Trump perfect? Tell me.

posted Hide Post
Trump is far from perfect, but having so many enemies all around him, he’s doing the best he can.

This Turkey issue was also an attempt by Trump to change the impeachment narrative, although the media is barely covering the cease fire.