SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US Embassy Alerts All Americans To Depart Afghanistan "Immediately" As More Provincial Capitals Fall
Page 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... 103
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Embassy Alerts All Americans To Depart Afghanistan "Immediately" As More Provincial Capitals Fall Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Banshee, let us come to an understanding: Your perspective is different than that of most Americans. We understand this and we'll accommodate you on this to a degree. In return, you need to understand this forum is Trump country and shall continue to be so for as long as I have a hand in its operation.

You're an intelligent man, I've no doubt, so, I should not have to say anything further to you on the subject.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

I see the face of the7th century looking at me.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this opinion, but the world really would be batter and safer place if he was located and got to head-butt with one of those spiffy new missiles that chops you into greasy little callops.

This goat fucker needs to feel the weight of Delta, Devgru, SBS or SAS on him.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/27...s-taliban/index.html

The Taliban's rule of Afghanistan faces an imminent threat: The war-torn nation's banking system is on the verge of collapse.

Nearly two weeks after the Taliban seized power, Afghanistan's banks remain shuttered. That has left many people in the country without access to cash.

The central challenge is that Afghanistan's economy is heavily reliant on access to foreign currency and international aid -- most of which has been blocked since Kabul fell.

Grants finance a staggering 75% of Afghanistan's public spending , according to the World Bank.

Afghanistan's banks are still closed, days after the Taliban ordered them and other services to reopen, because they've virtually run out of cash, the central bank source said.

Part of the problem is that Taliban-ruled Afghanistan has turned into a pariah almost overnight.

The Biden administration swiftly blocked the Taliban from accessing the billions of dollars held by the central bank in the United States.

The International Monetary Fund halted $450 million in funds that were scheduled to arrive in Afghanistan early this week. And then the World Bank froze financial support for Afghanistan.

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58372437

The final UK troops, diplomats and officials have left Kabul, Downing Street has confirmed.

The departure of the RAF flight brings to an end the UK's 20-year military involvement in Afghanistan.

More than 15,000 people have been evacuated by the UK since 14 August.

More than 1,000 UK troops were in Kabul helping to process departures at the airport at the height of the operation.

The UK's embassy in Kabul later said its operations were "suspended". "We continue to provide only limited consular assistance remotely," it added. The government said the embassy will relocate to Qatar.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This article from a few years ago is jarring. I know an Afghan doctor who is a great guy, I'm sure many of you do too. But what are we facing by importing tens of thousands of unvetted Afghan young men?

I've Worked with Refugees for Decades. Europe's Afghan Crime Wave Is Mind-Boggling. I've Worked with Refugees for Decades. Europe's Afghan Crime Wave Is Mind-Boggling.[/url]

quote:
A few weeks ago, the Austrian city of Tulln declared a full stop to any further refugee admissions. As the mayor made clear, that decision was aimed at Afghans, but for legal and administrative reasons it could only be promulgated in a global way. That had not been the city’s intention—to the contrary, it had just completed the construction of an expensive, brand-new facility for incoming asylum seekers, which would now, the mayor declared, be given over to another purpose. His exact words: “We’ve had it.” The tipping point, after a series of disturbing incidents all emanating from Afghans, was the brutal gang rape of a fifteen-year-old girl, snatched from the street on her way home, dragged away and serially abused by Afghan refugees.

And that was just one in a string of outrage-inducing occurrences, all of them going to the account of Afghans.

A while before, in Vienna, a young female Turkish exchange student had been pursued into a public restroom by three Afghan refugees. They jammed the door shut and proceeded to savagely attack her. Grabbing her by the neck, they struck her head repeatedly against a porcelain toilet bowl to knock her out. When that failed to break her desperate resistance, they took turns holding her down and raping her. The young woman required a hospital stay, after which—too traumatized to resume her studies—she fled home to Turkey, where she continues to be depressed and miserable, unable to process what happened and unable, in a conservative Muslim society, to talk about her experience to anybody except one best friend and confidante.

It took a while for the pattern to be recognized because, until recently, western European media deliberately refrained from identifying an assailant’s refugee or asylum status, or his country of origin. Only when the correlation became so dramatic that it was itself newsworthy did this policy change. At that point, it became clear that the authorities had known about, and for political reasons had deliberately covered up, large-scale incidences of sexual assault by migrants. For example, a gang of fifty Afghans who terrorized women in the neighborhood of the Linz train station had been brushed off by a government official with the remark that this was an unfortunate consequence of bad weather, and that once summer came the young men would disperse into the public parks and no longer move in such a large, menacing pack. The public was not amused.

[snip]

Complicated problems, to be sure, but why should they concern us here in the United States, beyond mere anthropological curiosity? Well, first of all, these young men are “ours.” They grew up during the years in which we were the dominant influence and paymaster in Afghan society. Since 2001, we have spent billions on an Afghan school system that we like to cite as one of our greatest accomplishments. These young men either attended these schools, in which case the investment in their education has been worse than useless, or did not have access to a school, in which case the money must have been fraudulently diverted. We have also invested many, many millions of dollars on gender programs and rule-of-law programs to convey notions of female equality and human value, and regard for law and order. We have funded radio programs and entire TV stations devoted to this goal, launched poster campaigns and sponsored at enormous cost a large number of civil-society groups purporting to disseminate these values. And here, now, are our “graduates,” rampaging across Europe like the worst sort of feral beasts.

Secondly, the relevance to U.S. refugee policy is sadly obvious. It will require rigorous vetting indeed to weed out such deeply disturbed, degenerate young males whose willingness to be deceptive is so pronounced and whose motives are so irrational.
Which brings me to a final theory being vented in Austria: that these destructive, crazed young men are being intentionally infiltrated into western Europe to wreak havoc: to take away the freedom and security of women; change patterns of behavior; deepen the rifts between liberals, who continue to defend and find excuses, and a right wing that calls for harsh measures and violent responses; to inflict high costs and aggravation on courts and judicial systems and generally make a mess of things.

For the record, I am not convinced that there is a deliberate plan behind this, but I do agree that angry and unstable young men are susceptible to destructive paths. Those paths can lead to ideological extremism and terrorism, or to the formation of gangs and packs that attack, harm and destroy. As we have seen, presently many of their attacks are inept and easily blocked by random civilian passersby. But they will get more skillful over time, and Europe had best develop a defense against them.

Much more at the link.
This attitude will be--and has been--called racism. But it is the clash of civilizations, 21st vs 7th.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a born again cynic:
- The taliban was controlling access to the airport. Who do you think they let in?
- Remember when castro emptied his prisons and mental hospitals during The Mariel Boatlift?
- In the pictures of the air field and the plane loads of evacuees= The vast majority of them were young afghan males.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13400 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

What were the democrats and Pelosi doing while Americans were being blown up in Afghanistan? They were prioritizing and celebrating that massive $3.5 trillion huge expansion of the federal government with no way to pay for it. Ultimately our military will have to take a huge hit. And then? We're just another European style nation. Shangri-la. That is until China realizes its imperialistic goals and becomes a world empire.

I am pretty sure that 3.5 trillion infrastructure bill is to build up their slush fund, for stealing elections. Those workers doing criminal actions are being paid a lot. If the Dems are going to steal the next election, they need much more money than for the 2020 election as they need to take over more states.

Dominion probably charges a minimum of 200 million for their work. Next election they will be under more scrutiny and may ask 500 million, or... Obviously I am guessing on the numbers, but I feel very confident that the Dems game is to receive kickbacks, so they can finance more theft. Gotta have POWER!! Pelosi and the Dem machine will stop at nothing, ask Seth Rich.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
So basically, they're telling Americans to avoid the airport but if you want to get evacuated from Afghanistan to get to the airport.

Edit: so if they enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, is the State Dept. going send that info to the Taliban?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
As the current mis-administration continues to flagellate itself on the back for "evacuating" so many out of Kabul, do not forget that the reason for the evacuation and the ongoing shit show in all three rings of the circus, is directly due to the actions and inactions of said mis-administration and the State Department.

This is not a monumental display of glory, this is a result of mishandling and throwing away 20 years of effort, too many lives lost and a thousand fold more forever damaged (people that got the t-shirt and all their friends and families that have been affected by all of this as well).

While the efforts and effect of moving over 100 thousand people, should not be taken for granted, for the committed people in the military, who wear the utilities, flight suits, medical gear and such, are those faceless and nameless unknowns, except to friend, families, and God.

Even to those who are brought out, they can never know of those who will never forget the efforts to secure them.

My hope and prayers are that those people live lives worthy of every bit of blood, sweat, tears and fears that go into their salvation.

I am, and forever will be, A Grateful American.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Doubtless Biden and company can’t wait for Ida to arrive. I’m sure they’re mindset is the more destruction, the better. The MSM will be more than happy to cooperate and bury as much of the bad news coming out of Afghanistan as possible.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Banshee, let us come to an understanding: Your perspective is different than that of most Americans. We understand this and we'll accommodate you on this to a degree. In return, you need to understand this forum is Trump country and shall continue to be so for as long as I have a hand in its operation.

You're an intelligent man, I've no doubt, so, I should not have to say anything further to you on the subject.

I understand that, and this transcends questions of Trump vs. Biden or Republicans vs. Democrats; the issue goes back even before 9/11, Afghanistan and Iraq, those just brought it to a boil. Basically the political generation which came to power beginning in the 90s in NATO has had no idea of its purpose post-Cold War. Reagan and Bush sr. were the last to really understand about common Western interest on the American side, probably due to their WW II experience. Same here; a popular reaction to German casualties in Afghanistan was "why are we fighting America's wars anyway?" People frequently don't realize that denying bases to folks who would fly airliners into highrises is in our interest too, just like having bases in Europe is in the American interest beyond the actual contribution to European security.

Current events unfortunately reinforce this development and weaken the West overall. Even if Europeans take the lesson to care more about their own security, the emerging trans-Atlantic divide emboldens authoritarian powers like China and Russia. It probably had to come to this, regardless of who ran governments throughout NATO in the last 25 years. People have unlearned about the cost of freedom and the requirements of leadership; Americans and Europeans alike are feeling too entitled to their respective positions in the world and the life they're used to. I hope we're not gonna find out the hard way that we aren't.

Posts: 2416 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
"Truth" is getting increasingly hard to find in our country, but here are some reports

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...itizens-leave-kabul/

Rep. Ronny Jackson (R-TX) tweeted Sunday night that the State Department was not helping American citizens trying to evacuate.

“I am furious!! My team has been on the phone all day trying to get AMERICAN CITIZENS out. They have been just outside the airport numerous times, but the State Department WILL NOT help them,” he tweeted.

He added, “They have been beaten by the Taliban at check points and told to leave and come back with large sums of money. Biden is going to get them killed! Enough!! We have [to] put someone who gives a damn in charge RIGHT NOW!”

Rep. Mike Waltz (R-FL) also tweeted that U.S. citizens were not being allowed into Kabul airport.

“Biden has ordered the gates closed. Our fellow Americans will soon be left behind. Unbelievable and unforgivable,” he tweeted.

Rep. Dan Crenshaw (R-TX) tweeted: “America, you need to know this: Biden is not letting citizens through the airport gates. It has been impossible to get anyone through for the last 24 hours.”

“The administration has been lying about their intent to save Americans. Unforgivable,” he added.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BansheeOne:
People frequently don't realize that denying bases to folks who would fly airliners into highrises is in our interest ....

And of course not only Europeans, but bizarrely enough, right here as well where it happened.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Taliban is currently in charge of the airport gates not Biden. He just gave them the reigns of power and control and turned his back and left. Have we hit bottom yet or do we have a ways to go?

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Biden administration swiftly blocked the Taliban from accessing the billions of dollars held by the central bank in the United States.

The blind nut found a squirrel.

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

The blind nut found a squirrel.

Can’t block what was already given to them.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
CENTCOM spox Capt. Bill Urban: “U.S. military forces conducted a self-defense unmanned over-the-horizon airstrike today on a vehicle in Kabul, eliminating an imminent ISIS-K threat to Hamad Karzai International airport. We are confident we successfully hit the target."

"Significant secondary explosions from the vehicle indicated the presence of a substantial amount of explosive material," the official said. Both officials said they are not aware of any civilian casualties.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/...anistan-vehicle-bomb

The strike in a crowded neighborhood northwest of the airport set off "significant secondary explosions," which indicated a "substantial amount of explosive material" inside the vehicle, Capt. Bill Urban, spokesman for U.S. Central Command said in a statement. While the target was initially described as a vehicle-born improvised explosive device (IED), an official clarified that the explosives were being worn by multiple bombers, rather than planted on the vehicle itself.

The drone strike Sunday occurred as families were receiving their fallen sons and daughters at Dover Air Force Base. President Biden, Chairman of Joint Chiefs Gen. Mark Milley and Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin arrived at Dover to meet with the families ahead of the dignified transfer of the fallen.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jennifer Griffin (Fox):

NOT clear whether vehicle struck had more than one suicide bomber, not clear whether suicide bomber was wearing vest or vehicle packed with explosives. Can report: at least one suicide bomber killed in car carrying explosives. This, according to senior military officials.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com...iban-takeover-kabul/

about Ghani leaving,

U.S. officials were as surprised as anyone. The Americans had expected Ghani would stay for an orderly transition to an interim authority, as the agreement that negotiators in Doha had struck promised. News of Ghani’s departure, received secondhand, meant that hope had been crushed.

“He not only abandoned his country, but then unraveled the security situation in Kabul,” said a senior U.S. official. “People just simply melted away, from the airport to everywhere else.”

In the void, law and order began to break down, with reports of armed gangs moving through the streets.

In a hastily arranged in-person meeting, senior U.S. military leaders in Doha — including McKenzie, the commander of U.S. Central Command — spoke with Abdul Ghani Baradar, head of the Taliban’s political wing.

“We have a problem,” Baradar said, according to the U.S. official. “ We have two options to deal with it: You [the United States military] take responsibility for securing Kabul or you have to allow us to do it.”

Throughout the day, Biden had remained resolute in his decision to withdraw all American troops from Afghanistan. The collapse of the Afghan government hadn’t changed his mind.

McKenzie, aware of those orders, told Baradar that the U.S. mission was only to evacuate American citizens, Afghan allies and others at risk. The United States, he told Baradar, needed the airport to do that.

On the spot, an understanding was reached, according to two other U.S. officials: The United States could have the airport until Aug. 31. But the Taliban would control the city.

Fighters were now on the move throughout Kabul, with the group’s spokesman issuing a revision of his earlier guidance: The Taliban hadn’t intended to take Kabul that day. But Ghani’s exit gave the group no choice.

Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Riddle me this:

Why are these guys still going with the ole IED route in this situation?

They have a target rich environment in a fixed location. Like literally fenced in.

Why not just drop mortars or some RPGS or, hell, a few DShKs set up nearby to fire indirectly into the crowds? I mean, that's WW1 tactics and simple to do, even for these cavemen.

There are dozens of ways they could engage our forces or the civilians massed at the airport that A) don't sacrifice a single fighter on your side, B) risk attracting American airpower because it's very easy to hide a mortar or MG crew, etc. in the city.

Beyond the "they're just irrational fanatics" saw, there has to be a practical answer.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post