SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US Embassy Alerts All Americans To Depart Afghanistan "Immediately" As More Provincial Capitals Fall
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 103
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Embassy Alerts All Americans To Depart Afghanistan "Immediately" As More Provincial Capitals Fall Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Afghanistan dangerous, Taliban more determined than government forces, Westerners not welcome - who could have guessed it?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
My question is: The Pentagon spent $88 billion training the Afghan Army over 20 years and it will be completely collapsed and overrun in less than a month. Who will be held accountable?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
My question is: The Pentagon spent $88 billion training the Afghan Army over 20 years and it will be completely collapsed and overrun in less than a month. Who will be held accountable?
Are we talking about OUR military? Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Are we talking about OUR military? Razz

True...It's really a rhetorical question because we all know that not a single General, Advisor, or any federal employee will face any consequences whatsoever. Just flush that 88 billion and 20 years down the toilet and gear up to do the same thing, the same way again soon.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's all sing 'We'll Meet Again' with Vera Lynn coz we're going back or, at least our grand kids will mostly likely be going back at some point...

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
We can monday morning quarterback, but anyone with two brain cells knew within a few months where it was going to go. We were not there to kick ass and take names having run out of pen and paper. As the undisputed greatest nation ever we cemented that place as "The Graveyard of Empires".

However......

Those of us serving and those who came afterwards all deserve what we signed up for, the thanks of a grateful nation. There is a written rule in the oath of enlistment and the commission of an officer that you will do your duty and follow the orders of the POTUS and those appointed over you. I find no shame in what our country asked of us. I find no doubt that men and women in uniform served with honor. I find that there are no more courageous souls than those that went willingly, regardless of the mission or sustainability of the cause. It may matter that, according to some, we accomplished little to nothing. I however shall never feel that way. I shall always know that a generation of immortal heroes were there and unreservedly gave of themselves. The honor of the men and women who served, fought, and died in Afghanistan is all we will have left. That is what I will hold dear and cherish.

Here is a toast the greatest nation ever, to all of us, and to my brothers and sisters, till we meet again......... and fuck em if they don't understand that they took the best and left us dregs........

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:

Those of us serving and those who came afterwards all deserve what we signed up for, the thanks of a grateful nation. There is a written rule in the oath of enlistment and the commission of an officer that you will do your duty and follow the orders of the POTUS and those appointed over you. I find no shame in what our country asked of us. I find no doubt that men and women in uniform served with honor. I find that there are no more courageous souls than those that went willingly, regardless of the mission or sustainability of the cause. It may matter that, according to some, we accomplished little to nothing. I however shall never feel that way. I shall always know that a generation of immortal heroes were there and unreservedly gave of themselves. The honor of the men and women who served, fought, and died in Afghanistan is all we will have left. That is what I will hold dear and cherish.

Here is a toast the greatest nation ever, to all of us, and to my brothers and sisters, till we meet again......... and fuck em if they don't understand that they took the best and left us dregs........

Thank you. Well said!

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2407 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know if we still hold Bagram airbase or did we give that away too?

Helicopters flying off rooftops with evacuees looks more and more likely.

I wonder if the German, Finnish, UK and other western embassies are evacuating, and if so where to?

Pentagon has announced “selective air strikes” according to the news. Maybe they should start carpet bombing…

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:

I wonder if the German, Finnish, UK and other western embassies are evacuating, and if so where to?

Pentagon has announced “selective air strikes” according to the news. Maybe they should start carpet bombing…

We turned over Bagram maybe 2 months ago? I believe Kabul was the last place we had a presence.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
quote:

We turned over Bagram maybe 2 months ago? I believe Kabul was the last place we had a presence.

Of course we did.

Great big, red, white & blue, floppy, clownshoes with fucking big jingly bells held on by silly putty.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my educated opinion this was bound to happen whenever we left. There really was no effective central government. There was no cohesive national identity. No one really thought of themselves as an Afghan, they considered themselves Tajik or Hazara or Pashtun. The only people I met over there that were worth a damn were some of the interpreters.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my educated opinion this was bound to happen whenever we left. There really was no effective central government. There was no cohesive national identity. No one really thought of themselves as an Afghan, they considered themselves Tajik or Hazara or Pashtun. The only people I met over there that were worth a damn were some of the interpreters.

Oh I agree 100%.

One would think that maybe, just maybe, even leadership as incompetent as The US Gov. in general, and Biden’s staff in particular, would have seen this coming as well.

Maybe had a viable, cohesive, and above all a violently effective plan to deal with the inevitable?

Makes me wonder why I still pay taxes…

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my educated opinion this was bound to happen whenever we left.

Absolutely. I read a quote the other day in reference to the Afghans and the US:

"You have the watches, but we have the time".

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigolicious:
We can monday morning quarterback, but anyone with two brain cells knew within a few months where it was going to go. We were not there to kick ass and take names having run out of pen and paper. As the undisputed greatest nation ever we cemented that place as "The Graveyard of Empires".

However......

Well put. Having served in both Iraq and Afghanistan I saw so much waste of effort lives blood and money it is mind boggling but we were ordered to perform a mission and we did it to the highest standard.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my educated opinion this was bound to happen whenever we left.

This was evident to anybody not too clue-impaired to see it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:

Staff at the German embassy is being reduced to the "operative" minimum. As of yesterday, the plan was to bring out about 100 nationals plus local helpers on chartered flights. With the speed of the Taliban advance seemingly overtaking that, it was announced today that somewhat belatedly, Germany will follow the lead of the US, UK and Canada and deploy troops to secure evacuation next week. We're probably looking at about a battalion's worth of mostly airborne forces; talk is now of a four-digit number of locals being flown out.

And there goes Mazar, too.

Posts: 2412 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems the U.S. gov't was operating under the assumption that the people of Afghanistan do not want the Taliban in power. Sure, some Afghani exiles living in the west insisted that if they were put in power the country would follow and embrace western style government.

The preference of muslims for governments based on sharia law is something westerners don't understand. But the west will learn very quickly once Muslims reach a majority in Europe in the next 30-40 years due to differential birth rates.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
But wait let's go back http://trib.al/seF1ujq

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2180 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
What a fucking eunuch.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by southernmaninla:
But wait let's go back http://trib.al/seF1ujq

The Taliban has Biden just where they want him. He is now sending 5000 more troops to Afghanistan. It has now become Biden's war.

Once you reengage it is all your responsibility.

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post