SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whats in your glass tonight??? Part(?)
Page 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 298
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats in your glass tonight??? Part(?) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Just got home from work. My new favorite, Jameson Irish Whiskey and Diet Canada Dry.

Posts: 342 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
A Weller 12 & Van Winkle 12 blind taste test. My wife poured and I want to see if I can pick them out. #1 is really tasty, I'm drinking it neat to start with and will add a small splash of water to see if it opens up.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Watchful Guardian
Picture of badkarma56
posted Hide Post
Springbank Longrow 14 Burgundy Finish. Cool

-BK

"If it's all the same to you, I'd really prefer to visit the range."

Posts: 7980 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerkyjer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
A Weller 12 & Van Winkle 12 blind taste test. My wife poured and I want to see if I can pick them out. #1 is really tasty, I'm drinking it neat to start with and will add a small splash of water to see if it opens up.

Please elaborate for us mere mortals unable to get a bottle of PVW.

Talk us thru sir.

War Eagle!

Posts: 206 | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
A little Johnnie Walker Platinum.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I know they say Weller 12 is a close example of Van Winkle. It's not. I new immediately which was Van Winkle. Tasting it neat, it was really good nothing was needed but I added two small ice cubes and it changed neither better nor worse. Caramel changed to butterscotch and the slight burn from the 90 proof all but disappeared.

The store had a bottle of Van Winkle 10 and I didn't buy it. There are many good bourbons less than $30 and at the time I couldn't justify it. I'm calling the store in the morning and if it's there I'm going after it.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Bookers

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Avery Old Jubilation Ale
Victory 'Vine to Victory, Harvest Ale', tastes somewhat like Deschuestes Hop Trip.
Evan Williams Green.
Evan Williams Black.
Knob Creek Rye. A bit too clean. Old Overholt and JB still preferred.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
I know they say Weller 12 is a close example of Van Winkle. It's not. I new immediately which was Van Winkle. Tasting it neat, it was really good nothing was needed but I added two small ice cubes and it changed neither better nor worse. Caramel changed to butterscotch and the slight burn from the 90 proof all but disappeared.

The store had a bottle of Van Winkle 10 and I didn't buy it. There are many good bourbons less than $30 and at the time I couldn't justify it. I'm calling the store in the morning and if it's there I'm going after it.

Nicely done Sir! Next time you're doing a bourbon challenge, count me in. (I'm slumming it with a Makers tonight)

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More Human
Than Human
Picture of Ian111
posted Hide Post
46&2,

It might be too early to call it but I think I'm a bourbon convert. I still enjoy scotch but I'm enjoying this Bulleit more than any Scotch I've tasted, not that I'm that experienced but I think I prefer the flavor profile of bourbon in general. I stayed away from bourbon because people described it as "sweet" but it is not that kind of sweet, like a mixed drink or cough syrup. Can't wait to try more and Bulleit is considered barely mid tier at best! Good stuff Smile

“The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.”― Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 9811 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ian111:
46&2,

It might be too early to call it but I think I'm a bourbon convert. I still enjoy scotch but I'm enjoying this Bulleit more than any Scotch I've tasted, not that I'm that experienced but I think I prefer the flavor profile of bourbon in general. I stayed away from bourbon because people described it as "sweet" but it is not that kind of sweet, like a mixed drink or cough syrup. Can't wait to try more and Bulleit is considered barely mid tier at best! Good stuff Smile

One of my faves, and one I rarely choose for some reason. Give their green label a try, it is a rye...similar to Knob Creek or Makers, it is one of the few bourbons that I genuinely enjoy drinking neat.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
Bookers

One of the best Bourbons out there.
Uncut, straight from the barrel 125 proof goodness.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
2 1/2 oz Bombay Sapphire
1/2 oz dry vermouth
3 olives
stirred

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
'Vine to Victory', again.

Founder's Backwoods Bastard. A fortunate score.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
Bookers

One of the best Bourbons out there.
Uncut, straight from the barrel 125 proof goodness.

Be careful with Bookers! I made the mistake of thinking I could drink as much Bookers as I do Knob...didn't notice that little detail about alcohol percent! Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
For the first time, I made a "Vesper" tonight.

Actually two Wink.

3 parts Hendricks, 1 part Grey Goose, 1/2 part Lillet Blanc, 1/2 teaspoon of Q Tonic, and a lemon peel twist.

I'm hooked.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16701 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More Human
Than Human
Picture of Ian111
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Trace. I think I prefer Buffalo Trace over Bulleit after side by side tasting. Bulleit has a faint chemical nose and flavor. Buffalo Trace tingles in the mouth at the start Bulleit tingles towards the end. Buffalo seems to be more enjoyable from start to finish. Bulleit is still an enjoyable bourbon but if given a choice the winner is Buffalo Trace.

I sipped both neat and just a dash of chilled filtered water.

And Ronin1069 I plan to try some rye after I try some standard bourbons.

“The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.”― Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 9811 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
I was in SCotland a few weeks ago. We stopped in at the Glenkinchie distillery for their tour.

Now, I don't care for Glenkinchie single malt, but they did have a multi-distillery tasting at the end. One of the malts was Mortlach 15 YO.

I had my local packaged goods store order a bottle for me. As a memento of my trip to Scotland. An $80 memento, mind you.

If you like 'em sherried, you'll like the Mortlach.

I poured drams from two other malts.

For comparison purposes only, of course.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1601 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Watchful Guardian
Picture of badkarma56
posted Hide Post
Springbank 16 Cask Strength (Amontillado Sherry Cask). Cool

-BK

"If it's all the same to you, I'd really prefer to visit the range."

Posts: 7980 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post