SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Well then what WAS your first high school car?
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well then what WAS your first high school car? Login/Join 
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
1966 Mustang with a 289.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
1984 Dodge ram pickup.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
62 GMC pickup truck. Stolen in 1976 and later found near Mexacali stripped down.

Posts: 5697 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'49 Olds Rocket 88

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
'61 Impala- $100!

Posts: 673 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
'64 Pontiac Tempest LeMans. 215 c.i. straight six with "three in the tree".

Drag raced it in L Stock. The only car it couldn't beat was a certain Corvair.

I had a '64' Tempest LeMans Sport Coupe with the 326 V-8. I built it up to run C Modified Production at the local drag strip and won more than I lost. There wasn't a GTO that I couldn't beat in the county for a couple of years.

Jim

high school buddy had a 63 or 64 Chevy II,

it had a 305ish V8 in it, and very mild tune on it,

still had the 6cyl badges on the quarterpanels

he took it to the local strip and ran a few passes,

guy in the booth that would announce they times called out that it was pretty fast for a 6cyl,.,,

friend knew it was slow, and it kinda pissed him off, but he later got over it and now gets a chuckle out of it

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
1954 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup. She was a bute. Five window, two tone (blue with white upper cab), factory chrome grill, 4 speed manual (first gear being granny low), overload springs, 235ci straight six! It only had 17,000 miles on it in 1975!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2670 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
1968 Ford GT Torino convertible.

The top had a broken bar that necessitated hand assisting it down. The high mileage stock 289 was a bit anemic. No AC, from the factory. When I pulled up the carpet to evaluate replacing it, I could see pavement. Patches of rust that complimented the original blue pin striping.

How I loved that car!

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15591 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
1966 teal green Chevy Impala SS 327/300. Powerglide. Rallye wheels.
I still miss it.

Mine was the blue version, 2 door, bucket seats, with a three speed on the column. The exterior was almost identical to the one in the link below, except mine had a good bit of rust since it was 14 years old when I got it.

https://azure.barrett-jackson....-2-DOOR-COUPE-116436

I ended up selling it while in college since I couldn't afford to keep it running and cover tuition. The guy that bought it spent a good bit of money fixing it up and repainting it before totaling it about 6 months later.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2107 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
1988 Chevrolet Silverado, reg cab long bed.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10490 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
Light blue 66 Mustang, 289 engine would fly, although no power steering sucked big time!

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Graduated in '68, bought a '64 VW Variant in early '68. Rare car even then. 1500 cc with twin Solex carbs. It was followed by a '62 SS Impala with a 409 :-)

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought all the Type 3 VWs were fuel injected. I test-drove one in 1968 or 1969, and distinctly remember walking back about six blocks to the dealership on a cold Minnesota winter day when the EFI brain gave out. Was yours originally carbureted, or a conversion?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9162 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Mine was a mid 70s (don’t remember the exact year) Fiat 128. I remember the spare tire being mounted under the hood above the motor.

I “graduated” to a 1978 Fiat 131 S, which was a noticeable step up. I thought I might tweak the 131 into a rally-like car, but never did.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
In high school it was my mom's Pontiac. It wasn't bad, actually, but definitely not a dream car for a 16 year old.

I got my first car about midway through my freshman year of college. It was an entry-level Datsun, a 3 speed manual with 83 hp. I think Briggs and Stratton made the engine.

Posts: 8625 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
54 Olds 98 4dr with Rocket 324 V8, PS, PB, wonderbar radio. It was my parents who gave it to my Grandfather, when it stopped running in the early 70's I begged him to never sell it, thing sat under a big tree in his yard, he fixed it up and I drove it back home 250 miles, through high school and college.

Similar although it was single color dark green, had a leather dash that was perfect.

Like all car idiots it's the one that got away, well along with a lot of others, but this one I should have kept but I didn't had a place to keep it when I moved to the west coast to work......

Posts: 23465 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1938 Chevy 2 door sedan.....$25.00!!!!

Posts: 6624 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I thought all the Type 3 VWs were fuel injected. I test-drove one in 1968 or 1969, and distinctly remember walking back about six blocks to the dealership on a cold Minnesota winter day when the EFI brain gave out. Was yours originally carbureted, or a conversion?

Mine was a graymarket car imported by a relative after driving it through Germany on vacation. The first Squareback and Fastback type 3's sold by VW dealers were also dual Solex until '68; Bosch D-jetronic EFI by mid '68. Two door Notchbacks like mine were never officially imported to the US.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1931 Ford Crown Victoria. 49 Olds engine.
I new all the cops in North Miami (1958)

Posts: 152 | Location: west Florida | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
1969 Dodge Dart GTS, yellow with a black stripe around its butt. 340cid, carter 4 bbl. Great car for an 18 year old boy whose hormones are coursing through his bloodstream unchecked. But, I made it! No wrecks, no hits, no errors!

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post