SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Well then what WAS your first high school car?
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well then what WAS your first high school car? Login/Join 
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
62 Corvair. IIRC, a 2 speed auto on the dash. Not much power. It would downshift into low on a small hill.

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I started high school in 1988. I bought a 1985 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta when I was 16.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8173 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I started high school in 1988. I bought a 1985 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta when I was 16.

Ah yes, 135 whopping HP. What an awful time for cars. I was right there with you!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Lol. I did love that digital dash.

I found it!! Old 35mm didn’t scan well

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8173 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
1960 Chev. Impala Convertible. 283 two barrel. Paid three hundred in 1968 and it was almost mint.

While not my actual car, same colors.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Graduated in 1999, first car was the family's 1984 Olds 88, first purchased one was a 1987 DeVille in high school. Worst mistake I've ever made.

Posts: 2605 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
Beat up little shoebox nova a ‘62.
High school auto shop teacher used to build small blocks for dirt modifieds.
Class project we put a 301 in that little shoebox.
Big cam etc it would crank over 7 grand with the headers open.
It was ugly but I won senior burnouts with that little beast.

Posts: 1701 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
1973 Vega Wagon with a 327 and turbo 350 trans. Year was 1978 Wink

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1549 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Graduated in '92..
first car was a '72 Triumph Spitfire, second was a Fiat X1/9....then I finally got a car that worked, a 79 Volvo 240 2 door, 4 speed...put Pirelli's on it and flogged it....topped out at 110 and was a blast on dirt roads

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marue
posted Hide Post
1971 Cougar XR7 with a 351 Cleveland four-barrel V8. Added performance domed pistons, headers and racing cams to get her up to 400 plus HP.

I had a guy from Amarillo paint her with 6 coats of a metallic emmeron paint complete with a clearcoat finish.

Man I loved that car.

Posts: 386 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
1969 Ford Custom ex AZ Highway Patrol Cruiser with a 429 engine that my dad and I bought at a state auction in 1971 for 1,000.00 Of course I wreaked the damn thing in 1972 right before my graduation. That car could move. Scraped it out and then bought a rinkydink 1965 Volkswagen squareback that I drove when I was back home on leave from the Army. Had a 67 Ford Custom that I bought from my Platoon SGT for $500.00 that I drove up at Ft Lewis Wa in the mean time.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
1976 Buick LeSabre.

That BIG blue steel boat floated down the highway but the rear main seal leak demanded a quart of oil every 20 miles. I had to work 2 and a half hours at my job just to buy the oil to get me to work and back home for the week (bought by the case) but it was my first taste of "freedom".

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The first vehicle I owned myself was a '73 Honda CB360 motorcycle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't have a car until after I graduated. My parents gave me a new '73 Monte Carlo. Since I had a free ride to college, they splurged a little.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. ~Brian O’ Driscoll

Posts: 1453 | Location: Back to the Island in MS | Registered: May 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mutiny:
1976 Mercedes 300 diesel.

Mine was a 1982 Mercedes 240D
Had over 300k on it when I got rear ended by an F150 pulling a trailer.
Very similar to this one, but a slight off-white

Replaced it with a 300SD until I graduated HS.

quote:
Originally posted by ffemt44:
Man. After seeing your responses and all the beautiful American muscle I am envious.
I graduated in ‘04. My first car was my mother’s old ‘94 Saturn sl2. My father charged me $1500 because nothing in life is free.
Looking back I had been working 3 years and saving every penny and that life lesson was worth more to me than that car.
The car lasted me 3 years before the motor went.

My first car in college was a '96 SL2, couldn't kill that car no matter how hard I tried. Abused heavily on an autocross course at least once a month & driven hard.
Got t-boned by a Ford Escape & that did it in.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16014 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
The first vehicle I owned myself was a '78 Honda CB360 motorcycle.

My brother had an older one, though I don't remember if it was a CB350 or your CB360. Can't recall if the cylinders were vertical or canted forward. In either case, it was a great first vehicle.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9379 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
You guys were all rich. I'm with Vtwin using shoes, a bicycle and only rarely a bus. None of those went the direction I needed. Finally when I was a senior, my mother was kind of concerned that I wasn't dating. I asked her if I should take one for a walk. Then my father's view changed a bit and I got to use his car a few times. He was cheap, but not too mean.

Yes, I dreamed of any car. Fun to hear others complain about 3 on the tree, etc. In all fairness, they did help me after I graduated. But it was kind of painful to see other kids with better cars than my parents had. Only later did I realize my dad was just cheap, we really weren't that poor. He lived the depression. Even decades later.

Yep. Interesting thread because I wished for a number of these fine vehicles pictured when I was a teen. Like you, my father barely let me borrow his station wagon on occasion, so I was mostly on bike or skateboard. My parents drove kinda crappy used cars all of their lives, a Chevy Vega and a problematic Pontiac LeMans station wagon being the dominant ones; kind of sad that the Vega was the nice car. Thank God my parents bought a cheap used Karmann Ghia when the Vega died. After my dad died, my mom sold it for 2.5 times more than they paid for it, so that was nice.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17195 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:

second was a Fiat X1/9

I always wanted to have one of those. What kind of problems did you have with it?

Loved the look of these little things!

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
1972 Audi 100LS Automatic. Beige, and in mint condition.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2282 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
The first vehicle I owned myself was a '78 Honda CB360 motorcycle.

My brother had an older one, though I don't remember if it was a CB350 or your CB360. Can't recall if the cylinders were vertical or canted forward. In either case, it was a great first vehicle.

I corrected myself, it was a 1973. The CB360 had vertical cylinders. If they were canted, it was only by a tiny bit.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post