SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whataburger apologizes after manager denied serving plainclothes detective carrying gun
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whataburger apologizes after manager denied serving plainclothes detective carrying gun Login/Join 
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
It was one employee trying to follow what they thought the policy was. Many people at a fast food levels of education don’t understand the finer points of chapter 30 of the Texas penal code.

Whataburger is almost annoyingly supportive of law enforcement personnel. Not only will they not charge uniformed officers, I once went to one to get take out for my whole family on the way home from work (in uniform) and they tried to give me 4 meals despite me explaining that I was off duty on the way home and the food was for my family. They basically didn’t care and I had to leave the money on the counter and walk out to not get out without paying.

Nobody is mad at wataburger and it wasn’t a political statement

The kids in the friendswood whatabugers (there are 2 in that town) are nice kids trying to earn gas money.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2450 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
It was one employee trying to follow what they thought the policy was. Many people at a fast food levels of education don’t understand the finer points of chapter 30 of the Texas penal code.

Whataburger is almost annoyingly supportive of law enforcement personnel. Not only will they not charge uniformed officers, I once went to one to get take out for my whole family on the way home from work (in uniform) and they tried to give me 4 meals despite me explaining that I was off duty on the way home and the food was for my family. They basically didn’t care and I had to leave the money on the counter and walk out to not get out without paying.

Nobody is mad at wataburger and it wasn’t a political statement

The kids in the friendswood whatabugers (there are 2 in that town) are nice kids trying to earn gas money.
What I think we may have here is the 'bad apple' syndrome springing up again. This burger chain may indeed be LEO friendly overall (I have no personal experience with them given we have no local store to try), but as someone else noted earlier, we've seen a culture shift over the past 8 years that has emboldened 'some' people to behave very irresponsibly with LE. When they're hiring fast food workers, its rather likely they'll end up with a few who are not going to represent the company admirably. The challenge will always be for companies like this to weed out and terminate these 'bad apples' before they do something stupid that the company will have to spend untold hours and money trying to recover from. That may well be what happened here.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Although Whataburger decided to ban the open carrying of guns across its 673 Texas locations when the Lone Star state’s open carry law went into effect in 2016, the chain created an exception to the rule for law enforcement officials, Dallas News reports.

First of all, Texas’ 30.06 and 30.07 signs don’t apply to peace officers, and it doesn’t matter what “exceptions” Whataburger makes to accomodate law enforcement. Plus, NO business that serves the public in any way, shape, or form commits an offense can keep a Texas peace officer from entering:

Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY.
(a) Sections 46.02 and 46.03 ( UCW and Places Weapons Prohibited do not apply to:

(1) peace officers or special investigators under Article 2.122, Code of Criminal Procedure, and neither section prohibits a peace officer or special investigator from carrying a weapon in this state, including in an establishment in this state serving the public, regardless of whether the peace officer or special investigator is engaged in the actual discharge of the officer's or investigator's duties while carrying the weapon;

Posts: 4520 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
quote:

Although Whataburger decided to ban the open carrying of guns across its 673 Texas locations when the Lone Star state’s open carry law went into effect in 2016, the chain created an exception to the rule for law enforcement officials, Dallas News reports.

First of all, Texas’ 30.06 and 30.07 signs don’t apply to peace officers, and it doesn’t matter what “exceptions” Whataburger makes to accomodate law enforcement. Plus, NO business that serves the public in any way, shape, or form commits an offense can keep a Texas peace officer from entering:

(a) Sections 46.02 and 46.03 ( UCW and Places Weapons Prohibited do not apply to:

(1) peace officers or special investigators under Article 2.122, Code of Criminal Procedure, and neither section prohibits a peace officer or special investigator from carrying a weapon in this state, including in an establishment in this state serving the public, regardless of whether the peace officer or special investigator is engaged in the actual discharge of the officer's or investigator's duties while carrying the weapon;

You are right, of course. I hasten to point out I did not write the news article I posted that paragraph is from.

Some idiot reporter, if you will forgive the redundancy.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by car541:

we've seen a culture shift over the past 8 years that has emboldened 'some' people to behave very irresponsibly with LE. When they're hiring fast food workers, its rather likely they'll end up with a few who are not going to represent the company admirably. The challenge will always be for companies like this to weed out and terminate these 'bad apples' before they do something stupid that the company will have to spend untold hours and money trying to recover from. That may well be what happened here.

I find it interesting that, apparently, Chik-Fil-A doesn't seem to have any problems or issues finding workers all who overwhelmingly behave in a courteous and well behaved manner. Why do seemingly all the other fast food places have so many surly employees? Of course the other fast food chains have good employees, but no where Chik-Fil-A standards.

Posts: 11894 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by car541:

we've seen a culture shift over the past 8 years that has emboldened 'some' people to behave very irresponsibly with LE. When they're hiring fast food workers, its rather likely they'll end up with a few who are not going to represent the company admirably. The challenge will always be for companies like this to weed out and terminate these 'bad apples' before they do something stupid that the company will have to spend untold hours and money trying to recover from. That may well be what happened here.

I find it interesting that, apparently, Chik-Fil-A doesn't seem to have any problems or issues finding workers all who overwhelmingly behave in a courteous and well behaved manner. Why do seemingly all the other fast food places have so many surly employees? Of course the other fast food chains have good employees, but no where Chik-Fil-A standards.
As I posted previously, Whataburgers employees are 2nd only to Chick-fil-a in terms of courteousness. They are nothing like other fast food restaurants.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23399 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

I don't know if it is an across the company policy, but our local CFA is paying $15/hr

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14201 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps Whataburger should close all of its locations for a short time, maybe 30 minutes or so, to provide training for its employees and managers so they better understand police bias?

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1212 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
quote:

You’re a little off on your reading of the penal code.

46.15 applies to peace officers being charged with ucw (46.02)or places weapons prohibited (46.03) and says they can’t be charged with those crimes. The question here was never whether the Friendswood PD detective could be arrested for having the weapon, but rather whether or not he could be kicked out of the store or denied service.

30.07 applies only to LTC holders and is inapplicable on its face to charge a peace officer with criminal trespass by a license holder.

The sections you were looking for were 30.05(L) penal code which states that a peace officer cannot be criminal trespassed if the reason is that he is carrying a weapon and article 2.1305 code of criminal procedures which requires public establishments to allow peace officers to carry their weapon inside.

Given that, neither prescribes an offense, unless you throw it under the catch all of 38.15 penal code “interfering with public duties”

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2450 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I have no doubt that it was an isolated mistake and that What-a-burger is very LEO supportive. I also support and respect LEO's... but with that said we as a society have been coerced into believing that it is perfectly acceptable for LEOs (government employees) to carry a weapon but it is NOT acceptable for a common citizen to....Once 'bearing' a weapon is no longer allowed how far away is it to no longer allow us to 'keep' one?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
How about these idiots just serve food and try not to interpret or apply law for which they are ignorant and untrained? Stop the SJW garbage and flip the burger/serve the burger.

Hint: Someone who is going to rob you will have the gun in their hand and will not politely order food in advance.

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
In Texas, for reasons unknown to me Whataburger has decided NOT to post a 30.07 sign. which is their right. If an employee notices an OCer, he/she will discreetly notify him/her that's a 'no-no' in their place of business and OCer will have to cover it up or leave or put it somewhere not observable by the public.

Frankly, I only OC when getting gas or when walking in large parking lots going to and from stores, so I'm not impacted or militant towards businesses that don't allow OC, but do allow CC.

You can conceal carry in their restaurants.

All that being said, I like their food and have never encountered a surly employee.

Every business on occasion hires a moron. Can't be helped when dealing with large numbers of humans.

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
I wonder, did the employee honestly believe he/she was following policy, doing the right thing? Or did the employee have a "social justice" attitude. Maybe I wonder because I have seen various instances of those on campus being quite dishonorable in their conduct under the guise of social justice. But in CA they get away with it.

I'd bet on stupidity, especially on gun issues in Texas, but you never know. There could be an employee with an agenda. But again, a Whataburger clerk is not where you expect to find much social consciousness. If anything but stupidity, maybe it was someone with a chip on their shoulder about cops.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53134 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I like WAB, the only place that I will go for a burger. The three incidents are statisticly insignificant and clearly it is not WAB corporate policy to disrespect the police. I have eaten more than a few burgers toting a roscoe IWB. Think that I will do it for lunch today.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5971 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t think Whataburger uses signs. I’ve not seen any signs at the Whataburgers I have been to.

The statute says carry is a crime only after adequate notice which can be by defined sign, a card with the notice handed to the customer, or orally by a person in apparent responsibility.

What they do at Whataburger is come over and inform you, and if you refuse to leave or ditch the firearm, then it becomes a trespass, etc.

I wonder which other of our rights can private business refuse? Perhaps they can compel some of us drink from a separate fountain and eat out back....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29775 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
This thread sure is an illustration of people seeing what they want to see in the same set of facts.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53134 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
The three incidents are statistically insignificant...
Yet I would argue quite the opposite. If we went back say 25 years or so, I think finding even one instance of this behavior happening anywhere would be difficult. We've had a cultural shift in this country that's made such behavior not only acceptable but even viewed as an accomplishment to some. From what others here far more familiar with Whataburger than I am have suggested, their corporate policy is very supportive of LE, so this may have indeed been the bad behavior of a select employee or someone who had no clue how their open carry policy really worked.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
The three incidents are statistically insignificant...
Yet I would argue quite the opposite. If we went back say 25 years or so, I think finding even one instance of this behavior happening anywhere would be difficult. We've had a cultural shift in this country that's made such behavior not only acceptable but even viewed as an accomplishment to some. From what others here far more familiar with Whataburger than I am have suggested, their corporate policy is very supportive of LE, so this may have indeed been the bad behavior of a select employee or someone who had no clue how their open carry policy really worked.

25 years ago, there was no concealed, or open, carry, so no policy whatsoever, at least here. Governor Bush beat Ann Richards who had vetoed a prior bill. In 1995, Dubya signed the bill into law.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
This thread sure is an illustration of people seeing what they want to see in the same set of facts.
But, oh, through the fog, you jhe88 see with absolute clarity.

Let's think about this for a minute. You've got some 16/17 year old kid at a register in a fast food restaurant. The only time in this kid's entire life- that which has already lived, and that which is to come- the only time this kid will ever have a chance to wield any sort of authority over the police is when he refuses to sell a cop a burger. He can recount the story to his friends over and over. He can embellish the story to make himself out to be a hero standing up against the evil, murderous police. He can describe the shocked expression on the police officer's face as the heroic burger pusher explained to the cop that he was breaking the law, and the kid can say "Damn right I saw that stupid cop's badge".

This is it, boys and girls. This is the high water mark for this black or, more likely, Hispanic teenager. After this, any authority he wields will be with the illegitimate kids he cranks out and cannot really afford.

How'd I do, jhe? Pretty close?

BTW, I took a look at this Whataburger location at ground level in Google Maps. There are several fast food restaurants within yards of this place. Way to go, senor burger refuser. You sure showed that policeman, huh? It might take the guy three extra minutes to go someplace else and get served. You should savor it, son, because that's the only time you'll have this experience, microscopic though it is.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 108007 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
The law enforcement official attempted to explain to the manager on duty that he was with the police, but the manager refused to complete his order.

Not just a counterman, but a manager.