SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whataburger apologizes after manager denied serving plainclothes detective carrying gun
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whataburger apologizes after manager denied serving plainclothes detective carrying gun Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Whataburger has apologized on behalf of a Texas employee who refused to serve a plainclothes detective because he was openly carrying a weapon. The chain has since announced they plan to initiate additional training for employees on their open carry policies for law enforcement officials.

On May 31, an unnamed Friendswood Police Department detective went into Whataburger at 214 E Parkwood Dr. with “a gun at his side and a badge clearly visible next to it,” KTRK reports. The law enforcement official attempted to explain to the manager on duty that he was with the police, but the manager refused to complete his order.

Authorities say the detective proceeded to exit the fast food chain, about 20 miles southeast of Houston, before tensions escalated.

As of June 1, Whataburger representatives had contacted the detective and apologized, according to the outlet. The iconic Texas burger joint later offered Fox News the following statement:

“This was an unfortunate misunderstanding of our open carry policy, and we've talked to the detective to make this right. He was understanding, accepted our apology and said he plans to come back to Whataburger,” a spokesperson said. “Our company policy allows law enforcement with proper identification to open carry at our restaurants, and we'll be reinforcing this policy with employees through additional training.”

“We've also been in contact with the Friendswood Police Officers Association. We want to make it clear that this detective and all law enforcement are welcome in our restaurants and we're proud to serve them,” they added.

Although Whataburger decided to ban the open carrying of guns across its 673 Texas locations when the Lone Star state’s open carry law went into effect in 2016, the chain created an exception to the rule for law enforcement officials, Dallas News reports.

Notably, this is the third time in recent years that the San Antonio-headquartered chain has quickly taken action in responding to similar situations.

In October 2017, Whataburger fired a Denison employee who cursed at two officers and refused to serve them. In September 2015, the chain fired a Lewisville worker who wouldn’t serve two police officers.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I love Whataburger and I'm craving a #1 w/cheese mustard all the way, and maybe they should add "would you serve police officers" to the application.

Nevermind, some ninny from HR will put the kibosh on that.

Posts: 2016 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I wonder, did the employee honestly believe he/she was following policy, doing the right thing? Or did the employee have a "social justice" attitude. Maybe I wonder because I have seen various instances of those on campus being quite dishonorable in their conduct under the guise of social justice. But in CA they get away with it.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
IME, Whataburger is 2nd to only Chick-fil-a in terms of polite and prompt customer service. That only comes from having standards, training, and accountability.

Additionally, Texas requires 30.07 signs to be in 1” or larger block letters at all entrances to lawfully prohibit open carry. It’d be easy to forget the plainclothes detective exemption when you see a sign like that several times every shift.

Based on the above, I’ll give the chain a pass. They obviously pride themselves in customer service and I’m confident they’ll close up this knowledge gap thru training and if necessary culling.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23399 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fast food managers are not known for their vast depth of knowledge. Since it is Texas, and not California it was probably not a social justice issue.

Posts: 17345 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
There are “snowflakes” everywhere. Guess Texas is bound to have some too......

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10931 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I don’t think Whataburger uses signs. I’ve not seen any signs at the Whataburgers I have been to.

The statute says carry is a crime only after adequate notice which can be by defined sign, a card with the notice handed to the customer, or orally by a person in apparent responsibility.

What they do at Whataburger is come over and inform you, and if you refuse to leave or ditch the firearm, then it becomes a trespass, etc.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Fast food managers are not known for their vast depth of knowledge. Since it is Texas, and not California it was probably not a social justice issue.
Agreed.

Friendswood is a stones throw from NASA and it’s a combination blue collar and white collar community. At last census is was 90% white with median income of $115k so I’m doubtful it’s a black lies matter issue. The city is split by 2 counties so voting trends are more effort than I’m willing to undertake.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23399 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
To add to JAllen’s post, I’ve been in several rural WB’s where folks were OC-ing and am 99% certain they were not LEOs. I do think a lot of the reason for Whataburger’s initial response to open carry was to not alienate a percentage of their customer base. But since OC has become a non-issue many of the less metropolitan locations don’t enforce the policy.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I love Wataburger but either post 30.07 or allow OC. Doing so allows LTC holders to make an informed decision to patronize your establishment or not prior to entering. By going the verbal route they're attempting to stratle both sides.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1909 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Whataburger is not only very good food, but very well managed. Our investment co. had a property leased to a Whataburger unit for several years, and they were first class in every way, very impressive.

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Whataburger is not only very good food, but very well managed. Our investment co. had a property leased to a Whataburger unit for several years, and they were first class in every way, very impressive.

I would question the management decision to enter the debate on gun control.

A good management decision would be 'We follow the local and state laws where our establishments are located, we do not further restrict or attempt to influence public policy in any way. We are a hamburger chain and producing the best food possible is what we focus on.'

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like this "Manager" is a complete fool and or idiot with NO common sense. I guess that's why they are working at a burger joint and not in a high tech position??

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
In October 2017, Whataburger fired a Denison employee who cursed at two officers and refused to serve them. In September 2015, the chain fired a Lewisville worker who wouldn’t serve two police officers.

This had jack and shit to do with open carry.
This has to do with BLM VS Law Enforcement.
FIRE the jackass now.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39780 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I am certain that this is another manifestation of a growing lack of respect for law enforcement officers in a segment of our society. Much of this attitude is driven by the anti-police bias of the media during the previous administration. What amazes me is how often these moron managers insert themselves into a shitstorm by refusing to serve police officers. Similar to the city or homeowner's associations that tell residents they cannot fly the America flag. How can they be that clueless?

That point aside, I worked in plain clothes for many years, including in hot climates. Investigators wear plain clothes and drive unmarked cars so as to not draw attention to themselves while carrying out their duties. Most get a clothing allowance to buy civilian clothing. Being discreet in public gives an officer a big advantage-you see things you would never see in uniform. Walking around with your gun exposed and your badge on your belt like Bosch draws attention more than a uniform. Who are you trying to impress? If you want to go around with your shit hanging out so everyone knows who you are, why not just go all the way and put on a uniform?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
quote:

FIRE the jackass now.
I'm inclined to think the same thing. Article states the officer had a clearly displayed badge on and explained who he was. That, coupled with these other instances seem to indicate a trend.

Also, why do I believe it is a really stupid idea to confront an armed individual and seek to piss them off by refusing them service?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Used to live there on the Galveston County side. It was a nice place to live and the folks there were decent people. None of the Houston racial crap made it down South that far.

IF this was the employee copping a SJW attitude with the cop then he/she/it needs to be fired.

The Friendswood Police Department and the Galveston County Sheriff might just make that kid's life miserable.

Texas y'all!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20340 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
quote:

FIRE the jackass now.
I'm inclined to think the same thing. Article states the officer had a clearly displayed badge on and explained who he was. That, coupled with these other instances seem to indicate a trend.

Also, why do I believe it is a really stupid idea to confront an armed individual and seek to piss them off by refusing them service?

I guess if you announced in a loud voice, “Hey you with the gun! Get the fuck out!”, it would come across as confrontational. There are better ways.

Why do you believe it would “piss them off?” People who open carry have permits, have done the training, know that we don't shoot people because we are mad at them, but because they are a threat physically. That’s why there are so few road rage shootings, parking lot shootings, etc.

Why not assume the employee saw the gun, saw the badge, believed that store policy was to ask the gunperson to leave, and now knows about the LEO exception? There are so few open carriers (that I’ve seen) that the full ramifications of the policy might not be well internalized by some and with a bit of nervous, they fumbled it. Now they know.

posted Hide Post
The narrative of refusal, resistance and defiance has been planted in the brain of this manager, whether or not this manager is a SJW or, a simpleton that acted on emotion, the damage is done and the propaganda is working. This manager was 'triggered', refused service to somebody who was OC AND had their LEO badge next to said weapon, is already a victory for the anti's. Meanwhile, Whataburger upper management is left having to clean-up the mess and apologize all over the place. The anti's are grinning.

Posts: 14758 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
I am certain that this is another manifestation of a growing lack of respect for law enforcement officers in a segment of our society. Much of this attitude is driven by the anti-police bias of the media during the previous administration. What amazes me is how often these moron managers insert themselves into a shitstorm by refusing to serve police officers. Similar to the city or homeowner's associations that tell residents they cannot fly the America flag. How can they be that clueless?

That point aside, I worked in plain clothes for many years, including in hot climates. Investigators wear plain clothes and drive unmarked cars so as to not draw attention to themselves while carrying out their duties. Most get a clothing allowance to buy civilian clothing. Being discreet in public gives an officer a big advantage-you see things you would never see in uniform. Walking around with your gun exposed and your badge on your belt like Bosch draws attention more than a uniform. Who are you trying to impress? If you want to go around with your shit hanging out so everyone knows who you are, why not just go all the way and put on a uniform?

And down here in Arizona that is not a problem. Tucson restaurants that cater to left leaning crowd don't freak out when a plain clothes cop enters with handgun and badge clearly displayed.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post