SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Supreme Court Nomination Pool
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Supreme Court Nomination Pool Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"I just saw the pick, and I was like..."

Did you, now?

I hope every last one of these LYING, posturing idiots sees this video.

Posts: 109167 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Good grief!!! I'd be happy to lower the drinking age but raise the voting age.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4364 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I understand conservative resentment against the Bushes, but I believe (without looking in detail) for most of the judges on Trump's list the reason they are candidates for SCOTUS is that they were appointed to a lower court by 41 or 43. And 41 gave us Clarence Thomas.

Can you imagine if there had been no Reagan or Bush presidency what SCOTUS would be like now?

Posts: 18386 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Perfect example of the mindless drones on the left.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I understand conservative resentment against the Bushes, but I believe (without looking in detail) for most of the judges on Trump's list the reason they are candidates for SCOTUS is that they were appointed to a lower court by 41 or 43. And 41 gave us Clarence Thomas.

Can you imagine if there had been no Reagan or Bush presidency what SCOTUS would be like now?

The 3 males mentioned as finalists were all appointed to their Circuit Court seats by Bush 43. Barratt was confirmed last year.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
On eve of Trump's Supreme Court pick, top Dem suggests sacrificing Senate seats to stop nomination

Fox News

Just one day before President Trump is set to announce his pick to replace retiring Supreme Court Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy in a primetime address from the White House, a top Democratic senator suggested that stopping the nominee is more important than the upcoming midterm elections.

Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., acknowledged that so-called red-state Democrats may be tempted to vote for Trump's selection out of political necessity, but urged his colleagues Sunday to consider more than their political careers.

"Beyond the procedure, beyond the gamesmanship, it is a life-and-death important decision to be made by this court on so many issues," the Senate minority whip said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

"The men and women that I work with on the Democratic side really take this seriously," he added, after host Chuck Todd raised the possibility that Democrats could lose their bid to retake the Senate by opposing the nominee. "They understand it's an historic decision. It's about more than the next election. It's about what future the United States of America is going to chart."

Speaking on "Fox News Sunday," Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham called the situation a veritable "nightmare" for Democrats hanging onto their vulnerable seats in states that largely support Trump.

Those Democrats -- including West Virginia's Joe Manchin, North Dakota's Heidi Heitkamp, and Indiana's Joe Donnelly -- must choose between alienating their constituents, or trying to halt a conservative nominee who may ultimately prove unstoppable anyway because of the GOP's slim Senate majority.

Only 50 votes are needed to confirm a justice, because Senate Republicans eliminated the filibuster for Supreme Court justices last year -- widely seen as a retaliation for Democrats' decision to get rid of the filibuster to ensure that President Barack Obama's nominees were seated on the D.C. Circuit.

Durbin charged that it was "totally inconsistent" for Republicans to press for a vote on Trump's nominee after stalling the nomination of Merrick Garland in 2016. GOP Senate leaders refused to vote on Garland's selection, saying it was inappropriate to consider a nomination during a presidential election year -- a principle Durbin claimed must logically apply to midterm election cycles as well.

But Judiciary Committee member Sen. Chris Coons, D-Del., said Sunday he would still be willing to meet with Trump's nominee, even as he echoed Durbin's complaints about Garland's treatment.

After rampant speculation that has reached a fevered pitch, Trump is believed to have narrowed his shortlist to four candidates: federal judges Thomas Hardiman, Brett Kavanaugh, Raymond Kethledge and Amy Coney Barrett.

Graham called the hyper-partisan Supreme Court nomination process "dysfunctional," but said Republicans should be happy with those four candidates.

"If you're a conservative Republican, the four people named -- particularly Thomas Hardiman, I'm glad he's on the list -- are all winners, and all Republicans should embrace these picks," Graham told host Dana Perino.

Sources tell Fox News that Judge Thomas Hardiman of the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals is a candidate to replace retiring Justice Anthony Kennedy; chief White House correspondent John Roberts reports.

Hardiman, a newer arrival on Trump's shortlist, is a 3rd Circuit judge with blue-collar appeal who married into a prominent Democratic family. He was a front-runner for the Supreme Court seat that went to Neil Gorsuch last year, and was reportedly recommended to Trump by his sister, Maryanne Trump Barry, who served on the bench with him.

Hardiman's stock was rising as some conservatives have soured on Kavanaugh in recent days, saying he has too much baggage from his work related to the Ken Starr investigation that led to President Bill Clinton's impeachment.

Kavanaugh has also taken criticism for writing an opinion on the D.C. Circuit that used an obscure jurisdictional argument to avoid ruling at all on the constitutionality of ObamaCare -- a rationale ultimately rejected by the Supreme Court, which opted to take the case and uphold the law on other grounds.

But Leonard Leo, a top Federalist Society executive and key adviser to Trump on Supreme Court picks, on Sunday downplayed those concerns.

"Every potential nominee before announcement, every potential nominee before announcement, gets concerns expressed about them by people who might ultimately support them," Leo said on ABC's "This Week."

"People aren't always familiar with their records," he added. "Sometimes people say things about one nominee because they favor another."

Key adviser to President Trump helped draw up that list of 25 names from which the president says he will choose his next Supreme Court nominee.
In fact, Leo said, the lack of a lengthy paper trail can be a detriment on its own, even if it can lead to less complicated confirmation hearings.

"Well, I think that first of all with regard to Ray Kethledge and Tom Hardiman, they're a little bit less known by conservatives," he said. "And their records are a little bit lighter."

Republicans have long expressed regret over President H.W. Bush's nomination of David Souter to the court, and vowed to more carefully screen future nominees. Predicted to be a conservative justice, Souter instead turned out to be a reliably liberal vote.

The White House has reportedly prepared advance information packages on four potential nominees. Trump's announcement of his ultimate pick is expected at 9 p.m. ET on Monday.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., acknowledged that so-called red-state Democrats may be tempted to vote for Trump's selection out of political necessity, but urged his colleagues Sunday to consider more than their political careers.

Anyone think for one second that this Grade A douchebag would be saying such a thing if it were his seat in jeopardy? Jerk.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Anyone think for one second that this Grade A douchebag would be saying such a thing if it were his seat in jeopardy? Jerk.

Yeah, easy for him to say from a deep blue shit hole state. Roll Eyes

I would bet that at least a couple democrat senators vote for who ever President Trump nominates and Durbin is saying this before he even knows who President Trump will nominate.

The democrats know their decades of legislating from the bench are coming to an end and it is a very bitter pill for them to swallow.

Hey little Dickie, elections have consequences.

Posts: 9850 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Just think. In about 24 hours, someone’s life is going to be changed forever, if they can survive the next few months.

Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I think I lean towards wanting Hardiman. He seems like potentially the strongest 2nd Amendment advocate. It seems women are more easily swayed to compromise on the 2nd Amendment so Barrett makes me a little nervous. I really couldn't care less about Roe v Wade or abortion related issues, but do believe that more positive case law in support of the 2nd Amendment is vital. I'm willing to give a little on just about every other front, but not willing to give an inch on the 2nd. Honestly if one of the potential nominees was on record in opposition to the Hughes Amendment then they would have my full support. In all honesty attacking the Hughes Amendment is my most important domestic priority personally as I believe it is an unconstitutional abomination and also because limiting the Hughes Amendment would give us considerable breathing space with the 2nd Amendment.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5618 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Raymond Kethledge of Michigan, 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals

I don't know a lot about Kethledge, but I like what I'm reading about him....

Supreme Court contender Kethledge enters spotlight as conservatives look for ‘Gorsuch 2.0’

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.45322ac008e9

Potential Supreme Court Nominee Raymond Kethledge Fiercely Defends Religious Liberty
https://thefederalist.com/2018...s-religious-liberty/

Judge Raymond Kethledge and the Second Amendment
https://www.nationalreview.com...he-second-amendment/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24644 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Raymond Kethledge of Michigan, 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals

I don't know a lot about Kethledge, but I like what I'm reading about him....

Supreme Court contender Kethledge enters spotlight as conservatives look for ‘Gorsuch 2.0’

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.45322ac008e9

Potential Supreme Court Nominee Raymond Kethledge Fiercely Defends Religious Liberty
https://thefederalist.com/2018...s-religious-liberty/

Judge Raymond Kethledge and the Second Amendment
https://www.nationalreview.com...he-second-amendment/

I believe both of those were posted in this thread the other day.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm all for a Justice who's as pro-2A as possible, but there are a lot of things that need to get cleaned up. Here's hoping that we get a nominee who's scholarly, a good writer, pro-2A and a whole lot more.

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The WSJ is advocating for Kavenaugh on the basis of his 12-year record on the District Court. They think that's a more reliable indicator of future performance than "biography".

Posts: 18386 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
The WSJ is advocating for Kavenaugh on the basis of his 12-year record on the District Court. They think that's a more reliable indicator of future performance than "biography".

WSJ? Wantabe Social Justice?

j/k

Seriously though, the Journal has been drifting leftward for years. I'm not sure I'd take their recommendation as anything other than a counter-indicator.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17568 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24644 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GtRY0yxSgVw" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

That was last week. Shannon just interviewed a fellow who was pimping for Thomas Hardiman, and downplaying Barratt as young enough to wait for next time.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I guess we will find out soon enough...
Smile

-rduckwor

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
From the video @1:20
'...the White Supremacist Legion of Doom...."

The White Supremacists have a Legion of Doom?

Do they have a silent drill team?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32057 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Kethledge is the one McConnell wants, so I hope he isn't the pick.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post