SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times Login/Join 
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Nice! Definitely consider a Blur. I love mine!

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Basic knife drills (2015):

Basic 8 Angles of Attack for Knives (2018):

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
To remedy this I use the ulticlip 3.3 slim.
[URL=UltiClip Slim 3.3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G...ding=UTF8&psc=1]Slim 3.3[/URL]

quote:
Originally posted by muddle_mann:
It's all about the sheath. Seems Cold Steel has finally figured it out. The "securex" is nice until you yank on the handle and the whole thing, sheath and all comes out of your pants. You need the high wall past the hilt. I place my thumb on the sheath and press as I pull out that usually does the trick.

Since my state has a 3" fixed blade restriction I am looking at:

Morakniv Craftline Carpentry Chisel

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I believe in carrying a big stick- I mean knife..... https://imgur.com/a/G8kdmJz

All kidding aside there is a lot of good stuff here, a good knife really is a special thing!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Texas law had long been quite favorable to single-edged knives, up to 5.5” in blade length. A few years ago, the legislature made things better, removing “dagger” from the list of prohibited weapons, and allowing blades over 5.5” to be generally carried, except in specified restricted locations. My response was to buy several RMJ Tactical Raider daggers, which have blades just under 5.5”, and gradually add some bigger knives.

A particular recent favorite is the Spartan Blades Les George V-14, a dagger with a blade just under 7”. This one combines features from several WW2 fighting knives, with the “V” being an obvious nod to the V-42, but the V-14 is not a replica of the V-42.

My right hand, thumb, and wrist have not aged well, but, I can still hold a dagger handle securely, so the plan is to transition my primary handgun carry position to the left side, while a blade becomes my right-side default weapon. My recent retirement from police service makes this a good time to do this. I was born a natural left-hander, but I naturally throw righty, and use most large tools righty. I found the then-mandated DA revolvers to be amenable to ambidextrous handling, during the police academy, in 1983 and early 1984, and I knew I would be patrolling alone, so would be better able to reach my right hip while seated in a patrol car, so I chose to carry “primary” at 0300.

An added benefit of shooting “primary” with my “dumber” right hand is that I was always VERY good at swiftly inserting pistol magazines. Wink

My left hand, which was largely spared the pounding of Magnum recoil, can handle the lion’s share of future shooting, and is also better able to use reverse grip, if I reach across the body, to pull the blade in that manner. (This future shooting will be done with gentler-recoiling weapons, to better preserve my one healthy hand.)

If there is anything about the relationship between today’s troubled times, and my relatively new emphasis on carry of larger blades, it is that I really do NOT want to shoot anyone, in these times. The new DA was elected during the “blue wave,” and would love to throw a retired LEO under the bus, for political points. A thug being cut or stabbed is not very newsworthy, in comparison to a shooting.

In the past, I did enroll in some extracurricular, on-my-dime blade training, largely to learn to survive against a blade attack, in the LE context, but part of such training is taking turns being the bad guy. So, I am certainly no expert, but am quite far ahead of the typical dance-around-and-slash attacks that most street thugs do, with blades. I am thrust-oriented, with my “live” hand being an integral part of the equation.

BTW, a well-designed Indonesian-type karambit is actually quite “stabby.” There were/are very few such karambits, on the market, that have ever been well-designed.

A problem with a fixed-blade karambit is that the curved blade has to removed from its sheath along a curved path, rather than a linear path, so is not the quickest blade to bring into action. Plus, karambits are fairly small, so, not necessarily the best blade weapon to use to keep an opponent at distance. If I lived in an environment where I could not have any handgun, I might well want to carry a fixed-blade karambit, regularly, as a back-up blade.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rexster:
...BTW, a well-designed Indonesian-type karambit is actually quite “stabby.” There were/are very few such karambits, on the market, that have ever been well-designed.

Can you give/show examples/sources?

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
quote:
...BTW, a well-designed Indonesian-type karambit is actually quite “stabby.” There were/are very few such karambits, on the market, that have ever been well-designed.

The Steve Tarani design, sold through 5.11 stores, is of the Indonesian type. When held in the hand, with the ring on one’s index finger, and the blade extending from the pinkie-finder side of the hand, the point is aligned for hooking and thrusting, with movement that is aligned with the forearm bones. The Emerson karambits are an example of a totally different design philosophy, and seemingly, totally different techniques.

I am not saying which design philosophy, or set of techniques, is “better.” I am better-acquainted with the Indonesian techniques, but not to the extent of being “advanced,” much less any kind of expert.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

The Steve Tarani design, sold through 5.11 stores, is of the Indonesian type. When held in the hand, with the ring on one’s index finger, and the blade extending from the pinkie-finder side of the hand, the point is aligned for hooking and thrusting, with movement that is aligned with the forearm bones. The Emerson karambits are an example of a totally different design philosophy, and seemingly, totally different techniques.

I am not saying which design philosophy, or set of techniques, is “better.” I am better-acquainted with the Indonesian techniques, but not to the extent of being an advanced student, much less any kind of expert.

Have Colts, will travel

posted Hide Post
I mostly attended some amount of blade training in the 2003 to 2005 time frame, to learn how to better survive long enough to get to my pistol, or create the distance to keep using the pistol. I can legally carry handguns more places than I can carry a serious blade weapon.

In my LE days, I had the experience of shooting an opponent who was attacking me with a knife in one hand, and, in the other hand, a heavy SL-20 light, just-snatched from a fellow officer. Close range. One step away from contact distance. Yes, that drove me to seek some extracurricular training, as I knew that the next such experience might not end with one shot.

Have Colts, will travel

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I carry a Kobun over my sun visor in my Jeep.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:

Ordered a Link, and a Navy marked Ka-bar Mark II from SMKW. Looking around at the Cold Steel SRK in San Mai offerings, I thought my eyes were deceiving me on Amazon. $100 and change, and their #3 selling fixed blade knife. Ordered that. My Gen 5 Glock G22 money has gone for knives. Wink Expected delivery Wednesday just in case....

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Steve Tarani just came to my agency for a two day training a couple of months ago. Great training and great guy!

quote:
quote:
quote:

I am not saying which design philosophy, or set of techniques, is “better.” I am better-acquainted with the Indonesian techniques, but not to the extent of being “advanced,” much less any kind of expert.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rexter, thank you.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
My preferred fixed blade for EDC. A Bradford Guardian 3, with the horizontal sheath. An untucked t shirt covers it easily, but it's instantly accessible.

Just bought one.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:

Ordered a Link, and a Navy marked Ka-bar Mark II from SMKW. Looking around at the Cold Steel SRK in San Mai offerings, I thought my eyes were deceiving me on Amazon. $100 and change, and their #3 selling fixed blade knife. Ordered that. My Gen 5 Glock G22 money has gone for knives. Wink Expected delivery Wednesday just in case....

The Ka-Bar and SRK are two of my all-time favorites. Let us know which you like best.

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should elberettas and other folks are following this closely, Amazon's Cold Steel prices are dropping; standard SRK is now like $35 with some vendors. The San Mai is now $92, almost 10% change with Amazon; one vendor a $1 less. Delivery for me is now today, vice Wednesday even with free shipping.

ETA: SRK San Mai arrived. First impression; much more robust than the SRK-C, scary sharp, excellent heft and balance, great grip. I may have to get another.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rat2306,

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
[URL=UltiClip Slim 3.3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G...ding=UTF8&psc=1]Slim 3.3[/URL]

Thank you Benner - was lamenting this very issue on my just purchased CS-Kobun blade - clip is enroute to me now!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4562 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I’m glad I could help!

quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:

Thank you Benner - was lamenting this very issue on my just purchased CS-Kobun blade - clip is enroute to me now!

Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
Should elberettas and other folks are following this closely, Amazon's Cold Steel prices are dropping; standard SRK is now like $35 with some vendors. The San Mai is now $92, almost 10% change with Amazon; one vendor a $1 less. Delivery for me is now today, vice Wednesday even with free shipping.

ETA: SRK San Mai arrived. First impression; much more robust than the SRK-C, scary sharp, excellent heft and balance, great grip. I may have to get another.

Thanks! Picked up an SRK to keep in the truck.

Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
So this thread had been a slippery slope for me.

First the Koban was purchased, and then a Spyderco belt clip to allow me better carrying options with the sheath that came with the Koban.

Next a Cold Steel OSS was ordered, and last was the Cold Steel "Tai-Pan".

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post