SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I bought the M-2, the Tenasi wasn't out yet..

Very well made, sharp, nice kit



I have that same knife and it is a great knife.




Georgia Carry MemberNRA Lifetime Member

“With no police to protect you, did you own a gun? Did your neighbor?” - The Division 2

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014
 
Posts: 14245 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I bought the M-2, the Tenasi wasn't out yet..

Very well made, sharp, nice kit



How is the blade steel ~ 420HC I believe.
Pro and Cons?
 
Posts: 19556 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well, didn't study metallurgy, but it's high quality, sharp, will draw blood easily...

The steel is solid, and the machine work is very good.



 
Posts: 17984 | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I bought the M-2, the Tenasi wasn't out yet..

Very well made, sharp, nice kit



How is the blade steel ~ 420HC I believe.
Pro and Cons?


IMO, 420hc is an
ok stainless… not even in the same league as say S30V, but it is an ok budget steel. You’ll need to work at keeping it sharp. (2-3x more often than say S30V)

I personally like pure carbon steel because I like how the edge forms; much sharper. Although people could argue the utility of wanting stainless for EDC, I much prefer plain carbon steel. Not that hard to take care of - truly.

My current primary blade is made of M4 carbon steel which is amazingly sharp and long; has a Rockwell C hardness fairly high (~64) for a knife, but I understand the trade-offs w/ toughness/brittleness. I also carry the S30v folder and finally one big knife made of D2 (which is a tool steel); I figures for prying myself out of the tin can someday if needed.

My .02 pesos





"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein
 
Posts: 23217 | Location: Row 2F | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:


How is the blade steel ~ 420HC I believe.
Pro and Cons?


IMO, 420hc is an
ok stainless… not even in the same league as say S30V, but it is an ok budget steel. You’ll need to work at keeping it sharp. (2-3x more often than say S30V)

I personally like pure carbon steel because I like how the edge forms; much sharper. Although people could argue the utility of wanting stainless for EDC, I much prefer plain carbon steel. Not that hard to take care of - truly.

My current primary blade is made of M4 carbon steel which is amazingly sharp and long; has a Rockwell C hardness fairly high (~64) for a knife, but I understand the trade-offs w/ toughness/brittleness. I also carry the S30v folder and finally one big knife made of D2 (which is a tool steel); I figures for prying myself out of the tin can someday if needed.

My .02 pesos



Thank You - good info Cool

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Well, didn't study metallurgy, but it's high quality, sharp, will draw blood easily...

The steel is solid, and the machine work is very good.


Thanks but that is really a non-answer. Frown
 
Posts: 19556 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Well, what the heck, 90 days to Christmas! I just ordered one of the Justin Case M-4 Tenasis. It may actually arrive before a back-ordered item does. Looks as beefy as my ESEE 4.

This thread is as addicting as "You Will Buy A Glock".
 
Posts: 2492 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Thanks but that is really a non-answer. Frown


Knife Informer...Guide to the Best Blade Steels

Considered Lower-Mid Range Steel
420HC - EDGE RETENTION: 3, CORROSION RESISTANCE: 8, EASE OF SHARPENING: 9, Generally considered the king of the 420 steels, 420HC is similar to 420 steel but with increased levels of carbon (HC stands for High Carbon) which makes the steel harder. Still considered a lower-mid range steel but the more competent manufacturers (e.g. Buck) can really bring out the best in this affordable steel using quality heat treatments. That results in better edge retention and resistance to corrosion. In fact, this is one of the most corrosion resistant steels out there, despite it’s low cost. You’ll find it mostly on budget blades (< $50) and multi-tools.


----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf
 
Posts: 3381 | Location: OPSEC | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Cripes this thread has cost me a mint. A few ESEE knives and few buck’s like 891 and a new 105 pro and now I just bought the Justin Case m2 and m4 they are on sale right now. I do wish the m4 had a metal piece at the bottom of handle as a glass breaker but that’s just a nit pick. For my knife money, I only buy US made. either big companies like Buck or Spyderco (their US models only) or small boutique makers like our own Dozier/Liontribe. So we’ll see how Justin Case performs.

Since I moved to Florida I ‘had’ to get a good salt water knife for my tackle box so I found a spyderco Waterway made of LC200N steel the hottest newest corrosion free metal. May need to buy one of their folders in this steel.
 
Posts: 3854 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Well, this sucks; my JC Tact. M-4 was supposedly delivered this afternoon in my mailbox (which is locked by the carrier). It's not in there, nor at my door. Second item in a few months of a tactical nature that's disappeared. Best hope is the carrier put it in a neighbor's box who is honest.... Frown

ETA: I also got an e-mail from the vendor who said my Ontario M-3 should arrive tomorrow at their warehouse. It's now been bumped back to end of November. Frown Frown

Yet another edit as of 5:45 p.m. Sept. 30; we had someone else working my mail route yesterday. The carrier put the M-4 in someone else's box; regular carrier caught it today and the knife is here. Quite nice, I may have to get another.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rat2306,
 
Posts: 2492 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Oh, thank goodness it arrived safely!

Have gone and ordered an M-4 from Dave Smile

Yes, on sale... sheesh, might end up getting the M-2, as well Wink

Got a Bear & Son auto coming from SMKW, too, as well as gun stuff from a couple of places...

Prolly ruint my allowance Razz

pent up demand!




Frank

Dogs are gifts from God, full of love. Save a life, adopt!

…and God made dogs, and it was very good, and God said: “I’m gonna have to have all of these back.” Genesis 1, gospel according to Mr. Monkey ✡

NRA Benefactor Frown (Go away, Wayne!!! )

GOA, MCRGO, MGO, JPFO Life Member!

GLGR member

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです!
 
Posts: 4700 | Location: too near debt-riot, mitch-e-gan | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
^^Good thing the folks who have that mailbox don't check their mail daily, or were out of town. I'm considering an M-2 vice another M-4; should be a little handier for hunting, or car camping. I wear a Medium-Large glove; the M-4's scales length, width, and contour are a perfect fit for me.

ETA; just ordered an M-2. Early birthday present to me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rat2306,
 
Posts: 2492 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Good news!

Thanks for the feedback, too Smile

Please do post up, *when* you get the M-2 Wink




Frank

Dogs are gifts from God, full of love. Save a life, adopt!

…and God made dogs, and it was very good, and God said: “I’m gonna have to have all of these back.” Genesis 1, gospel according to Mr. Monkey ✡

NRA Benefactor Frown (Go away, Wayne!!! )

GOA, MCRGO, MGO, JPFO Life Member!

GLGR member

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです!
 
Posts: 4700 | Location: too near debt-riot, mitch-e-gan | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I bought both Justin Case knives. A dime under $146 delivered for both is more than fair. The m2 has a scosh small handle for my taste but I have big paws with fat fingers and like a longer handle. I had to buy the extended grips for my ESEE3 and4 and the ESEE 5 is a good handle length for me. Even the JCT m4 is just on the edge of a too small handle. Maybe it’s the geometry of my own grip that’s not right. But that’s my personal problem. My 13 year old son who’s already well over 200# and 5-8 found the grips perfect for his hands. Fit and finish of these 2 knives is top notch. Packaging is very nice. Grey blade coating is evenly applied. And blades are very sharp. At this price point you can’t got wrong. If I only could pick 1 I’d take the m4 but I’m not dissatisfied with either.

quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
^^Good thing the folks who have that mailbox don't check their mail daily, or were out of town. I'm considering an M-2 vice another M-4; should be a little handier for hunting, or car camping. I wear a Medium-Large glove; the M-4's scales length, width, and contour are a perfect fit for me.
 
Posts: 3854 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
The M-4 arrived, today!

Such quick service Big Grin

Only had a little time to have a look, but it fits my bum right paw perfectly!!!

At this moment, am thinking the M-2 might be a little small for my dominant hand.

It's a beautiful knife and am really looking forward to enjoying it Smile




Frank

Dogs are gifts from God, full of love. Save a life, adopt!

…and God made dogs, and it was very good, and God said: “I’m gonna have to have all of these back.” Genesis 1, gospel according to Mr. Monkey ✡

NRA Benefactor Frown (Go away, Wayne!!! )

GOA, MCRGO, MGO, JPFO Life Member!

GLGR member

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです!
 
Posts: 4700 | Location: too near debt-riot, mitch-e-gan | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
I bought both Justin Case knives. A dime under $146 delivered for both is more than fair. The m2 has a scosh small handle for my taste but I have big paws with fat fingers and like a longer handle. I had to buy the extended grips for my ESEE3 and4 and the ESEE 5 is a good handle length for me. Even the JCT m4 is just on the edge of a too small handle. Maybe it’s the geometry of my own grip that’s not right. But that’s my personal problem. My 13 year old son who’s already well over 200# and 5-8 found the grips perfect for his hands. Fit and finish of these 2 knives is top notch. Packaging is very nice. Grey blade coating is evenly applied. And blades are very sharp. At this price point you can’t got wrong. If I only could pick 1 I’d take the m4 but I’m not dissatisfied with either.

quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
^^Good thing the folks who have that mailbox don't check their mail daily, or were out of town. I'm considering an M-2 vice another M-4; should be a little handier for hunting, or car camping. I wear a Medium-Large glove; the M-4's scales length, width, and contour are a perfect fit for me.


My M-2 Justin Case arrived today; first impression is it beats my Ontario RAT 3 (older edition of the ESEE 3) in grip ergonomics, sharpness, and the blade (subjectively) seems to be about 1/4 again the thickness of the RAT. Balance seems to be butt heavy, though that could be handy if needing to use the skull smacking end. Grip is almost too short, but no worse than the Ontario. Quite pleased!
 
Posts: 2492 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Recon Tanto for me. Both long and normal blade length. No they are not metallurgically superior. But, for vehicles, go bags, occasional use…I can’t complain.


NRA Life Member
 
Posts: 3795 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
M-2 arrived today!

Also fits my hand well, as does the M-4.

Funnily enough, they have started to include an unopened band-aid in the box...

"Just in case"

Big Grin



The M-4 is impressive and it has great size.

The M-2 will be a bit easier to conceal Smile

Very very very pleased with both.


Jeepers, this place sure can eat up some cheddar, but in the best possible way! Big Grin




Frank

Dogs are gifts from God, full of love. Save a life, adopt!

…and God made dogs, and it was very good, and God said: “I’m gonna have to have all of these back.” Genesis 1, gospel according to Mr. Monkey ✡

NRA Benefactor Frown (Go away, Wayne!!! )

GOA, MCRGO, MGO, JPFO Life Member!

GLGR member

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです!
 
Posts: 4700 | Location: too near debt-riot, mitch-e-gan | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times

© SIGforum 2021