SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
For dozers knife how about something like Horse Stall Mat? It seems to be gnarly, grippy rubber and virtually indestructible.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Not a "stabber" but a "slasher!" Sal Glaser, CEO of Spyderco, developed this in response to a request from a "specialized branch of the US Government" who wanted a last resort weapon for undercover agents who couldn't pack a pistol.

Mine is the #C12TUFS Civilian, ATS-55 blade, aluminum-kraton handle model made around 2005-6 in Seki, Japan.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
One thing to note about dozers knife in the picture is how far the blade sticks down from the handle. This works as a guard and helps to keep your hand from slipping forward. Forgive my sausage fingers in the pics, they are the only fingers I have.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
i posted these pics in a separate thread, but i went with black micarta and added a nice, grippy pattern by hand. i have used this style before for certain models. the edges have an orange peel/bead blast style texture for added grip. i think it works with the style of this design. i will add a lanyard with our lion head bead as well.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try a smaller fixed blade for the homestead. My short butterfingers fumble too much with assisted folders using one hand. Going to give this one a try, unless I'm wrong good scales can be added later.

https://www.smkw.com/gerber-ghost-strike-fixed-blade

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
i like the blade shape of that Gerber. not a bad looking piece.

dozer

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dozer:
i like the blade shape of that Gerber. not a bad looking piece.

dozer

I like the length too, was about to spring for an Izula II then saw this one was about 3/4" longer. Your Riot Act knife, now there's a knife.

Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
rat2306,

I recently picked up an Izula. I highly recommend it. I wish I could EDC it instead of my Kershaw Blur.

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
i have a great customer in Italy who lives for karambit style knives. they are great little carry knives in the right hands. my favorite is this karambowie monster.

dozer

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
rat2306,

I recently picked up an Izula. I highly recommend it. I wish I could EDC it instead of my Kershaw Blur.

That's the kicker, state laws here aren't fixed blade concealed carry friendly. Folding pocket knives of 3" or less like my little Ontario are fine. The Ghost Strike will be a "coffee table" knife. May still get an Izula later, but the ESEE sirens' song is telling me to get a RAT 4 or 5 soon. Wondering if Para's taken a look at the Ghost Strike fixed?

ETA: Ka-bar's Forged Wrench would do the trick too, but haven't found one yet. Smile (correction; found the Ka-bar at Knife Center not 15 minutes after posting this and ordered one).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rat2306,

Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
It's all about the sheath. Seems Cold Steel has finally figured it out. The "securex" is nice until you yank on the handle and the whole thing, sheath and all comes out of your pants. You need the high wall past the hilt. I place my thumb on the sheath and press as I pull out that usually does the trick.

Since my state has a 3" fixed blade restriction I am looking at:

Morakniv Craftline Carpentry Chisel

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3810 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Gerber Ghost Strike fixed arrived yesterday, scary sharp right out of the box. It will sit quietly on my coffee table, until trouble knocks. As muddle_mann mentioned, it also has a sheath with a death grip; will keep in the sheath, not fully locked. Tempted to call it Casper. The Ka-bar Wrench may be back-ordered.

Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
how does everyone like to carry a fixed blade? i carry angled forward when around the shop and house and more up front and flat against the belt line when out and about.

dozer

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dozer:
how does everyone like to carry a fixed blade? i carry angled forward when around the shop and house and more up front and flat against the belt line when out and about.

dozer

For a defensive fixed blade, I carry to the left of my belt buckle, horizontal with a downward cant. I want my knife on my centerline so it can't get trapped if I'm on my back or side. Trying to draw upward if you are entangled is difficult.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread prompted me to get my own fixed defensive blade but I went with a very small blade/handle - Bastinelli Picoeur tactical scalpel. 1.5” blade.

Posts: 425 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xmod:
This thread prompted me to get my own fixed defensive blade but I went with a very small blade/handle - Bastinelli Picoeur tactical scalpel. 1.5” blade.

Picoeur is great , and so is the diagnostic. Tiny karambit like claw. Wicked sharp

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Going ESEE shopping Monday at Knife Center (an hour or so drive away), but I'm also thinking the Cold Steel SRK San Mai could easily find a place in my home.

https://www.coldsteel.com/srk-vg-10-san-mai-35an

ETA: Knife Center showroom is closed due to the life disrupter of 2020, which I learned after parking there. Ordered an ESEE 4 with gunsmoke finish plain edge, black G10 grips. Picked up another Ka-bar elsewhere this week.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rat2306,

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
My preferred fixed blade for EDC. A Bradford Guardian 3, with the horizontal sheath. An untucked t shirt covers it easily, but it's instantly accessible.

I really like that knife!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
Going ESEE shopping Monday at Knife Center (an hour or so drive away), but I'm also thinking the Cold Steel SRK San Mai could easily find a place in my home.

https://www.coldsteel.com/srk-vg-10-san-mai-35an

ETA: Knife Center showroom is closed due to the life disrupter of 2020, which I learned after parking there. Ordered an ESEE 4 with gunsmoke finish plain edge, black G10 grips. Picked up another Ka-bar elsewhere this week.

You're on a roll! Any pics? What is your favorite so far?

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:

You're on a roll! Any pics? What is your favorite so far?

No pics I've taken, just links to the knife. This is my ESEE, I'm digging it but would like the grip to be a bit more hand filling.
https://www.knifecenter.com/it...ck-sheath-clip-plate

Haven't grabbed the SRK as yet. Thus far for a fighting knife (should it be needed), I'm still on the Ka-bar train. Picked up a good Gerber Principle which should be a fine light duty woods knife, as well as a Prodigy. Impressed with both, especially at the prices given. Looking at the Kershaw Link (haven't seen one in the display cases yet, just Blurs and Leeks) as a folder; thus far my fave folder purchase is the little Ontario Joe Pardue Utilitac.

Will start looking at options for the ESEE; it marks an X in many of my need/want boxes. I'm thinking a leather sheath also for it.