SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need Charleston, SC info - late August - What was Charleston & SC like during lockdown??? Question on Pg 3
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Charleston, SC info - late August - What was Charleston & SC like during lockdown??? Question on Pg 3 Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions, we really appreciate it!!

Now just need to decide, stay on beach or in town and make some reservations!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Didn’t realize last week I’d be down here so soon. I have family here in Summerville. My Mom was just put in Hospice Care here. Such a wonderful lady who has suffered much in the last few yrs. The Covid rules with no visiting in NH took away all the outside stimulation and visits that kept her going.

After reading this post over the last week, two things I wanted to do. Lewis BBQ and Republic Ice Cream. Not sure if I’ll make it to aglifters store, sure would like to tho. I love good ice cream.
I asked my niece if she ever heard of Lewis BBQ. She laughed and said her husband works at a local magazine that is right next door to Lewis. So close they share a parking lot or something like that. He brings it home frequently. So tonight’s Lewis BBQ night. My oldest son is driving down from Nooga and will get to sample it also. I wish it was a more festive occasion.

Thank goodness for some of the new cheaper airlines. I flew from Akron Canton airport, an hr from my home East of Cleveland, straight thru to Charleston. 1.5 hr trip. If I hadn’t upgraded my seat my ticket would have been $100 each way. After fees. Can’t beat that. Breeze Airlines. Pretty impressed all things considered. I was worried about being stuck in middle seat. They don’t have middle seats. Two seats each row. But I like first row seats, quick on, quick off. May not worry about that now after having a good experience.

Thx for the tips guys. Sure wish I’d be here longer to get some of that ice cream.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sigfest, sorry you’re traveling in unfortunate terms.

If you’re able to, after Lewis’ head over to Reverly (very close). Go up to the top deck, enjoy a beer or two and take in the sunset.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
Palmetto State is in Summerville. Real close to Charleston.

No advice on Charleston, SC last time I was there was "79 on honeymoon.

However visited Summerville not quite so far back, while at Myrtle Beach. Summerville was nice.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Thank You to kranky and Big Whup for suggesting Lewis BBQ. It was excellent. Unfortunately I didn’t actually go to the restaurant. Like I posted earlier, my nieces husband works next door. He brought home sliced and chopped brisket, turkey, and some Mac and cheese. I could have made my self sick eating it, but since others wanted some, I behaved myself. It lived up to the hype.

MattW, didn’t I sell you a MS holster for a 239 a long time ago? Maybe when you were getting out of school. For some reason it jogged my memory. But it’s not that great anymore. Lol

Thank you all for the suggestions. Man, for a Northern guy who likes cool weather, it sure gets hot and humid here. I wish the visit was under better circumstances but since part of my family lives here, I’ll be back. Again, Thanks.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born and raised here in lowcountry and Charleston...lots of good things to do, see and experience depending on time and money. If you want traditional SC bbq then have to go to Bessingers on Hwy17 just south of downtown...they are first family of bbq in SC and the mustard based sauce is unique. Their pulled pork (Big Joe Basket) is a mainstay along with so far is one of a kind in region onion ring...a huge vidalia battered up with a cake batter and deep fried. When dating my wife in 80s she would eat that for dessert. For Seafood Fleet Landing or Shem Creek area...there is great fishing, great beaches and some are less crowded than others. If want solitude or low crowds..>Edisto Beach...more shells, shark teeth, etc. Folly has a park to help with parking and there is another park down at Kiawah....just depends. If got time take a horse carriage tour to learn about city....take the Ft Sumter boat trip and tour...and maybe visit Boone Hall or one of the plantations in West Ashley (Middleton or Magnolia). Best steak...Halls Chop House. Great breweries, good distilleries, outstanding food...great beaches. If you want to talk just let me know and can give you 411....that will keep you out of most of the tourist traps as lots of great places that are not always marketed as highly as some downtown. LOL

Posts: 64 | Registered: July 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Now that we have reservations and plans for late August I am seeing all kinds of rumors/leaked info from CDC that they are planning on issuing a lockdown order possibly in the 2nd week of August.

We have one date change available on our reservations and can wait until a day or 2 before to execute the date change.

If a lockdown order is issued will SC comply? Will all the restaurants and venues shut down in Charleston?

I know no one can predict the future, but just looking at best guesses based on what Charleston and SC did before.

Ugh.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
The city of Charleston is woke...so they will do whatever CNN recommends.

Posts: 1967 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats Bama and Coffeeaddict on your anniversary. Smile

Hope you have a great trip.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfan Roy:
Congrats Bama and Coffeeaddict on your anniversary. Smile

Hope you have a great trip.

Thank you sir, I am hoping we don't have to reschedule!

- John Adams