SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need Charleston, SC info - late August - What was Charleston & SC like during lockdown??? Question on Pg 3
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Charleston, SC info - late August - What was Charleston & SC like during lockdown??? Question on Pg 3 Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Title says it all. Planning on being in Charleston in late August and need any inside info on places to stay, things to do and/or not miss...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BamaJeepster,

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Can't miss Bessingers

https://www.bessingersbbq.com/

I brought home a gallon of their mustard sauce.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
What do you like to eat?

FIG is one of the best restaurants around.

La Patissere has the best pastries I’ve seen outside of Europe.

My ice cream shop, Republic Ice Cream

Halls chop house

Rodney Scott’s BBQ, if Rodney is in town.
Grace + Grit for shrimp and grits
Red Orchid
5 loaves

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Take pictures of the base of General Lee's statue, then do the same of the base of General Jackson's statue, because both statues are being removed now, but they are leaving the statues bases till they can figure out what to do with them. Roll Eyes

https://www.counton2.com/news/...-monuments-saturday/

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
What do you like to eat?

Halls chop house

Red Orchid
5 loaves

Love all kinds of food, when near the coast I always lean toward seafood and always try to find the best shrimp and grits, so thanks for all the recs!

Will try to get some ice cream while we are there as well.

Any tips on places to stay for 4 or 5 nights?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Which Charleston? Wink

Okay, I obviously missed the "SC" in the thread's title.

To the OP,

If you're there on a Sunday (?), do Farmers Market (by King's Square?)

Also the Ashley House for dinner.. it tours of the Citadel still exist, take one (American military history 101)

Bessinger's. And get some Piggy Pork sauce.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LS1 GTO,

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
Patriot's Point Naval Museum is very cool. You can tour the Yorktown (be prepared for lots of steps). The aviation portion of the museum is on the flight deck. The tour boat for Ft. Sumter also leaves from Patriot's Point. As to restaurants, We love FIG, Husk, and Obstinate Daughter. There are almost too many good BBQ places to list, but for a place that is unique (and not expensive), Jack's Cosmic Dogs in Mt. Pleasant. Most interesting hot dog shop I have ever seen. Try a "Cosmic Dog -- blue cheese slaw with sweet potato mustard. You can wash it down with a grape Nehi, Kool-aid or Tang!

Posts: 655 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Not a whole lot to do in Charleston. We have some decent restaurants, and the Power is playing. But this time of year, most of the fun stuff going on is in Fayetteville, about an hour southeast of here.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My wife and I went there several years ago.
Very hot and humid this time of year so dress accordingly.
tartan427 covered the tourist places we went, patriots Point, Yorktown and I'd add the CSS Hunley Confederate submarine exhibit.
For food we were mostly interested in seafood and there are so many good places that none stood out. I don't think we had anything but excellent seafood everywhere we went.
Downtown Charleston was very nice too but just be sure to stay away from some of the higher crime areas. You can get out of the car and walk around all day but get the lowdown from the locals.

Posts: 9505 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MoreCowbell
posted Hide Post
I went a couple of years ago I stayed at the Hampton inn across from the visitors center. I could pretty much walk to a lot of areas from the hotel.

Posts: 117 | Registered: January 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're into heat and humidity, you're coming at the perfect time of year!

Would start looking and booking reservations as soon as you can. Things fill up fast here in middle of the summer. Isle of Palms (IOP) isn't a bad place to stay, plenty of options out there. Sullivan's Island is more low key, not a lot of short term (if any) rental options there. Folly Beach, while pretty neat, is packed and a disaster to try and get on and off the island as there's only 1 road. Downtown Charleston has a lot of options and plenty of good places to eat and site see within walking distance. Sticker shock can set in pretty fast with some of the room rates downtown though. West Ashley is a little further out, not a bad area per say, but there's not a lot of stuff to see there. I live in Mt Pleasant, plenty of normal hotels here just across the bridge from downtown, 5-15 minute drive downtown depending on where you're going.

All the restaurants listed so far are solid options. I'll throw in Lewis BBQ and Poe's off the top of my head.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the Mills House. Great location wonderful ambience.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
What do you like to eat?

Halls chop house

Red Orchid
5 loaves

Love all kinds of food, when near the coast I always lean toward seafood and always try to find the best shrimp and grits, so thanks for all the recs!

Will try to get some ice cream while we are there as well.

Any tips on places to stay for 4 or 5 nights?

http://acmelowcountrykitchen.com/menus/

Their shrimp and grits is good, but the fried goda grits app is different and wonderful. My favorite place to eat in IOP, which IIRC is where aglifters ice cream shop is as well.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have always stayed at Wild Dunes on Isle of Palms. There are a number of options ranging from hotel rooms to condos.

Posts: 991 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
This place is awesome. I just grabbed a random listing, all the condos are different, but the one we stayed in was awesome. 100% chance I will stay there again.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Got my big girl
breeches on!
Picture of coffeeaddict
posted Hide Post
I have finally, after 12 years of marriage, convinced Bama to go somewhere for our anniversary! Big Grin

http://dressageonthequarter.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1926 | Location: TN | Registered: December 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Palmetto State is in Summerville. Real close to Charleston.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
We usually stay on Daniel Island we when we go down to Chuck-town. It’s just far enough out to be quiet, but close enough to drive to whatever you want to go see or do.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Halls Chop House has a fantastic steak

The horse carriage rides were neat

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Go to the Planter's Inn and have the coconut cake.

You're welcome.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post