SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need Charleston, SC info - late August - What was Charleston & SC like during lockdown??? Question on Pg 3
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Charleston, SC info - late August - What was Charleston & SC like during lockdown??? Question on Pg 3 Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coffeeaddict:
I have finally, after 12 years of marriage, convinced Bama to go somewhere for our anniversary! Big Grin

Well done.

Look up boneyard beach. There are two. One that tourists go to and one you have to time the tide and be willing to hike a short while to get to. The later is insanely beautiful at sunrise, but timing sunrise to tides is hard. You need to visit at low tide and sunrise to get best pics/experience.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tejas421:
We have always stayed at Wild Dunes on Isle of Palms. There are a number of options ranging from hotel rooms to condos.

+1. I am at IOP Wild Dunes as I type this. Great accommodations and food to be had.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1930 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The highlight of our trip was Boone Hall Plantation, specifically the Gullah presentation. Many of the original slave cabins are still there and the mother of the woman who gave the presentation was born in one of them. It was not about the evils of slavery or the harshness of their lives, it was about the very unique culture that developed among coastal Carolina and Georgia slaves, any aspects of which still continue today. It was fascinating and delivered by an incredibly gracious woman. I was glad I saw it and, remarkably, my middle school-aged kids were too.

Posts: 994 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
If you're into heat and humidity, you're coming at the perfect time of year!

Would start looking and booking reservations as soon as you can. Things fill up fast here in middle of the summer. Isle of Palms (IOP) isn't a bad place to stay, plenty of options out there. Sullivan's Island is more low key, not a lot of short term (if any) rental options there. Folly Beach, while pretty neat, is packed and a disaster to try and get on and off the island as there's only 1 road. Downtown Charleston has a lot of options and plenty of good places to eat and site see within walking distance. Sticker shock can set in pretty fast with some of the room rates downtown though. West Ashley is a little further out, not a bad area per say, but there's not a lot of stuff to see there. I live in Mt Pleasant, plenty of normal hotels here just across the bridge from downtown, 5-15 minute drive downtown depending on where you're going.

All the restaurants listed so far are solid options. I'll throw in Lewis BBQ and Poe's off the top of my head.

Great post! Definitely look ahead when dining almost anywhere now, especially Fri-Sun.

Example; I’m in the local area, and wanted to reserve a table at Hall’s. They were booked full for 2 weeks, except with a couple of openings at 10:30.

Also; While visiting,do yourself a favor, and please don’t refer to Charleston as “Chucktown”.
You’ll sound like a rube.
Like being in San Francisco and calling it “Frisco”.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I have a shop downtown abd another on Sullivan’s. Planter’s also has great foie gras

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Ft. Sumter and Sullivan's Island are great. The old part of town near the battery is fascinating. Sumter is fascinating because Rev. Henry Ward Beecher went there rededicate the Fort on April 14, 1865. He went there at the request of President Lincoln because Abe had promised Mary to take her to Ford's Theater that night.

Beecher was the brother of Harriet Beecher Stowe and was once the most famous man in America.

Major Anderson's family donated the original battle flag to the Sumter Museum.

Sumter Flag

A local Charleston favorite.

Grits are Good for You!

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Seems like I remember going to Charleston in late August back in 1975.... it was hot... My father was dropping me off.. I still remember the smell of the asphalt plant as we drove in.....
Everyone was oh so nice and cordial... until he walked out of the battalion gate.... then all hell broke loose... I guess I will never forget my first day at The Citadel.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Ft. Sumter tour/boat ride was outstanding. They also have a very good aquarium, if you're into natural history.

We stayed downtown at the Doubletree on Church Street, which was very nice, and a perfect location for walking around. Next to the City Market and walking distance to many excellent restaurants and to the places to pick up the horse-drawn buggy tours of the historical district, which we enjoyed doing.

It's been a while since we went, this has me thinking about a longer trip there in the near future. Smile

Posts: 15023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:

Grits are Good for You!

There's better around without the tourist wait. Aglifter nailed it with Grace & Grit here in Mt Pleasant. Their place is actually 2 in 1. A small portion is called the Grit Counter and is a lunch time place. The larger portion of the building is their dining for brunch and dinner. None of their food is bad, their Southern Fried Chicken is perhaps the best I've ran across.

If you want to get up early and take a nap by 9AM, stop into the Vicious Biscuit and get a plate of food that will have you questioning your decision all while thinking about ordering more.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I've been a couple times , both over 10 yrs ago,

first time was for the Hunley's Crew Funeral,

(an amazing thing to see)

we stayed in Mt Pleasant, and drove over each day and walked around Old Town,
did the Hunley tour, Ft Moultrie, Sumpter, Patriots Point,

food wise, Jestines was good, Poogan's Porch was great, Hyman's not so much (touristy),
some place over on the Mt Pleasant side that looked like a dump, called the Wreck of the Richard and Charlene ( or similar) was very good

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
What do you like to eat?

FIG is one of the best restaurants around.

La Patissere has the best pastries I’ve seen outside of Europe.

My ice cream shop, Republic Ice Cream

Halls chop house

Rodney Scott’s BBQ, if Rodney is in town.
Grace + Grit for shrimp and grits
Red Orchid
5 loaves

Would add Lewis BBQ, especially on Sunday.

--K

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
FINALLY! A mention of the best BBQ restaurant in the state.

The owner was an original founding partner of Franklin BBQ near Austin, TX. Came here thankfully, as I miss Texas BBQ. Ate there yesterday as a matter of fact.

They also have onsite Juan Luis Mexican food truck, which offers breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is New Mexico style Mexican food, not Tex Mex, unfortunately, but still very good.

https://lewisbarbecue.com

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Jestine's shut down w. Covid. There are better options than Hymans.

167 Raw is excellent, if you can get in. Amen St. is good food, and usually has tables.

+1 for Vicious Biscuit.

Hell, for the GF waffles and Coffee at Second State Coffee in West Ashley.

Tricera Coffee on George St will make some basics, and has great coffee - owned by good people. Breizh Pan Crepes on George St is excellent, but just serves crepes.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CHURCH STREET INN. It's right on meeting street in the heart of it all right across the street from the slave market. It's a hotel, but the rooms are set up like a townhouse and each room is 2 floors......1st floor is a full kitchen, 1/2 bath, living room, and 2nd floor is a large bedroom/bathroom.. or can get 2 bedroom/2 bathroom ones I believe.......and half have a balcony overlooking meeting street. Once we parked our car, we never drove again until we left Charleston.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Ho..._South_Carolina.html

I'm in and out of Charleston A LOT, but it was one of my stops on my honeymoon towards the end of last year. The horse and carriage ride was the highlight of the entire trip for the history. The water taxi to Patriot's point is nice. The aircraft carrier, the fort, and just walking around downtown and looking at all of the art galleries, stores, and history. Hall's chophouse (steaks) and Hanks seafood are both to die for as far as restaurants go. SNOB is pretty good too. Kominskies for desserts.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
King’s Leaf, if you smoke cigars.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:

I had a Creole catfish with rice dish there back in 2014 that was easily one of the top 20 things I’ve ever eaten.

Posts: 33770 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Well forget the Hominy Grill, just found out that closed for good in 2019, sounds like the chef/owner was burnt out having run it since 1996 Frown

Posts: 33770 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
If you can make it to Sullivan's Island, I much prefer Ft Moultrie to Ft Sumter. Sumter's small. It has essentially just 2 historical eras, the CW and WW2. The WW2 era did a big, generic 1930s nuke-and-pave on a good portion of the east side of the ruin. Ft Sumter involves a boat ride with other passengers who can make or break your trip.

Ft Moultrie has more eras for the historically-inclined. It is in general, a more peaceful and larger property to walk through at your leisure. You drive there. You don't have to catch the next boat off with the same people that made you wish the tour boat had been torpedoed by a U-Boat on the way there. Mad

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Page's Okra Grill in Mt Pleasant is a favorite of ours. They have a great breakfast.

Fleet Landing on the waterfront was good when I went there, it's been a while though.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bourbon goes in and
Knowledge comes out
Picture of majik61
posted Hide Post
I agree on Page's Okra Grill. For some of the best BBQ you will ever have. Rodney Scott's in Charleston is a must.

----------------------------------Why worry and hurry through life? You can't come out of it alive.

Posts: 186 | Location: Florence SC | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post