SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
no sugar, no seed oils - Primal Kitchen bbq.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I really want to try beef short ribs. I have done bone in standing rib roasts but not short ribs.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Xantom,

What smoker temp, cooked temp, and rub did you use to get that awesome bark? Thank you.

Posts: 848 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
You guys do realize the definition of BBQ doesn't include smokers, right? Smile

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/barbecue

transitive verb

1: to roast or broil on a rack or revolving spit over or before a source of heat (such as hot coals)
2: to cook in a highly seasoned vinegar sauce

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L90814:
Xantom,

What smoker temp, cooked temp, and rub did you use to get that awesome bark? Thank you.

In short I cooked them at an average temp of ~250 in the smoker. I wrapped them in foil at 160 and 168. I used a half a bottle of "Raiden Maiden" beer for each butt. I finished them in my oven at 325, and pulled them at 201 and 206.

Rub was a coating of coarse salt first and then my own concoction:
5/8 - Kosher Salt/Coarse Black Pepper
1/4 - Paprika/Garlic Powder
1/8 - Chilli Powder/Smoke House Blend
In this iteration I used a rub off my shelf called "Smoked House Blend". I made this up a while ago so I really have no idea what that was Big Grin

I cooked these in my Pit Barrel Cooker. I started at 6am and temp was about -15. It sucked down almost a whole coal basket in 5 hours. I ended up having to add a couple handfuls of coals and a small block of Pecan to finish it off.

This was about an hour in, temp was reading ~240:

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Thank you very much!!!

Posts: 848 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been watching this thread from the beginning and thanks to all who contributed.
I lost both of my Big Green Eggs (XL & M) when the Derecho hit us last year. The Cat 5 hurricane force winds swirled around the corner of my house and tipped over the somewhat top heavy tables the Eggs were in. To no surprise they shattered on impact. To shorten the story, for several reasons, I chose to not replace the Eggs and get something that requires a bit less attention from this Old Fart.
I got a great deal on a US made Memphis Elite pellet grill that a local dealer had on the showroom floor. Have only cooked on it a couple of times outside my garage due to deck being rebuilt and other house repair projects going on. Until such time it is sitting in my garage. Really looking forward to getting past this construction phase and being able to cook again. I am so envious of your cooks!

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I have a 12 pound brisket and this will be on my Yoder.

Do have to wrap the brisket? We are iced in and I do not have any butcher/peach paper.

I was planning on just kosher salt and pepper, smoking at 225-250, starting the smoke at midnight tonight.

Any advice or alternative recipes are welcome. I’m a brisket newb.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
I have a 12 pound brisket and this will be on my Yoder.

Do have to wrap the brisket? We are iced in and I do not have any butcher/peach paper.

I was planning on just kosher salt and pepper, smoking at 225-250, starting the smoke at midnight tonight.

Jeff, it really depends on how much you enjoy an incredible bark vs. slightly less moisture in the brisket. I always ran mine through the stall until recently, when I finally acquired some peach paper to crutch. I hated the Texas crutch with aluminum foil. I never had complaints either way.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
You guys do realize the definition of BBQ doesn't include smokers, right? Smile

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/barbecue

transitive verb

1: to roast or broil on a rack or revolving spit over or before a source of heat (such as hot coals)
2: to cook in a highly seasoned vinegar sauce

Noah Webster has been dead for 175 years. A lot has changed. Big Grin Plus, he was a Yankee and what do Yankees know about BBQ?

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd use the crutch(foil) method until you get a handle on how your smoker cooks brisket. Assuming you follow standard brisket cooking methods you will get a very good tasting brisket, minus the bark. Once you get that down, move on to butcher paper. I only use coarse salt and pepper on brisket. Start with that for this cook, and then add things to see how it affects the taste on your next brisket. Just my .02

Please post pictures!

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I have developed a hybrid method for both briskets and pork butts that I really like. For briskets I smoke on the grates until internal temp reaches 165 or so. That is where most of the fat and collagen start to really break down.

Once I hear the fat drippings start to sizzle from hitting the bottom of the hot smoker I know it's time to pan it. I hate wasting those tasty juices. I put it in a foil pan. I then pour some dark beer in the bottom of the pan and put it back on the smoker. Uncovered, do not cover the pan or wrap the brisket. This allows the brisket to continue to form a nice bark and it will cook faster. It's not really braising it either but you are creating steam around that brisket to keep thing moist. Because it's not covered you may need to add more beer or beef stock as you go along. The Au Jus you get from those meat juices mingling with the beer is off the hook!

Then I continue to monitor the internal temp until I get to at least the 200 mark. If you feel resistance of you're temp probe going into the meat at that time you may want to go a bit longer. Because of my resting technique I generally do not go much higher than that. Once I hit the temp I'm looking for I pull it off the smoker and cover it with foil and it goes right into a insulated food keeper or better known as a Cambro. The internal temp will continue to rise 8 to 10 degrees or more while resting.

There it will rest sometimes overnight. The longer you can let this meat rest the better. Because the Cambro is so well insulated and seals so tight I have rested briskets for 14 hours and they were still around 140 internal temp. Once rested it's time to slice.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8527 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Great info, man that looks good!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
Great info, man that looks good!

Thanks! I developed this technique because the first few times I made brisket I wrapped in foil. It just seemed to me by wrapping it you are basically braising it and it was hard to tell the difference between my smoked briskets and the wife's pot roast she made in her electric fry pan in the house.

But I could not stand to lose those juices. When I do pork butts like this I might have a 1/4" to 1/2" of juice in the bottom of the pan after a long rest. I pull it in the same pan. When I'm done pulling all that juice will be absorbed back into that pulled pork. I've never had dry pulled pork even after freezing and reheating.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been wrapping with pink butcher paper with good results. Hold some heat but allows moisture to pass so bark stays crunchy

Posts: 194 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Awesome, thank you all.

Lastmanstanding, I'm going to to it your way,looks fantastic. What temp and in your experience how long does it take to get to 200?

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Hey LastMan, check your email.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My second attempt at pork butt sitting while I fire up the smoker:

My first attempt, I did two 4lbs each and while they turned out great, I think I went overboard with the rub. Plus, I think there was too much paprika.

This time, I used less rub and I’m using Skins’ recipe. It’s 10lbs and I’ll put it on about 10pm.

Update: 5:00am. It’s 160, so it’s stalled just like the first ones I did. I started it last night, as the first ones were not done anywhere near the planned time. This one will be done early, but I have a cooler at the ready to hold it until we are ready to eat.

Update: 7:45am. Just got back from taking my son to weight room and dropping him off at swim. Thermometer says 164, so definitely in the stall. I added more charcoal. I didn’t take a 5am picture because it was dark out and I needed to get my son to weight room. The butt’s color at that time was not much different than the first photo, so progress is being made.

Update: 11:00am. Hit 195 and it's in the cooler. Looks like picture above, but the meat has shrunk and looks like it's pulling away from the bone with 3/4 of an inch or so of the bone showing.

Final update: My second attempt at pork butt was an improvement over my first. It was the right amount of rub and Skins' rub hit the right proportions of spices.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Awesome, thank you all.

Lastmanstanding, I'm going to to it your way,looks fantastic. What temp and in your experience how long does it take to get to 200?

I run at about 275 for brisket. Depending on the type and size of brisket the time can vary greatly. I have done 12 to 14lb. choice briskets that take 12 hours or more. I have done prime or wagyu briskets the same size that take 10 hours or even less. As they saying goes in BBQ it's done when it's done.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:
Awesome, thank you all.

I run at about 275 for brisket. Depending on the type and size of brisket the time can vary greatly. I have done 12 to 14lb. choice briskets that take 12 hours or more. I have done prime or wagyu briskets the same size that take 10 hours or even less. As they saying goes in BBQ it's done when it's done.

Thank you.