SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
I did not trim the fat cap it was maybe 3/8" at the thickest parts. But I did score it so some of the rub would penetrate into the meat. I don't worry too much about the fat cap on pork butts typically. Do you usually trim that down or off?

when smoking butts for pulled pork I don't trim them but I know a lot of folks do. I figure it's a long enough cook the fat will render off. For that same reason I have learned not too long ago not to apply a lot of rub to raw pork butts before putting on the smoker. It cooks away with the fat so I use very little if any rub at all anymore. Maybe some salt and pepper.

I use the rub after the butts are done. I apply it after it's pulled. Good rubs are not cheap to buy or make by applying it after it's pulled you get the full benefit of it.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8522 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pork Butts today!

It's -20F here this morning and I'm guessing it's a bit colder where you are. I'm a wus - too freaking cold for me to be messing around outside with the smoker...

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Yeah that makes sense, I will try that next time Last man.

It's about that here today. I love the cold weather!

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1730 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
BBQ is my hobby and I cook multiple times a week. My cooks are done on...

Yoder YS640s Pellet Smoker/Grill with Lumberjack pellets
Kamado Joe Classic III with B&B Lump
Blackstone Griddle (non BBQ)

My wife always gave me gruff for the money I spent on my hobbies but she doesn't seem to mind this one.

Do you have a chicken wing recipe for the Yoder that you wouldn’t mind sharing?

Hi Jeff. I actually have not cooked wings on the Yoder. I always use the air fryer for wings. I'm going to have to try wings on the yoder.
I have a BGE, but this would work on a pellet grill too.

Prep:
  • I smoke at 325 since it's the optimal temperature to crisp up the skin.
  • I use an appropriate wood for poultry (e.g. cherry or pecan).
  • I apply a good poultry rub or use Weber's Beer Can Chicken Seasoning. I don't make/use a spicy rub since I'm tossing in a wing sauce late in the smoking process.
  • I keep the skin on and the wings whole (trip, drum, and flat) so that the skin seals in juices.
  • Either make a wing sauce or have a bottle of store bought sauce handy (I like HEB's medium).

Smoking:
  • Put the wings on the grate. Doesn't matter which side is up.
  • At the 30 minute mark, flip
  • At the 50 minute mark, toss in your favorite wing sauce and return to grate.
  • At the 60 minute mark, check temp to insure safe cooking temp. I like 175 to 180 for wings. They're a little fatty so it doesn't get dried out and it's a better texture than 165.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    My dog crosses the line
    Picture of Jeff Yarchin
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks!

Posts: 12916 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    McNoob
    Picture of xantom
    posted Hide Post
    Oh man that looks good!

Just pulled mine, wrapped and put in the oven to finish. I went through a whole coal basket, and I had to add a couple handfuls of coal and a big piece of Pecan to finish it off to 160.

Posts: 1730 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    ^^ Looking good. Nice touch with the Raidin' Maiden in the background. Wink

Posts: 8522 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    McNoob
    Picture of xantom
    posted Hide Post
    Sorry Raiden maiden? The beer? Big Grin

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Sorry Raiden maiden? The beer? Big Grin

Yep that's what they call Leinenkugels in Wisconsin where it's brewed. Raiden' Maiden because of the Indian Maiden pictured on every bottle and can.

McNoob
    Picture of xantom
    posted Hide Post
    Ah I did not know that!

McNoob
    Picture of xantom
    posted Hide Post
    The pork butts turned out excellent. I filled the bottom of a crock pot with onions, peppers, and 2 jalapenos. The pork didn't need any sauce but I do like a smear of Stubbs on a pork sandwich.

posted Hide Post
    That looks extremely tasty nice job! I have made my own finishing sauce before but then I found Blues Hog Tennessee Red Sauce. It is made for pulled pork sammies. Probably have to order directly from them on the web I've never seen it in stores.

Tennessee Red Sauce Their regular sauce is excellent as well. I buy by the half gallons. Never tried their rubs but I'm sure they are equally good.

McNoob
    Picture of xantom
    posted Hide Post
    Amazon actually carries it. I ordered a jar Cool

Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    My first attempt at doing brisket burnt ends came out well, they were gobbled up last night at my in-law’s annual Super Bowl party:

This was done on a regular old Weber 22” kettle, using the charcoal snake method. I just had to use 3x the amount of briquettes in the snake compared to the summertime due to it being low 30’s and windy on Saturday.

Posts: 33749 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Alienator
    Picture of SIG4EVA
    posted Hide Post
    Excellent posts gentlemen! My mouth is watering, going to have to smoke something soon.

SIG556 Classic
    P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
    SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
    P938 SAS
    P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7069 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Those burnt ends look delicious!! I have never tried to make them, but I think I really have to give them a try.

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    My dog crosses the line
    Picture of Jeff Yarchin
    posted Hide Post
    My friend the butcher sent me a note, he has Dino Ribs coming in this week.

Has anyone made these on a pellet smoker?

posted Hide Post
    quote:

Don't have a pellet pooper but I've done them on my stick burner a number of times. You sir are in for a treat!

Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Beef ribs?

I think if you treat them like brisket; ie: low and slow at 225-250 you can’t go wrong. I think they’ll cook quicker than a whole brisket though, like 7-8 hours instead of 12-18 hours.

I had them served to me, slices off the bone at Fogo De Chao a few years ago and they were delectable.

Posts: 33749 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    My dog crosses the line
    Picture of Jeff Yarchin
    posted Hide Post
    Yes, Beef short rib plate.

Thanks PASig.