SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Reminder for homeowners: Keep a spare AC capacitor on hand
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Reminder for homeowners: Keep a spare AC capacitor on hand Login/Join 
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
I have a guy coming by tomorrow morning, will probably just replace my AC capacitor.


******************************************************************************
Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .



 
Posts: 7815 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Spare capacitors and motor contactors for both indoor and outdoor units and a spare condensate pump. If your disconnects use fuses get those also.


“That’s what.” - She
 
Posts: 648 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

I used a Cap discharger.
What's that?



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 33801 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^
A 5K ohm resistor?



Serious about crackers.
 
Posts: 11791 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post


560 ohm




"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" ✡ Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא עוד
 
Posts: 46609 | Location: Box 1663 Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
This was a good reminder for me and so I went and bought a spare. And a reminder for those with a central a/c unit to bleach the condensate drain line once a month in the summer. When it clogs up with mold it is a little too late.



"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock
"If there's one thing this last week has taught me, it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it." Clarence Worley
 
Posts: 9858 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I pour a couple cups of white vinegar down mine twice a year - late spring and late summer/early fall - and have never had an issue with buildup.

And this is in the humid South.
 
Posts: 35511 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
This was a good reminder for me and so I went and bought a spare. And a reminder for those with a central a/c unit to bleach the condensate drain line once a month in the summer. When it clogs up with mold it is a little too late.


Use white vinegar instead of bleach. The fumes from bleach can corrode the coils.

I also bought an adapter that steps my shop vac hose down to the size of my AC drain pipe in case it ever does clog up. I've used it on my neighbor’s drain once and it pulled a 1/2 gal of sludge out of the drain.



“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

 
Posts: 4538 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder - I had bought both spare capacitors a year ago and a contactor last week. It's been well over 100 all week here in DFW and the A/C guys are working 24 hrs a day. Tonight at 930PM, my bride of 42 years said she thought the house was "feeling warmer". I checked and the compressor was humming, but the fan wasn't turning. Took 15 minutes to change the caps out and when power was restored, all was right in the world. I am a hero to the One that matters and will be replacing my spares tomorrow. Saved several $100 and the hassle of the wait. Life is good
 
Posts: 199 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:

Use white vinegar instead of bleach. The fumes from bleach can corrode the coils.
Standard white vinegar is 5% acetic acid. I use "cleaning vinegar" -- 30% acetic acid. My air conditioning guy approves.



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 33801 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
This was a good reminder for me and so I went and bought a spare. And a reminder for those with a central a/c unit to bleach the condensate drain line once a month in the summer. When it clogs up with mold it is a little too late.


Use white vinegar instead of bleach. The fumes from bleach can corrode the coils.

I pour a cup of bleach into the actual drain line and it gets washed down by the condensate . I've been doing this for decades. There are no corrosive fumes.
 
Posts: 5098 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
May also want to snag a spare cap for your refrigerators too. Ask me how I know...
 
Posts: 3765 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Reminder for homeowners: Keep a spare AC capacitor on hand

© SIGforum 2026