SIGforum
Reminder for homeowners: Keep a spare AC capacitor on hand

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3570047125

August 16, 2026, 05:22 PM
Butch 2340
Reminder for homeowners: Keep a spare AC capacitor on hand
I have a guy coming by tomorrow morning, will probably just replace my AC capacitor.


******************************************************************************
Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .



August 16, 2026, 06:26 PM
jed7s9b
Spare capacitors and motor contactors for both indoor and outdoor units and a spare condensate pump. If your disconnects use fuses get those also.


“That’s what.” - She
August 16, 2026, 07:00 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

I used a Cap discharger.
What's that?



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
August 16, 2026, 08:11 PM
Pipe Smoker
^^^^
A 5K ohm resistor?



Serious about crackers.
August 16, 2026, 08:35 PM
sigmonkey


560 ohm




"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" ✡ Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא עוד
August 16, 2026, 10:07 PM
hberttmank
This was a good reminder for me and so I went and bought a spare. And a reminder for those with a central a/c unit to bleach the condensate drain line once a month in the summer. When it clogs up with mold it is a little too late.



"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock
"If there's one thing this last week has taught me, it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it." Clarence Worley
August 17, 2026, 07:25 AM
RogueJSK
I pour a couple cups of white vinegar down mine twice a year - late spring and late summer/early fall - and have never had an issue with buildup.

And this is in the humid South.
August 17, 2026, 07:40 AM
SpinZone
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
This was a good reminder for me and so I went and bought a spare. And a reminder for those with a central a/c unit to bleach the condensate drain line once a month in the summer. When it clogs up with mold it is a little too late.


Use white vinegar instead of bleach. The fumes from bleach can corrode the coils.

I also bought an adapter that steps my shop vac hose down to the size of my AC drain pipe in case it ever does clog up. I've used it on my neighbor’s drain once and it pulled a 1/2 gal of sludge out of the drain.



“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

August 24, 2026, 12:17 AM
gt2022
Thanks for the reminder - I had bought both spare capacitors a year ago and a contactor last week. It's been well over 100 all week here in DFW and the A/C guys are working 24 hrs a day. Tonight at 930PM, my bride of 42 years said she thought the house was "feeling warmer". I checked and the compressor was humming, but the fan wasn't turning. Took 15 minutes to change the caps out and when power was restored, all was right in the world. I am a hero to the One that matters and will be replacing my spares tomorrow. Saved several $100 and the hassle of the wait. Life is good
August 24, 2026, 08:24 AM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:

Use white vinegar instead of bleach. The fumes from bleach can corrode the coils.
Standard white vinegar is 5% acetic acid. I use "cleaning vinegar" -- 30% acetic acid. My air conditioning guy approves.



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
August 24, 2026, 08:37 AM
selogic
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
This was a good reminder for me and so I went and bought a spare. And a reminder for those with a central a/c unit to bleach the condensate drain line once a month in the summer. When it clogs up with mold it is a little too late.


Use white vinegar instead of bleach. The fumes from bleach can corrode the coils.

I pour a cup of bleach into the actual drain line and it gets washed down by the condensate . I've been doing this for decades. There are no corrosive fumes.
August 24, 2026, 11:32 AM
petr
May also want to snag a spare cap for your refrigerators too. Ask me how I know...