SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Reminder for homeowners: Keep a spare AC capacitor on hand
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Reminder for homeowners: Keep a spare AC capacitor on hand Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
Great information and how-to. This thread is much appreciated. Thanks!




 
Posts: 5299 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Figured a video couldn't hurt too, Rouges instructions are spot on....



and installing an EZStart Capacitor vs a standard one, which helps with running AC on a generator when the power is out. The video is blocked from being embedded elsewhere, but you can click in the box and it will come up

 
Posts: 28567 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
Wow, thank you, RogueJSK! I am going to try this.

I have a question, and I hope you don't mind. Our unit is about 15 years old. This past spring, our AC stopped cooling effectively and we called our AC people. They said there is a small freon leak, and they put in about 3 lbs of freon.

I went ahead and had them price another unit with the assumption that this unit was going to die, and/or the freon leak would become worse, and I would have to replace it before the summer is over. After I saw the pricing, and my epileptic seizure was over, I thanked them for their help and saw them to the door.

As of today, and I hope I don't jinx myself, I am shocked to say that the unit is running and cooling well.

If/when the leak shows up again, and the unit is otherwise running well, is there a "stop leak" product that can be injected into the AC with the freon to help prevent further leaks?



.


Leak stop products are available if you search. I don't know how well they work, but they are available. Make sure what you buy is compatible with the refrigerant you have.




SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
 
Posts: 42140 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
+1 on the AmRad or Mars caps. If you don’t know your size or you want to be a benefit to the neighborhood, get a AmRad Turbo 200 and a Turbo 200x that can be configured to the application. It’s a great way to get up and running immediately. Don’t forget to stock one for the air handler as well as one for the condenser.

Note, if you have a variable speed system, you have a DC inverter that doesn’t use a capacitor. If it quits working, you need a checkbook and a large balance.



Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus
 
Posts: 8318 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
Wow, thank you, RogueJSK! I am going to try this.

I have a question, and I hope you don't mind. Our unit is about 15 years old. This past spring, our AC stopped cooling effectively and we called our AC people. They said there is a small freon leak, and they put in about 3 lbs of freon.

I went ahead and had them price another unit with the assumption that this unit was going to die, and/or the freon leak would become worse, and I would have to replace it before the summer is over. After I saw the pricing, and my epileptic seizure was over, I thanked them for their help and saw them to the door.

As of today, and I hope I don't jinx myself, I am shocked to say that the unit is running and cooling well.

If/when the leak shows up again, and the unit is otherwise running well, is there a "stop leak" product that can be injected into the AC with the freon to help prevent further leaks?.


Yes: https://www.amazon.com/Leak-Di...MLS?tag=ustxtadsp-20

I used it on my (now 26yo) R22 system couple years ago and it’s still going strong, with the caveat that I have had to top it off with Freon once a year. But I found a place online where I can buy it without a license so it saves me quite a bit of money. If you don’t have manifold gauges and Freon then you’ll need their CO2 kit to push the sealant into the system. They also make a version now that has UV dye and moisture remover, but if you’re only trying to buy another couple years before replacing that probably wouldn’t be of much help.

Did they find the leak, and if so why weren’t they able to fix it? Unless you’re paying out the wazoo for electricity upgrading to a new more efficient system will have a break even point way into the future. As long as it keeps working with adding a little refrigerant every so often might as well ride it out.



Mongo only pawn in game of life...
 
Posts: 750 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you Rogue - I will do this tomorrow and get a US made unit on order. We have 100F temps on the way later this week.
 
Posts: 3648 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Good thread! I had planned on doing this earlier but got distracted. I will get on it.



.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.
 
Posts: 5576 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
My ~5 year old Amana AC unit stopped working in early July, and it turned out to be the capacitor.

The technician that came out said that for some reason they only last around five years on Amana systems.

I purchased a spare to have on hand within the week.


__________
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."
 
Posts: 4121 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Always good to have spare parts on hand and caps are not that expensive. Another part is the fan motor on the outside unit.
 
Posts: 1316 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Something else to have around is a contactor-the item to the right of the starting capacitor in the first picture. I've replaced many throughout the years from either voltage surges of fire ants getting in them. Sometimes if fire ants make it inside, you can clean and sand the points with a micro file to get it going, but they're inexpensive enough to just keep handy.
 
Posts: 5938 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Amazon does have Made In U.S.A. capacitors. I keep one of these on hand.

Amrad Capacitor, Made In U.S.A.
My coworker turned me on to AmRad as he's had a good experience. I have 2 units and so far I have installed 2 plus I keep 2 spares on hand.

IME, the Chinesium ones are low $20s and made in USA AmRad are low $30s.



Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
 
Posts: 25809 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I bought a couple of JARD brand to keep as spares, mainly because that's what my AC units use.

It seems like the Amrad are probably better since they are made in the USA and when I replace the ones on my shelf, I'll go with that brand.

This place is where I bought them from and they are fast shippers and the prices were about $10 for the the JARD brand.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Du...-Capacitors-19701000
 
Posts: 140 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
The best way to make sure your starting capacitor never fails, is to have a spare on hand. Razz


quote:
use an insulated screwdriver blade to bridge the connectors on top to discharge any remaining current, then remove the wires capacitor,


If you have a meter, you can use it to discharge and verify it at the same time. Read all 3 terminals, terminal to terminal (A-B, A-C, B-C), and then read each terminal to ground. You will see the voltage drop to zero as it discharges and when you get zero on all readings you are good to go.
The screwdriver trick will work, but 40 years of working with high voltage has taught me that it never hurts to be sure.



“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

 
Posts: 4538 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
and installing an EZStart Capacitor vs a standard one

Just to clarify, that is NOT a capacitor and most of these units still use the installed "capacitor", it's a soft start unit.


__________________________________

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/
 
Posts: 6666 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
About 2 years after moving into our house, we had the AC go out on a hot July day. The HVAC contractor came out, replaced the capacitor, and was kind enough to teach me about it and recommend having a spare on hand. He said they often fail during heat waves, and the HVAC guys get overwhelmed with calls such that it could be several days before they can come out, and also, sometimes the supply house would run out and need to order. I grabbed one for each of my units, and of course, have never had one go out in the about 15 years since!
 
Posts: 2208 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a little tip to remember when buying a capacitor. You will see a voltage rating printed on the side . Make sure the replacement is rated equal to or above the one you are replacing . Higher is OK . Lower is a no go . This is for the voltage rating , NOT the capacitance .That needs to match .
 
Posts: 5098 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I've learned a lot about HVAC systems over the years, primarily because I don't want to get gouged on service calls. I've replaced capacitors over the years, and a contactor here and there. I just replaced the insulation on my exterior copper suction lines.

I had an evaporator coil start leaking a few years ago, and had it replaced at many thousands of dollars.

My other (upstairs) unit was not cooling a week or so ago, so I bought a digital manifold gauge to see what was going on. Sure enough, it was very low on refrigerant (R-410A in this case). I researched and bought some Leak Saver with UV dye. I also got my EPA 608 certification so I could legally buy refrigerant.

Yesterday, I put 4 pounds of refrigerant in the system and injected the leak saver. It's cooling normally now and the pressures are steady. I hope it holds. I'll have to replace the evaporator coil again if it doesn't. But I learned so much that I am confident now of not getting screwed over by the AC guys. At least I can speak intelligently about the system and it's problems. Youtube has been fantastic.


--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God
 
Posts: 1011 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D_Steve:
Excellent reminder and advice. I used bold type for the following quote to eliminate surprises:

quote:
use an insulated screwdriver blade to bridge the connectors on top to discharge any remaining current, then remove the wires capacitor,


Not sure that I would recommend an insulated screwdriver to use to discharge. Some folks may not be aware of exactly what an insulated screwdriver is (the shaft is insulated) and the fact that you have to use the non-insulated portion (the blade only) of the screwdriver to do the discharge. You would need a pretty large bladed insulated screwdriver to be able to bridge the terminals. For someone not familiar with electricity "improper" use of an insulated screwdriver to "attempt" to do the discharge might be dangerous if the discharge was not successful.

Use a regular screwdriver and just hold the handle and don't touch the shaft of the screwdriver when doing the procedure.
 
Posts: 2078 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Dang Rouge. Went out to dinner last night with some friends. Came back to my thermostat reading 76 when it was set at 73. Hottest day of the year down here with 110+ heat index of course. Sure enough my capacitor blew! Went to Home Depot this morning and got a new one for $20. Employee next to me said they had just gotten those in and have been selling them like hotcakes. I went ahead and took your advice and got a second one to squirrel away. The Titan HD’s are also made in the USA. What a timely thread. lol





Posted from my iPhone.
 
Posts: 4353 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:...

Use a regular screwdriver and just hold the handle and don't touch the shaft of the screwdriver when doing the procedure.




I used a Cap discharger. Mostly because more often discharging for maintenance rather than replacing a bad cap.

Just takes a few seconds and I know the cap is discharged.

I use to use my multimeter (had the capability to bleed them down), but it took too long.




"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" ✡ Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא עוד
 
Posts: 46609 | Location: Box 1663 Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Reminder for homeowners: Keep a spare AC capacitor on hand

© SIGforum 2026