SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there an acceptable way to tell a corporate do-gooder project manager that I'm not interested in sharing personal info?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there an acceptable way to tell a corporate do-gooder project manager that I'm not interested in sharing personal info? Login/Join 
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Tried to find the most
boring answers.

Your favorite movie? The Tree of Life

Your favorite book? Gravity’s Rainbow

Favorite Band/Song: The Carpenters

Favorite hobby: Knitting

Your last best vacation?: Staying home during the Covid pandemic

You are best when...? Listening to politicians

You dislike when...? Listening to TV adverts

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Go with the Paris catacomb pic. They should really appreciate that, and you still get to give them a subtle dig.

But play the game, and play it with good humor and style.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deeds Not Words
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Where's the option of just ignoring the whole thing?

Haha...you so much me remind me of my first Senior Chief almost 30 years ago...”No Ensign, I didn’t ask you to tell me how do you THINK the HPAC works, instead tell me how DOES the HPAC work!” Sadly, MMCS (SW) Jerry Hudson left us and our navy too soon...

Navy BMD: When "Aim High" isn't High Enough!

Posts: 62 | Registered: August 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
You guys are so dull! Frayed was just trying to have some fun: He didn't want our advice!! Your replies show that you are all pussywhipped. Lighten up, people! (geez)
K.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Lol I don’t mind the advice. Although the humorous replies are much more fun. I was hoping there was a politically correct way to tell them to fuck off. Of course I know there isn’t. I will come up with bland answers. But I welcome colorful answers from you guys.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12438 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Oh I’m sorry, I must not have gotten or seen that email works for me. After about the third time they quit sending them and leave me alone

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Your favorite movie? The Flintstones

Your favorite book? Mein Kampf

Favorite Band/Song: Chuck Berry/My Dingaling

Favorite hobby: Solving my Rubik’s Cube with my feet (yes, it’s a thing).

Your last best vacation?: This past summer I visited the largest landfills in the contiguous U.S.

You are best when...? I’m asleep.

You dislike when...? Mom toasts my bread too much.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
How about this one for a family photo?

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I hated that shit as well, but I don't see these questions as getting into personal info. Just provide defensible answers for when they go around the room and ask you to discuss.

No questions about your family, do you drink or take drugs, have you ever been fired, have you ever been arrested, and so on.

I don't have a favorite anything, except a certain food.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post

Play along...
Use very vague answers...
Use this pic

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Okay, Slayer. Seasons in the Abyss was the best album. You cannot deny that Jim.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
fwiw, The film Severance is a cheeky European horror movie about a Team Building Exercise gone wrong.

Worth a watch, at least.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretend to be the main character in Office Space, see if they get the joke:

Your favorite movie? Office Space
Your favorite book? Vibe
Favorite Band/Song: It's Good to be a Gangsta
Favorite hobby: Doing nothing
Your last best vacation?: Missing work, but not really missing it.
You are best when...? I am not writing TPS reports
You dislike when...? I have six bosses asking about the TPS reports

Posts: 4725 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Let me offer a bit of perspective from the other side of the equation. I'm a Senior Project Manager by trade. I've dealt with hundreds of project teams over the years. When I worked for a then Fortune 100 Tech firm, my boss continually got inundated with requests from HR to have his staff perform these retarded 'team building' exercises. I hated them every bit as much as everyone else did, and pushed back wherever I thought I could. However, HR has to find some reason to exist, and the rest of us get to suffer for their existence. If your PM is anything like me, he'll have as little interest in this nonsense as you do, so as others have noted, respond, keep everything general, and play along as best you can so that everyone can get back to doing what they're actually paid to do.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Favorite Band/Song: Chuck Berry/My Dingaling

Ok, I lost it. Big Grin

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Reading this stupidity all I can think is "God, I'm glad I don't have to deal with it anymore."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ The thing that gets me is in a company filled with engineers, that professes to make decisions using data, and that uses 6 sigma as the common system for improvement, the HR people are enamored of scientifically unproven and invalid crap like Meyers Briggs and TKI. And there's alway an engineering executive that drank the kool aid and thinks this stuff is real.

I had no idea these things were not given any credence by actual psychiatric and psychological researchers and practitioners, until I looked it up. And if you bring up the fact to HR and ask them why in a company that lives and dies by our design and manufacturing engineering skills we would use unscientific parlour games, and they just say this is what we use and act like you're the problem.

Posts: 4725 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Okay, Slayer. Seasons in the Abyss was the best album. You cannot deny that Jim.

Well I’m a child of the 80s. I mean seasons came out in 90 so not too late. But it’s Reign in Blood and South of Heaven for me. Maybe Hell Awaits if it was mixed a little better. I did sing seasons in the abyss at karaoke once. They thought the intro would never end.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12438 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had no idea these things were not given any credence by actual psychiatric and psychological researchers and practitioners, until I looked it up. And if you bring up the fact to HR and ask them why in a company that lives and dies by our design and manufacturing engineering skills we would use unscientific parlour games, and they just say this is what we use and act like you're the problem.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This stuff is basically 1970s Pop Psychology. Hope you have Encounter groups sometime.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
One of the many reasons I started my own company, to get away from the madness.

I did get a little bit of it around 5 or 6 years ago when a minority female employee complained that my company name was racist (she didn't know the difference between race and ethnicity). I got asked where it came from, I told them, and that was the end of it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post