SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there an acceptable way to tell a corporate do-gooder project manager that I'm not interested in sharing personal info?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there an acceptable way to tell a corporate do-gooder project manager that I'm not interested in sharing personal info? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
This could probably be in the "What's your deal?" section but I'm more looking for opinions...

I'm on a project team that has been working together for a few years. My role is small. I hardly have anything to say at meetings. I just follow project risks and communicate them with the quality organization.

Anyhow many new members of the team over the last few months, including the project leader. Today he sent out a meeting invite with "Who's who" game as an "icebreaker". They want us to answer the questions below, and provide an awkward photo of ourself. The idea being everyone will vote on who is who by the answers and photo. Basically a team building type thing.

I despise this crap. I am good at my job but I don't particularly like mixing my personal life with work life. I only share things about myself with close coworkers of many years. Otherwise I do my work and keep my mouth shut. This team almost never meets in person. Many of them are in France.

Anyhow, here's the questions and for fun, what my answers would be. I'm sure you can see my dilemma. I want to gently refuse to answer. My other choice is just make shit up and don't worry about it.

Your favorite movie? I have no answer I like so many. How about Silence of the Lambs.

Your favorite book? The Liberal Media Industrial Complex by Mark Dice. Wink

Favorite Band/Song: Slayer, Raining Blood.

Favorite hobby: Guns and guns and bbq and guns.

Your last best vacation?: Fort Myers during Covid so I could drink at a bar without the Karens whining. I didn't fill out my travel form either.

You are best when...? When corporate do gooders let me do my job and stay out of my shit.

You dislike when...? When corporate do gooders get in my personal life.

Big Grin So do I send the answers?

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12438 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I would just participate and make up answers that are not real or applicable to you.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ask if this a corporation of adults or the high school year book committee?

Posts: 4058 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I would just participate and make up answers that are not real or applicable to you.

Bingo. Fake it and just play along, not worth the hassle, time or brain power of pushing back and dealing with the fallout.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
You could provide a pic of Yosemite Sam or Bill Murray.

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the politically correct answers. Sometimes, the fight just isn’t worth it.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Just decline the meeting and show up anyway without participating.

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:

Bingo. Fake it and just play along, not worth the hassle, time or brain power of pushing back and dealing with the fallout.

Yep. I’d do whatever feels like the equivalent of a polite smile and nod. You probably won’t be the only one.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Yep. As much as I would like to tell them to get stuffed, it would come back to bite me in the end. So just grit your teeth and make some shit up.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I was on a "team building" zoom where they did this crap. Be generic not honest.

The furthest I'd push it would be your favorites being:
  • movie - Office Space since the corporate idiocy seems to abound at your workplace
  • book - Journey to Cubeville a Dilbert Book by Scott Adams

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23260 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Step by step walk the thousand mile road
    Picture of Sig2340
    posted Hide Post
    Your answers aren't crazy enough.

Let me suggest:

Your favorite movie? Nekromantik.

Your favorite book? Donner Party Cookbook

Favorite Band/Song: Slayer, Raining Blood.

Favorite hobby: Guns, skinning, butcher, and filet knives, and long pig bbq.

Your last best vacation?: The Pripyat Exclusion Zone. At night.

You are best when...? Having a friend for dinner.

You dislike when...? When that friend whines about the menu.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
    Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    paradox in a box
    Picture of frayedends
    posted Hide Post
    Yeah I will have to do as most of you say. Grit my teeth and be politically correct. Although Tatortodd has a nice idea with Office space and Dilbert.

Now for photos, I've chose one of two to send. You be the judge. Big Grin Big Grin

Or, since they are French, one from the Paris Catacombs...

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12438 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    While cathartic it’s not worth the potential hassle. I answer with truthful but more mundane answers. So, Im not lying but neither am I giving more info than I have to nor any excuses for controversy or trouble.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of cne32507
    posted Hide Post
    This is fun. Do you want to get booted off the team? Help me here...this thread could have legs

Your favorite movie? The Life of Pi

Your favorite book? Blood Meridian

Your favorite band/song? Pink Floyd/Another Brick in the Wall

Your favorite hobby? Taxidermy

Your last best vacation? Taking underprivileged young boys canoeing on the Chattooga

You are best when…I am left alone

You dislike when…I have to pretend I like you

2nd photo for sure

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cne32507,

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    always with a hat or sunscreen
    Picture of bald1
    posted Hide Post
    I wouldn't send any actual pictures of myself. Rather a made-up caricature attributed to a pre-school youngster. It may not be a photo but it'd be awkward. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
    USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Leemur
    posted Hide Post
    Be bland, keep your personal life personal. Just don’t include anything real or fake that encourages more questions.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ignored facts
    still exist
    posted Hide Post
    damn, are you getting paid to play these ice-breaker games? sign me up. I'll take money for that.

----------------------
    Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    paradox in a box
    Picture of frayedends
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Do you want to get booted off the team

Yes actually. I’m not qualified for the position as I have no experience with this stuff. It’s only like 5% of my time but the most stressful. But I don’t want to be fired. Lol

These go to eleven.

I Am The Walrus
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

That's what I do. I seriously doubt anyone is going to make an issue out of it. But if they come up later and say, "do you really like...?" Just laugh and say, "no, I made it up!!!" and you both have a laugh.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Page late and a dollar short
    posted Hide Post
    I'm so glad that I do not have to deal with that nonsense anymore.

-------------------------------------——————
    ————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post