SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thank You Jack Wilson (West Freeway Church of Christ volunteer guard)
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Thank You Jack Wilson (West Freeway Church of Christ volunteer guard) Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

One point that I think will be evident is the shooter should have never been allowed to come into the church.

Was there any indication that he had a shotgun BEFORE he opened fire?

There is only so much church security can do short of setting up metal detectors. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't get me wrong... I'm not about to criticize the man.. he is a real hero .. did what most of us even with all our second guess would have never been able to do.

What I suspect is once he realized he had to engage the shooter everything that followed was total muscle memory from extensive training.

After action analasis is just natural and is what should be done.. that is not to be considered criticism of this man.

One point that I think will be evident is the shooter should have never been allowed to come into the church.

I will say if any of you ever get a chance to take a Sheep Dog Seminar, do it.
https://www.sheepdogsafetytraining.com

You really should stop with the bullshit.

First, “muscle memory” is a myth. Second, I don’t go to church, but last I heard the general public are welcome. Common sense tells me the doors were unlocked, as they should be. Third, you did in fact criticize the man in an earlier post.

I bet you 1000 dollars you would not have done near as well as Jack Wilson.

https://www.livescience.com/56...strength-memory.html

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Report This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Snake, that is exactly my line of thinking. I will continue to carry a J frame in certain situations. Just not in church.

quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
quote:
Back to not carrying a J frame.

I think his line of thinking is that it would have been a less-than-ideal choice to try and take THIS or a similar shot (15 yard head shot, moving target, friendlies in the way, etc.)

I say carry as much gun as you can, but any gun is better than no gun at all.

Sometimes the only gun I can carry is a LCP or 642 given attire, location, need to be discrete etc.
But I will take either one of those over harsh language and a Benchmade any day.

Posts: 2044 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a complete video of the incident? Even TMZ skips over the actual shootings. Not being a ghoul, I would just appreciate seeing the whole thing.

Posts: 1106 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Report This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asonie:
Im on my church safety team. When I pull a shift I carry my G19 because it’s the best tool I have for that situation. When I go for a run I carry a J-frame because that’s the best tool for that situation.

No hate for a J-frame. It is better than no weapon at all but when I’m entrusted to provide a safe worship environment for ~250 people the G19 is more accurate, holds more ammunition, and is easier to shoot. For me it’s the only responsible choice, until I get a P229 in .357 SIG it would seem.

How about a G32? Same feel and exterior size as your G19, but chambered in .357 SIG.

I carried a 229 in .40 for a couple years, ( back in the mid 90's ) but then transitioned to the same pistol in .357 SIG and carried it for many years before eventually switching over to a Gen 4 G32 and G31. Lighter and more capacity than the 229, ( which I still own and carry from time to time. )

Mr Wilson certainly is a hero. The right man, with the right training, with the right mind-set, in the right place, at the right time.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Report This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Come on guys. Stop this crap. Before you get this thread locked.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
How many lives have you guys saved this week? Thank him and congratulate him and thank God he was there, and leave the rest of that stuff out of it.

Any advice for Capt. Sully on making emergency water landings, guys? Come on.

Posts: 18139 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Mr.Wilson had the mindset and the faith to do what was needed, and to get through the aftermath.

He is a good Witness on every level.

Posts: 16169 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I could not have made that shot, that bothers me. A mag dump would have been my only option

The right Man, at the right place, at the right time. Huge responsibility

Posts: 152 | Location: west Florida | Registered: July 08, 2018Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FrankMoses:
Is there a complete video of the incident? Even TMZ skips over the actual shootings. Not being a ghoul, I would just appreciate seeing the whole thing.

http://breaking911.com/breakin...fatalities-reported/

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched the video many times, and I notice that the perp stands up and talks to one of the security persons. That security person then points to a location to his right.

This is a common tactic, ask a question to create a diversion, so the intended victim is not concentrating on the immenent threat. Commonly done just before the sucker punch, etc. It is most important that you, the possible victim, concentrate on what the perp is trying to do. Do not get engaged in the diversion, be mentally prepared and understand what a perp may do next. It is more of do what you feel, not what you think.

Also someone tells the gunman to "drop the weapon/or gun". It is audible in the above video. That is a big mistake. If a perp pulls out a weapon and points it at you or others, do not waste precious time telling him what to do "or else". As Tuco said "when you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk".

-c1steve

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I watched the video again, enlarging the screen to really see what happened. One of the men who was killed was noticeably fumbling, dare I say, hesitating, to get his gun. He went down trying to do so.

Not criticizing in anyway, but just reinforces something I've long thought about when sitting in a coffee shop, church, wherever.

What if?

I was just sitting here on my iPad pasting a meme on SigForum, suddenly there's a tool waving a gun around? What are the rules-of-engagement?

Wait til he starts shooting first?

Shoot him because he looks like a threat? (talking to you, Chipotle AR carrying weenies).

Watching that video has been sobering, at best.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12403 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If one of those shot had a J-frame or back up gun in a coat pocket, it could easily have saved their life. Or perhaps turn away from the congregation to move their IWB pistol to a coat pocket, and keep one hand on their gun at all times.

-c1steve

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Mad props to Mr. Wilson!

quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
I carried a j frame in church yesterday. After watching this shooting unfold, I will never carry a j frame in church again.

I'm curious as to why? I carry a Airweight J frame to church.

I don't know about you, but...

One of my best friends has a J-Frame. Neither he, nor I, nor another of our best friends has ever been able to shoot that thing worth a damn. Two of the three of us could shoot my Ruger LCR much better. I can shoot my LCP much better than I could my LCR, my 9mm PPS M2 better than that, and my .45 ACP Colt Defender yet better again.

With the increase in these incidents I'm increasingly loath to carry anything less than my PPS M2 in 9mm, and I think I'm going to carry my Defender more than I have.

Coincidentally: A P229 in .357 SIG has been on my wish list for a while.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Coincidentally: A P229 in .357 SIG has been on my wish list for a while.

I have one, with the .40 barrel and the .357. It is a West German gun, then worked over by Gray Guns. The .357 Sig barrel is from Bar-Sto. What could be better, right? However I rarely shoot it. My P320s are much easier to clean and I like the trigger better, so they get 99% of the range time.

Overall I am very impressed with the church member who saved the day. A moving target, a DA shot, and a head shot at that. Glad the right person was in the right place at the right time.

-c1steve

Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Why the disguise? What was the motive?
When the minister saw a photo of the bad guy without the wig and fake beard, he recognized him as someone who had come there often to get food. He would always get very angry when they refused his requests for money and storm out.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Report This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
When I was an active LEO, other officers and I would routinely discuss incidents like this involving off-duty officers and others. Over the years, I've seen so many security videos which depict an armed offender, being confronted by an armed citizen or cop, that I can't even recall the number. It's a tough decision to make, but our consensus is that being a "good witness" is at some point insufficient. The time to shoot is when the carrier believes in good faith that innocent victim(s) are going to be killed or subjected to great bodily injury. If/when that moment occurs, providing a verbal warning is more likely to increase the risk to those victims as well as the carrier. I can wholeheartedly understand if one of the churchgoers (with a gun) tried to get the offender to surrender, but (if so) the result was as predictable as it was tragic.

Shooting an offender (even someone as evil as this guy) is an extremely difficult act for most people to carry out, but seeing a situation like this going down requires a psychological commitment that's as well honed as the practical ability to utilize the tool (firearm) one has at his/her disposal, and the type of weapon carried. I'm hoping those who watch this video will assign this mindset the importance it deserves.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10260 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Report This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Some additional thoughts. No, I'm not going to criticize Mr. Jack Wilson. But I would like to shake his hand. That would be a great honor. I'd also like to donate a small amount to his campaign for county executive. Don't know what they call it, or if he's taking donations or still running. He's a good man. 'Round here he's referred to as a good old boy. In the deepest sense of the word. I'm only sorry I don't know him personally. Sure wish I did.

Won't insult him by saying I wish I could buy him a beer, but if he would drink it I sure would. I'd buy him a beer every week for as long as I live.

I'd even suggest that Para consider taking up a collection for his campaign. Good help is hard to find. I hope that church appreciates him.

Edit:
Let me come back in and say this country needs more just like him, and needs more like him in high position and fewer like the pieces of trash wanting high office. For examples of those, just watch the evening news and all the "D" candidates the media is fawning over all the time.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a Christian church, man. Turning people away at the door of a church without clear cause goes against the tenets of Christianity. I want you to cool it and I don't want to have to say this to you again.

Posts: 109047 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
Also someone tells the gunman to "drop the weapon/or gun". It is audible in the above video. That is a big mistake. If a perp pulls out a weapon and points it at you or others, do not waste precious time telling him what to do "or else". As Tuco said "when you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk".
I want all the armchair quarterbacking to cease. Who was the "someone"? You don't know, but you can bet your bottom dollar that it was not a law enforcement professional. Stop second-guessing these poor people.

Posts: 109047 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Hey Para, could I ask a favor? Please beat on the idiots a lot more but don't lock this thread.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Report This Post