SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thank You Jack Wilson (West Freeway Church of Christ volunteer guard)
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Thank You Jack Wilson (West Freeway Church of Christ volunteer guard) Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
'I’m Thankful to GOD': Hero Security Guard Speaks Out On Texas Church Shooting

Jack Wilson has been identified as the heroic security guard who killed the shooter that attacked West Freeway Church of Christ during one of its Sunday morning services.

Wilson, who is running to be county commissioner in Hood County, shared on Facebook that while he is sad he lost "two dear friends and brothers in CHRIST," he thanks God for being able to protect the congregation because evil does exist in the world.

"I just want to thank all who have sent their prayers and comments on the events of today. The events at West Freeway Church of Christ put me in a position that I would hope no one would have to be in, but evil exist and I had to take out an active shooter in church," Wilson wrote.

"I’m thankful to GOD that I have been blessed with the ability and desire to serve him in the role of head of security at the church. I am very sad in the loss of two dear friends and brothers in CHRIST, but evil does exist in this world and I and other members are not going to allow evil to succeed," he added. "Please pray for all the members and their families in this time. Thank you for your prayers and understanding."

Wilson then revealed he used a SIG P229, chambered in .357 SIG, to take down the shooter with a single shot. Wilson is also a former firearms instructor and reserve sheriff's deputy.

During a press conference Sunday evening, West Freeway Church of Christ Senior Minister Britt Farmer said he was thankful the state of Texas allows people to carry inside churches. In addition to Wilson, video from inside the church showed at least five members of the congregation rushed to the scene with their firearms.

"We lost two great men today. But it could have been a lot worse and I’m thankful that our government has allowed us the opportunity to protect ourselves," Farmer said. "We have a congregation here with open hearted people. We help people. We’re here to help people and to have something like this happen destroys my heart. And when I say destroys, it destroys it because there is evil in this world. Today is one sermon I’ll never preach. It will go away. It’s called leaving a legacy. And two men today left a legacy. And the congregation is going to build on that legacy."

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...ch-shooting-n2558681

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
They have not yet identified the shooter, or anything about him (other than he was male). Although the outcome was not ideal (2 died, plus the shooter), it does appear that a greater tragedy was avoided.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Being on our church security team, I have watched the video at least a dozen times. I am certainly glad that Mr. Wilson was able to put the gunman down as quickly as he did. There are a lot of lessons that can be learned.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I carried a j frame in church yesterday. After watching this shooting unfold, I will never carry a j frame in church again.

Posts: 2044 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Report This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I cannot say why for sure, but watching the video I had guessed correctly what weapon he used to take out the murderous villain.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19707 | Registered: September 21, 2005Report This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
What really concerns me is our church has a very large balcony and depending on where you stand, a shot can easily be 50 yards. I can't make that shot.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
I carried a j frame in church yesterday. After watching this shooting unfold, I will never carry a j frame in church again.

I'm curious as to why? I carry a Airweight J frame to church.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:

Because making a shot like that is not easy with a J frame. Hell, under pressure that’s a hard shot for just about any pistol.

Posts: 3390 | Registered: December 06, 2006Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Texas Republican credits church security team, change in state law after shooting

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...e-law-after-shooting

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30899 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
He is a Retired Sheriffs Deputy and Firearms Instructor. To engage a murderer with a shotgun and fire only 1 round and put him down is really impressive. God put him there for a reason. I’m glad he was able to stop countless innocent deaths.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
GWbiker, this is exactly why. Dead on the money. And I cannot draw it as fast from an iwb holster.

QUOTE]Originally posted by limblessbiff:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:

Because making a shot like that is not easy with a J frame. Hell, under pressure that’s a hard shot for just about any pistol.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 2044 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Report This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Well, one must be realistic when it comes to CCW. Not every person can make every shot every time. In my church, for example, I could need a sniper rifle to take down a shooter, depending upon where he was in relation to me (our church seats about 5000).

And it looked like the hero in this case was fortunate in having a clear backstop (at least he wasn't shooting at a perp among the crowd, where any miss would be guaranteed to hit at least one bystander).

Sometimes, there just is no good clear shot to be had (in which case you move until there is a clear shot, let somebody else take the shot, or use other means to negate the threat).

I would argue that a J-frame (or equivalent) is better than nothing.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
SALUTE sir. God guided your skill.

posted Hide Post
Nice shot, Jack!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16381 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Report This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Jack owned and operated the gun range as well as was the cwp instructor that I took all my classes and re-cert training under until his gun range burned down.
He's also running for my precincts county commissioner but he's running against my long time friend and current pct 3 commissioner Bruce White. Least they are both running on the right/only side I will vote for.

Posts: 18139 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I also saw the size of the muzzle flash, and though it was a .357 Sig or similar round. Good shot, too bad the other security members were not quite ready. One or both of them should have had their hand on their gun, perhaps in a coat pocket, ready to fire.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Woodrow Call comes through again.

Posts: 1106 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a better video of it:

http://breaking911.com/breakin...fatalities-reported/

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Report This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
My heart goes out to the poor woman who saw her father gunned down.

Posts: 12575 | Registered: October 13, 2002Report This Post
Picture of AJF
posted Hide Post
That is a much better video.

I’ve watched another video which has some parts blocked out.
That was one fast reacting cowboy!