SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thank You Jack Wilson (West Freeway Church of Christ volunteer guard)
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Thank You Jack Wilson (West Freeway Church of Christ volunteer guard) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Very sad situation. I am glad to see someone was able to stop the scum before he was able to kill anyone else. That poor security guard had no chance,in my opinion,wherever he carried his gun. He already had a bead on him before he could do a thing. He and the other parishioner, made a sacrifice for the others. I couldn't help but think of a biblical verse : No greater love hath any man than this, to lay down his life for his friends. I believe that is what he did and a good testimony for us all. Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 7057 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Was reading Mr. Wilson's interview with one media source; the deceased church security volunteer apparently did get a round off which struck the wall. Went down swinging to protect family, friends, and perhaps a few folks who just happened to join them in worship Sunday. Richard White was his name. Anton Wallace was the other gentleman.

Posts: 3385 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
GWbiker, this is exactly why. Dead on the money. And I cannot draw it as fast from an iwb holster.

QUOTE]Originally posted by limblessbiff:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
I carried a j frame in church yesterday. After watching this shooting unfold, I will never carry a j frame in church again.

I'm curious as to why? I carry a Airweight J frame to church.

Because making a shot like that is not easy with a J frame. Hell, under pressure that’s a hard shot for just about any pistol.
[/QUOTE]

Right IronMike. Now just imagine had there been another bad guy. Or three. You wold be woefully under gunned with that J frame. Which is why I no longer carry mine.

Posts: 5787 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Report This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Not to second guess the man because he is a hero but I think he was wrong to make just one shot... I think he should have fired at least three times before stopping to determine if there was no longer a threat.

the other thing the video does not show is what was going on in the rear of the church.... I fear that everyone else armed was rushing toward the shooter and no one was watching the rear.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Report This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Not to second guess the man because he is a hero but I think he was wrong to make just one shot... I think he should have fired at least three times before stopping to determine if there was no longer a threat.

The shooter fell like a load of bricks. The security guard would have fired any additional shots into the wall.

Year V

Posts: 2672 | Registered: November 05, 2012Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wilson stated that he had a fraction of a second for that shot. People were still in his line of fire, not all of them prone on the floor. The head shot was all he had, a torso shot was out of the question.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17153 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How many lives have you guys saved this week? Thank him and congratulate him and thank God he was there, and leave the rest of that stuff out of it.

Any advice for Capt. Sully on making emergency water landings, guys? Come on.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109047 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Damn good shooting. Cool under fire. Really cool.

Posts: 1795 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

the other thing the video does not show is what was going on in the rear of the church.... I fear that everyone else armed was rushing toward the shooter and no one was watching the rear.

OMG!!!

Posts: 1106 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Report This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post

Making the only shot possible, head shot at ~50 feet, under the greatest possible pressure - the sign of true expertise.

We should all strive to have such skills, and the wherewithal to utilize them if needed.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
^^^
And with a 229 in 357SIG at that.
Most impressive.

Posts: 12550 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Report This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Guy did a terrific job. Monday morning QB’s wouldn’t have done any better, despite what they think.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Report This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Slightly changing the subject... Someone up above suggested it looked like the bad guy had a Shockwave. Never heard anything else about it.

It could just as easily have been the Remington knockoff, or a home made sawedoff. Has anyone heard anything else about the shooters gun?

Back to not carrying a J frame. Would anyone suggest nothing instead? I don't even know if the caliber of the guard's gun had anything to do with the bad guy dropping like a sake of potato's. Could have been a 22 depending on where it hit.

We don't know, but many of us would like to.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Report This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Interview with Mr. Wilson. This is one calm SOB who relied on his training.

Headshot was his only option.

"I didn't kill an individual, I killed evil"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12403 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
That's an excellent interview with Mr. Wilson. The reporter's asked good questions and were quite respectful (unlike most of the msm clowns).

Posts: 3578 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Report This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Back to not carrying a J frame.

I think his line of thinking is that it would have been a less-than-ideal choice to try and take THIS or a similar shot (15 yard head shot, moving target, friendlies in the way, etc.)

I say carry as much gun as you can, but any gun is better than no gun at all.

If you watch the video, look where the Deacon’s daughter is sitting in relation to the shooter. (She is the one in black and gray who stands up, screams, and runs to the back of the church.)
A 642 in the hands of someone in her relative position would be more than adequate to drop the bad guy.

Sometimes the only gun I can carry is a LCP or 642 given attire, location, need to be discrete etc.
But I will take either one of those over harsh language and a Benchmade any day.

Posts: 12550 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Yes, I was really impressed with Wilson in that interview. What a well-spoken *gentle*man. He kept mentioning processing what happened and that he considers that killed an evil. I hope he'll always have peace with it that way. I'd hate to think that he'll feel guilt for his two friends that died.

Year V

Posts: 2672 | Registered: November 05, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I for one am impressed at the completeness of the churches planing

Posts: 34 | Location: United States | Registered: August 08, 2013Report This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong... I'm not about to criticize the man.. he is a real hero .. did what most of us even with all our second guess would have never been able to do.

What I suspect is once he realized he had to engage the shooter everything that followed was total muscle memory from extensive training.

After action analasis is just natural and is what should be done.. that is not to be considered criticism of this man.

One point that I think will be evident is the shooter should have never been allowed to come into the church.

I will say if any of you ever get a chance to take a Sheep Dog Seminar, do it.
https://www.sheepdogsafetytraining.com

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Report This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Im on my church safety team. When I pull a shift I carry my G19 because it’s the best tool I have for that situation. When I go for a run I carry a J-frame because that’s the best tool for that situation.

No hate for a J-frame. It is better than no weapon at all but when I’m entrusted to provide a safe worship environment for ~250 people the G19 is more accurate, holds more ammunition, and is easier to shoot. For me it’s the only responsible choice, until I get a P229 in .357 SIG it would seem.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Report This Post