New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cat vs. Fox Login/Join 
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted
Recently, a Red Fox moved into the neighborhood and has started chasing and harassing my wife’s cat. This morning he cornered the cat as he has previously by chasing him onto the back steps, then standing at the bottom about 8 feet away, and barking at him until we hear it and let the cat in. We have not witnessed nor is there any evidence of any physical altercation yet, but seems pretty bold for a fox who doesn’t scurry away when we show up to open the door and even step outside. The fox is a fairly large one, and is pretty mangy to boot. It isn’t the only fox around, but seems to be the one interested in the cat.

Is the fox a danger to the cat? Consensus on the web seems to be that a cat can take care of himself, and no real evidence of Foxes killing cats, but that’s not unanimous. I trust the experience here. What do we know?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Risk of rabies maybe?

Posts: 4702 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Foxes are territorial and "patrol" an area they have adopted. My guess is your Fox is upset your Cat is on his ground.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
If it were my cat, I would likely dispatch the fox.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not an expert on foxes, but one that is mangy and not fearful of your approach may well be rabid.

I've killed foxes for less. My advice, do the same.

And cats aren't really outside pets. Keep yours inside, is my advice for its longevity.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9146 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
.22 LR.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
We have had a rash of people's cats going MIA, many are indoor cats, that got out. They have been ripe targets for foxes. You will never know the score of these encounters. Most never are found. I don't blame the fox for doing what foxes do.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I'm not an expert on foxes, but one that is mangy and not fearful of your approach may well be rabid.

I've killed foxes for less. My advice, do the same.

And cats aren't really outside pets. Keep yours inside, is my advice for its longevity.

I agree ^

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
What does the fox say?

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
We have a ton of foxes in our neighborhood, a couple of them seem to have moved out of the adjoining wooded park, and taken up residence in people's back yards. They susbsist on a diet of unsecured garbage cans, chipmunks, and yes, the occasionaly cat. Once or twice a year, in the middle of the night, we will hear a terrible screaming and yowling that eventually dies out, to be followed a few days later by signs on telephone poles, "has anyone seen Fluffy?" The foxes are quite bold having learned that they have nothing to fear from people or their dogs.

In this jurisdiction, discharge of firearms is prohibited. Same with air guns and anything that shoots a projectile. Neighbors are quick to turn you in if they even see a firearm. Sooner or later, a fox will injure a child, then we'll see if control actually is an option after all.

Posts: 6459 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awhile back our Dept. received numerous phone calls about a large red fox prowling the neighborhoods during the day. People were concerned that it maybe rabid since they weren’t used to seeing foxes out in the daytime. I encountered him several times over a few weeks. He was a healthy, handsome beast and showed no signs of distemper or rabies. I contacted our State Game Commission & spoke with a biologist about the behavior. She explained that foxes aren’t particularly nocturnal although they tend to avoid humans. She went on to say that they have observed similar circumstances wherein a fox would “stake out” locations where people fed their cats outside. Then they’d eat the cats!!
She said a male fox would usually move on after they cleaned out all the easy prey. Pretty much what happened, along with a spate of “Missing “ posters…..
We also had a few instances of rabid foxes feeding off feral cat colonies. Rabies outbreaks peak around 14 days unless the transmission is interrupted. Cats and foxes are not a good thing at all. I’m worried for your cat.

Posts: 85 | Location: NEPA | Registered: February 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
The best part is how you refer to the cat as "the wife's..." It's ok if you have a cat! Big Grin

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that a fox will eat a cat, although I have never actually witnessed it.

I live on a farm and have several barn cats. Big tough barn cats. As I walked up to the barn one summer day, the biggest, toughest barn cat came running out of the corn field with an average sized fox in hot pursuit. When the fox saw me, he stopped and ran away.

The cat and I are both certain that the fox was about to eat the cat.

I have seen foxes carry off chickens, ducks, a large turkey and a lamb.

This will do the trick in an urban area.

https://www.amazon.com/Havahar...aps%2C51&sr=8-4&th=1

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I've seen a fox in our neighborhood attacking a cat. Don't know who won. Wouldn't be good for the cat either way....

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
The fox will indeed kill the cat, given an advantage. He's probably working on it as we speak.

They're like raccoons, they'll eat all the cat food, then they'll eat the cat.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
The best part is how you refer to the cat as "the wife's..." It's ok if you have a cat! Big Grin

I do not have a cat. I have a wife who has a cat. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Risk of rabies maybe?

Always top of mind for us. My mother was attacked by a rabid raccoon. It latched on to her lower leg while she was gardening and wouldn't let go until a neighbor 2 doors down showed up with a shovel and beat it until it to let go. Mom required surgery to put her calf and achilles back together and treatment for rabies.

Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Cats are cool...even if they belong to the wife. The Fox is a predator, but a cat is much larger than most of their prey. In fact, some cats might kill the Fox! I suspect the Fox was being a dog and instinctively chasing the cat. The fox will likely regret actually catching the cat. The size of the fox and cat are also relevant...it's a jungle out there.

Posts: 1968 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
What does the fox say?

Jacha-chacha-chacha-chow!
Chacha-chacha-chacha-chow!
Chacha-chacha-chacha-chow!"

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'd say that it depends on the cat. Here is a picture of Henry, a 19 lb. cat we had for 15 years that beat the crap out of a raccoon a number of years ago.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post