Find
Notify
Tools

Cat vs. Fox Login/Join 
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Fox = Dog hardware with cat software.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5483 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Besides rabies, mange is a terminal disease affecting fox.

3 S's:
  • Shoot
  • Shovel
  • Shut-up. Even better if you can shut-up while shooting (i.e. suppressed, air gun, cross bow, etc).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    You can avoid shooting the fox and save your (oops, the wife's cat) by keeping the cat indoors.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Too clever by half
    Picture of jigray3
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by cas:
    A good time to get rid of the cat, blame it on the fox.

I startled my wife when I laughed out loud at this. Couldn't share it with her though. Good humor always has an element of truth in it.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Conveniently located directly
    above the center of the Earth
    Picture of signewt
    posted Hide Post
    We live semi-rural. There is usually several fleets of quail resident, and numerous other bird species about.

Periodically we observe an ever growing feral cat population coinciding with decreasing quail density.

Last fall we observed gray fox den within 20 feet of our house. There was a remarkable trimming down of the cat bastards tormenting and eating the bird population, along with stinking up the various berry and flower beds.

Over about 4 or 5 weeks, we were left with gradually fewer fox sightings, ever diminishing cat population ambling thru the estate, and in recent days, a few quail bodies sighted returning.

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    is circumspective
    Picture of vinnybass
    posted Hide Post
    I have a nice resident covey (thirty-ish) of quail in the brush behind my cabin. There are also squirrels, cottontails, jackrabbits, a few neighbor cats, mule deer, elk, bobcats, and wandering through pretty regularly, cougars.

It seems the foxes keep the squirrels, rabbits, and hares in check. The bobcats (verified on camera) & cougars keep the foxes in check. The cougars get a deer pretty regularly, as well. What no one seems to manage are the quail. There is a lot of ground cover so I guess that explains it. Aside from the covey by my house, there seem to be similarly sized groups every few hundred yards all over the area.

Additionally the neighbor had two cats go missing recently. Who knows who got them.

Strangely, I've only ever seen one coyote up there, a couple of years ago,

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5483 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Eye on the
    Silver Lining
    posted Hide Post
    Yeah, I had a small dog that used to routinely tree bears in our yard. Never had a problem, but..

If the day came that a bear got really pissed off, then the dog would have just been dead. And so will your cat. “Game”ness isn’t going to save it from a wild predator, and if the fox backed it onto your porch, then your kitty probably doesn’t want to play.

I’d keep the cat indoors.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post