New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cat vs. Fox Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
The fox is a danger to the cat, at least one that behaves that way is.

Years back we had a cat get into it with a lowly squirrel and need stitches and antibiotics. If there is an altercation with a fox, the best you could hope for would be only minor injuries to your cat and quite possibly a vet bill. Best not to dwell on the potential downsides.

Depending on the laws and ordinances that apply, you might consider either behavior modification or terminal action against the fox.

We have rabies in the woodland creatures here, and so can't tolerate odd behavior lightly.

Noting that we live on a rural, wooded lot and that I am fond of foxes and the other wood-dwellers we see, a fox on my property chasing one of my cats repetitively would get stopped, one way or another.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
You gotta learn to play the banjo.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5483 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep the cat indoors, where it belongs. No cat outside, no fox problem with the cat.

Posts: 295 | Location: Rocky Mountains | Registered: January 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also-

Posts: 295 | Location: Rocky Mountains | Registered: January 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'd understand wanting to shoot the fox, but the fact that it holds off when the cat gets to your steps makes it sound like your cat's been getting close to the fox' kits or something.
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Here is a picture of Henry, a 19 lb. cat we had for 15 years that beat the crap out of a raccoon a number of years ago.

Eek I like all kinds of cats, but dang, Henry's a bad ass cat.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I'd understand wanting to shoot the fox, but the fact that it holds off when the cat gets to your steps makes it sound like your cat's been getting close to the fox' kits or something.
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Here is a picture of Henry, a 19 lb. cat we had for 15 years that beat the crap out of a raccoon a number of years ago.

Eek I like all kinds of cats, but dang, Henry's a bad ass cat.

Yeah, nothing on the property messed with him. My wife and I called him 'the mini panther' for obvious reasons.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wanna borrow my crossbow for just a bit? Big Grin

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I agree with Joel. It's live and let live. But no way I let my pet be terrorized on his own patch. One way or another.

That is weird ass behavior for a fox. Ordinarily they are pretty skittish and rarely even seen, and even then not for long.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
Wanna borrow my crossbow for just a bit? Big Grin

Indeed, I’m inside of city limits and therefore firearms, even if suppressed = No Bueno. (I have considered an .25 air rifle.)

There aren’t any cats in my neighborhood as we have a huge wilderness reserve in my neighborhood down to the water; where big fluffy coyotes inhabit. When they yelp, it’s chaos around here. But they stop pretty quick after the barking begins.

All that’s left are large dogs. Mine go out paired. Definitely no cats and small dogs (raptors here too). Tons of songbirds though. Nature.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Unless it's a really tough cat, the fox will likely kill it eventually.

They might fight a few times before hand and the cat will no doubt get jacked up. Seen it firsthand.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6976 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
IMO you’d be doing the mangy fox a favor to end his mangy existence.

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That fox is definitely planning on eating your cat. If he was not large enough, he would bring another fox for some help. Better dispatch it, trap it, or your cat will be dinner.

There are many foxes where I live, and they have been quite friendly.

-c1steve

Posts: 4057 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
What does the fox say?

Wear the fox hat?
https://youtu.be/kb0kiiB3O-o

God bless America.

Posts: 13507 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Risk of rabies maybe?

Always top of mind for us. My mother was attacked by a rabid raccoon. It latched on to her lower leg while she was gardening and wouldn't let go until a neighbor 2 doors down showed up with a shovel and beat it until it to let go. Mom required surgery to put her calf and achilles back together and treatment for rabies.

That's crazy scary. Rabies is nasty, medically dangerous stuff.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
The fox will kill and eat your cat. All anecdotes about cats beating up raccoons etc are just that, one off anecdotes. Either kill the fox or keep your cat inside.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ I completely agree. Coon's are notorious cat killers. Like to drown them.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Coon's are notorious cat killers. Like to drown them.

Exactly. Who's your money on? Fluffy with her 1/4 inch claws that has spent her entire life being delivered food, kisses, pats, and a warm bed, or a wild carnivore that brawls for it's life everyday?

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I let my 6 lb Chihuahua out the back door a dozen times a day to pee and chase Squirrels . One afternoon I walked out on the deck to call him back inside and saw him in the neighbors yard . Not unusual when he's in hot pursuit . Then I saw a young Red Fox running around with him . I swear I think they were playing . Nope ! That's not happening . I got him back inside and haven't seen the Fox anymore .

Posts: 4063 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A good time to get rid of the cat, blame it on the fox.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I had a gray fox patrolling my yard. It was a healthy fox and actually helped to control the squirrel population in the immediate area. The fox was mostly nocturnal, but I was able to photograph it in daylight. What I learned is that a fox can actually climb trees and get to a squirrel. That fox almost decimated the local squirrel population and kept them away for about 2 years. Then he moved. Now the squirrels are again becoming a nuisance!

Fox, Fox, come back!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post