SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Longshoreman strike question
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Longshoreman strike question Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking the strike won't last long. There's a lot of money tied up on the ships so the port management will feel the pressure.

On the other hand, no matter how much strike stipend the workers get, inflation has eaten up its value, they can't last long either.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20075 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
In any case, consumers are about to take it in the posterior.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yup, pretty much how this always shakes out.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
MANNERS

Speak your piece, but do so in a polite manner.

I don't agree with what he said, but I also don't think he's serious. You could- and here's a radical idea- ask him to clarify, and if he says he's serious, then you can break out the Wiffle bat.

Balzé,

It was a stupid joke given the absurdity of what they are asking. I don't feel that someone unloading freight is worth that much pay. I have a college degree, master electrician license, a dozen various certifications and many years of experience. I do not earn what these people do, nor do I have their benefits. Give me 30 days on the job training and I am certain I could replace one.

Unloading things is not rocket science. Learn to be safe, move heavy things, learn equipment.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21141 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I really hope the people in NC, TN, GA and FL don't need anything from overseas to rebuild with. Joe and the Ho could have stopped this strike, but are scared $#!tless of losing another union this close to an election.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3632 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unions helped build this country but I they have been taken over by pure greed.

Years ago, I met Jimmy Hoffa. After shaking hands with him, someone said "count your fingers to make sure you still have all of them."

Posts: 7116 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Re the automation debate:
Not all jobs can be replaced by automation today but as time goes on an lot of jobs can & will be automated. Dock workers, manufacturing, hell even McDonald's is automating. Much of the manufacturing is leaving this country due to labor cost and EPA regulations. EPA regulations are a large part of manufacturing leaving.

So the question then becomes what are workers going to do for income?
Go on welfare?
They can't all mow lawns for a living.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4245 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It’s my understanding that the dock operations in other countries put ours to shame as far as the technology use and the efficiency and the speed, we are still stuck in the 1930s and they are in the 21st century.

Too many of these unions have had it so good for so long that they have no clue how the rest of the country lives now. The fact that they are demanding premium healthcare where they pay little or none is absurd. My health plan through a major employer is a horrible HDHP where I have to pay everything out of pocket and that’s just the reality now since Obamacare.

Posts: 34641 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Balzé,

It was a stupid joke given the absurdity of what they are asking. I don't feel that someone unloading freight is worth that much pay. I have a college degree, master electrician license, a dozen various certifications and many years of experience. I do not earn what these people do, nor do I have their benefits. Give me 30 days on the job training and I am certain I could replace one.

Unloading things is not rocket science. Learn to be safe, move heavy things, learn equipment.

I fired that off right before I rolled over and fell asleep. I woke up knowing it'd probably be too late to delete. Para is right. The harshness was not necessary.

Sal Mercogliano breaks it down. The ILA does have some valid concerns or points its making, but I've never supported strikes. Seems like the ILA was determined to go on strike no matter what.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
Re the automation debate:
Not all jobs can be replaced by automation today but as time goes on an lot of jobs can & will be automated. Dock workers, manufacturing, hell even McDonald's is automating. Much of the manufacturing is leaving this country due to labor cost and EPA regulations. EPA regulations are a large part of manufacturing leaving.

So the question then becomes what are workers going to do for income?
Go on welfare?
They can't all mow lawns for a living.

EPA regs are a part of jobs leaving, so are labor costs. Auto Workers wanted/got a raise and a 32 hour work week. The system can only take so much before it collapses.

Posts: 7116 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Unions helped build this country but I they have been taken over by pure greed.

Years ago, I met Jimmy Hoffa. After shaking hands with him, someone said "count your fingers to make sure you still have all of them."

I began my UAW membership at GM in Aug of 1969, I am still a member but retired from being an active member in 2012.

While I agree in principle with the greed comment it not just the unions engaging in the greed free for all.
Using my former employer as an example why does Mary Barra (sp?) deserve upwards of $30 million a year. I think there are many people that could be the CEO of GM, she is not the only one.
I recall reading, years ago, of a CEO of Greentree financial (I think thats the name) that made $100 million of pay, stocks, & bonuses in single year.
Greed is everywhere.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4245 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
The dock workers have a nice side business of smuggling containers in with stuff that isn't legal. That's a big reason they don't want automation or cameras.

I know of no other industry where unionized workers can demand "no automation".

Posts: 4953 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
The dock workers have a nice side business of smuggling containers in with stuff that isn't legal. That's a big reason they don't want automation or cameras.

Been watching the 2nd season of The Wire, have you?

In all seriousness, I'm sure some of that might be going on, but I'm not sure it's a big reason why theyre fighting automation.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
I know of no other industry where unionized workers can demand "no automation".

Wow... I hadn't thought of that.
Of course it makes sense. Some of them, at least, are paid off by smugglers.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24633 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Give their jobs to illegal immigrants, they will do it for 1/4 the price.

Now hang on a second......

Unions like the ILWU endorsed Kamala. Why should they then be exempt from Kamala's policies? Why do they get to support a candidate and then isolate themselves from what their candidate stands for?

Perhaps an example should be made. If you support those that support flooding the nation with cheap labor, then maybe you should be replaced with that cheap labor that you supported being here. Might make others think twice.

To steal a concept from the movie Hot Tub Time Machine: You chooze it, you dooze it!

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15861 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 34641 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The influence and presence of organized crime in the longshoreman work environment and unions has long been documented. I am sure that there is plenty of smuggling going on as well, maybe even more of the deadly fentanyl coing in via this route than over the border.

And, as far as the unions go, it isn't so much the wage rates as the work rules that they have imposed on the employers. Situations where "workers" are collecting quadruple overtime for sitting at home watching TV have been reported with some longshoremen making upwards of $400K per year.

Posts: 6789 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Right now is Christmas in the ports (i.e. when they start filling stores and warehouses for Christmas) and it wouldn't be the first time the longshoreman decided to fuck up people's Christmas's by striking. They did it in Port of Los Angeles and Long Beach when I lived in SoCal.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23689 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
In the mid 1970s, my father was giving my young self a tour of an EMD diesel-electric locomotive. He pointed to a chair and said:

“This is where the fireman sits”.
“He puts out fires?,” I asked.
“No”, he replied, “he tends the fire.”
“What fire?”, I inquired.
“The ones that trains used to have when they were steam powered”, he explained. “Due to the union contract, we still have a fireman, but his only job is to ride in the cab”.

That job has since be negotiated away, but it took decades to do so, and I’m sure it cost dearly in concessions.

This was an eye opener for me about the nature of unions, and was key in forming my opinion of them in my youth. Subsequent personal experience with them has only reinforced my option that they are self-serving, arrogant pricks, who would rather kill an industry than negotiate fair and honestly. Automate the whole affair. I have zero sympathy for them.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8276 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
As a self employed contractor whose had 60+ IBEW "union grievances" filed against me for using a screw driver to open an electrical panel, I'm sitting this one out. Roll Eyes

These F'n people...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6372 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post