SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Longshoreman strike question
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Longshoreman strike question Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
How do I get a 62% raise? I have to exceed expectations to get 3% and need to be graded exceptional to get 4%. It would take me over a decade with perfect work reviews (impossible) to get a 62% raise.

FUCK. THESE. PEOPLE.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21141 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
International Longshoremen’s Association ends port strike after reaching wages agreement

https://justthenews.com/nation..._campaign=newsletter

US Port Workers Agree To End Strike After Accepting 62% Wage Increase

https://www.zerohedge.com/mark...ing-62-wage-increase

The breakthrough came after port employers offered a 62% increase in wages over six years, the WSJ reported citing people familiar with the matter. The new offer, up from an earlier proposed raise of 50%, came after the White House privately and publicly pressed the large shipping lines and cargo terminal operators who employ the longshore workers to make a new offer to the union.

Posts: 13115 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'm all for blue collar workers making what they can. Considering the cash higher ed and .gov workers pull down for destroying this country........yeah, not bothered on the money issue at all.

Long term these dudes jobs are going away no matter how hard they squeeze us currently. Thats reality.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1971 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the 'give their jobs to illegal aliens' trip, and not picking on any particular demographic - but in south Florida there were plenty of illegals to choose from in multiple ethnic varieties.

In the construction trades that I mixed with, illegals or non-skilled day laborers were 100% the least paid / least trusted / least valued dudes on every single job I saw them on. Not what one would consider optimal for replacing skilled employees with even if you found a couple that were teachable.

<><

Posts: 1971 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I exceed goal almost every year and am lucky to get a 3% raise unless I jump to a new company. Must be nice.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7161 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
On the 'give their jobs to illegal aliens' trip, and not picking on any particular demographic - but in south Florida there were plenty of illegals to choose from in multiple ethnic varieties.

In the construction trades that I mixed with, illegals or non-skilled day laborers were 100% the least paid / least trusted / least valued dudes on every single job I saw them on. Not what one would consider optimal for replacing skilled employees with even if you found a couple that were teachable.

I'll field this one since I said it out of jest/frustration. You wouldn't choose the day labors to replace them, too much training needed. You'd select the heavy equipment operators and crane operators that are making under $100k per year. It would be a much abbreviated training process since they already know how to run the equipment and would only need training on the operation of the specific equipment they are using vs starting from scratch.

You can't literally throw the illegals in there and point to a mountain of conex boxes and tell them to unload them. The point was anyone could work their way up from an apprentice/trainee to do this work. They don't process any innate abilities that the general population doesn't have. The ONLY special skill they have is to grind shipping (and our economy) to a halt. They have that ability because we give it to them and because of the learning curve to have scabs bring replacements up to speed.

They are in no way special, they are a criminal extortion ring that is allowed to operate out of fear.

Please name one thing they can do outside of dock work that would pay any single one of these guys their current pay? A few could get jobs as crane operators earning $150k at best. Where would the other 35-40,000 find a new job that pays a fraction of what they earn? This is why they fear automation and scrutiny at work.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21141 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

I'll field this one since I said it out of jest/frustration. You wouldn't choose the day labors to replace them, too much training needed.

<solfaac: Edited out some comments for brevity>

Please name one thing they can do outside of dock work that would pay any single one of these guys their current pay? A few could get jobs as crane operators earning $150k at best. Where would the other 35-40,000 find a new job that pays a fraction of what they earn? This is why they fear automation and scrutiny at work.

I agree with you on their qualifications, which are quite possibly minimal for the salary they pull down. Very likely luck of the draw, a relative in the local, etc. is how they got in. I spent twenty years in the union & we don't need to go into that, rest assured I'm not pro-union nor an apologist for these dudes. Their greed right now is only gonna hasten the inevitable.

One of my co-workers was a crane operator that crossed over because his work dried up. Dudes like that would be able to do this dock work stuff easily, I agree. I personally never considered heavy equipment work because I like what I do (industrial hvac / building automation).

I was able to raise 4 kids as a single-income family in south Florida, which is NOT easy to do so I see the inequity a lot of us may feel due to their pay rates, but am more inclined to view that through the comparison to the other disciplines I cited.

The main thing I didn't understand was the call to replace them with illegals (you weren't the only member saying that). They're literally here in the country illegally which should make them anathema - not a weapon of opportunity for people we currently oppose.

<><

posted Hide Post
quote:
How do I get a 62% raise? I have to exceed expectations to get 3% and need to be graded exceptional to get 4%. It would take me over a decade with perfect work reviews (impossible) to get a 62% raise.

FUCK. THESE. PEOPLE.

Get a union with a boss that openly threatens to cripple the country. Easy.

Posts: 4971 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Hire some people and start training them. Then fire all of these idiots. They're terrorists. I'm sure there are plenty of Americans who would work for their wages as it stands now.

Posts: 13311 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not know what these guys are currently paid nor when their previous agreement was negotiated. I do know that I belong to a union and the agreement we work under was settled before inflation made the dollar worth half of what was just a few years ago. I am effectively getting a pay cut every day. The increases do not cover inflation. I expect the next agreement should include similar drastic increases. Just in time for me to retire and after going backward for years. A union member can't really bounce around and get big raises unless they are a pretty special guy. The raises in the agreement should at the least track inflation.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 398 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The sooner they're replaced with machines, the better.

Yes, I realize what I'm saying, and I'll say it again: The sooner these FUCKING ASSHOLES are replaced with machines, the better.

Posts: 109154 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The work of a longshoreman is dangerous and you must be drug free. Accidents happen frequently and life long injuries are not uncommon. I have done manual labor and it is not pleasant. It is a good paying job for a high school graduate. Locally you have to be connected to get work. They work under all manner of condtions and have to get the ship unloaded asap
Working 16 hours is not uncommon
I say they should get as much as they can,

Posts: 17528 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you work for somebody you are subject to their rules. The sky is the limit when you work for yourself

Posts: 17528 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I say they should get as much as they can,
Enjoy wiping your ass with a sock.

Posts: 109154 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Anyone think those clowns are hard working? Two of the jobs I had exposed me to ports in Europe and the US. Something I heard more than once while talking to ships crews, they hated Europe and Asia but loved going into port in the US.

Why? Because outside the US they would never even have time to get off the ship. I would watch ships come into port from my office in the morning and be gone by the time I got off work.

They loved the states because they usually took days to get offloaded and loaded, and that gave them time to get off the ship.

In Germany, they had vans that would meet them on the pier so they could buy stuff, I have even seen them deliver girls(legal) because those guys did not have time to get off the boat.

Posts: 3789 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Interesting, nothing in the story regarding use of automation. Here is a possible scenario.

With container ships a big part of the job is lifting the containers and moving them from ship to ground transport or ground transport to ship. It is a clearly defined, repetitive activity. Exactly the sweet spot for automation. What's more, automation will be smoother and more precise than a human. A projected 62% increase introduces a faster ROI. It wouldn't be out to the question to agree to a huge increase when one knows that automation is the card up the sleeve.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 743 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
quote:

I'll field this one since I said it out of jest/frustration. You wouldn't choose the day labors to replace them, too much training needed.

<solfaac: Edited out some comments for brevity>

I agree with you on their qualifications, which are quite possibly minimal for the salary they pull down. Very likely luck of the draw, a relative in the local, etc. is how they got in. I spent twenty years in the union & we don't need to go into that, rest assured I'm not pro-union nor an apologist for these dudes. Their greed right now is only gonna hasten the inevitable.

One of my co-workers was a crane operator that crossed over because his work dried up. Dudes like that would be able to do this dock work stuff easily, I agree. I personally never considered heavy equipment work because I like what I do (industrial hvac / building automation).

I was able to raise 4 kids as a single-income family in south Florida, which is NOT easy to do so I see the inequity a lot of us may feel due to their pay rates, but am more inclined to view that through the comparison to the other disciplines I cited.

The main thing I didn't understand was the call to replace them with illegals (you weren't the only member saying that). They're literally here in the country illegally which should make them anathema - not a weapon of opportunity for people we currently oppose.

Because I view illegals as worthless and I put their value on par with them. I don't actually want to employee illegals. I wouldn't even hire one at Home Depot to dig a ditch. In fact last time I needed a ditch dug I paid an agency to send two legal guys to do it. I paid them more per hour than I earn to do manual labor as a matter of principle.

You could hire a trained monkey to do their job with enough training. They literally move boxes for a living. They WILL be replaced by robots. This action only hastens it. Their only value is the lead time to replace them. They know ripping the bandaid off will hurt, that is their ONLY reason for not being replaced by robots yet.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jed7s9b:

I do not know what these guys are currently paid

I read it’s 6 figures for most of them PLUS lots of OT pay.

Posts: 34641 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
US Port Workers Agree To End Strike After Accepting 62% Wage Increase

Shutting down a country for a 62% wage increase is extortion. There is no other way to describe it. No other job segment other than a UAW organized one could demand a ridiculous wage increase like that.

Good for the workers right? Is that what you said? Do you think the people who run the ports are just going to take that as a financial hit and all will be good? Every dollar of that 62% increase will be poured into fees which means the price of everything going through a port increases. Way to fight inflation. Good job.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38243 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
Interesting, nothing in the story regarding use of automation. Here is a possible scenario.

With container ships a big part of the job is lifting the containers and moving them from ship to ground transport or ground transport to ship. It is a clearly defined, repetitive activity. Exactly the sweet spot for automation. What's more, automation will be smoother and more precise than a human. A projected 62% increase introduces a faster ROI. It wouldn't be out to the question to agree to a huge increase when one knows that automation is the card up the sleeve.

Balze, I get the wage increase.
What say you about the automation?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24633 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post