SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Elon Musk buys 73 million shares of Twitter, becomes largest stockholder
Page 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 71
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elon Musk buys 73 million shares of Twitter, becomes largest stockholder Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Elon Musk Shocks World: “I’ve hired a new CEO for Twitter, she will be starting in 6 weeks”

David Hawkins | May 11, 2023

Twitter boss Elon Musk has picked a new CEO to run his social media company and he is taking a subtle swipe at his critics in the process. Musk said:

“Excited to announce that I’ve hired a new CEO for X/Twitter. She will be starting in ~6 weeks! My role will transition to being exec chair & CTO, overseeing product, software & sysops.”

It will be hard for AOC and Rachel Maddow and the rest to trash a woman-run tech company as there are so few. But my guess is they will try but it will backfire and show their true colors.

At least James Woods thinks so. He complimented Musk on getting Tucker Carlson to launch his show on Twitter instead of cable:

“Elon Musk has a business sense unmatched in the modern era. He has rebirthed liberal swamp Twitter as the planet’s free speech town hall.

“Getting Tucker Carlson may be the turning point.

“It’s possible all the corporate media and their parade of liberal fluffers are finally dead.”

But he also warned Musk and his new CEO the left will be coking for him as the election heats up.

He said:

“A year and a half before the election and I predict the left will do everything in its power to cripple Twitter, legally or otherwise.

“They will try legislation, executive order, deplatforming, internet malfunction, lawsuits, anything to silence free speech on America’s Forum.”

Musk also announced that Twitter will now encrypt direct messages so that even if someone had a gun to Musk’s head he couldn’t read them.

“With latest version of app, you can DM reply to any message in the thread (not just most recent) and use any emoji reaction.

“Release of encrypted DMs V1.0 should happen tomorrow. This will grow in sophistication rapidly. The acid test is that I could not see your DMs even if there was a gun to my head.

“Coming soon will be voice and video chat from your handle to anyone on this platform, so you can talk to people anywhere in the world without giving them your phone number.

“Early version of encrypted direct messages just launched.

“Try it, but don’t trust it yet.”

Q

Posts: 27514 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Elon Musk Hires Ultra Woke Linda Yaccarino as CEO of Twitter – Former Head of NBCUniversal Advertising – WEF Board Member – Pioneer of DEI (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion) Wokeism

Elon Musk has reportedly hired Linda Yaccarino as the CEO of Twitter. Unfortunately, this decision is the exact opposite of what everyone hoped about Musk’s intentions with the platform.

Ms. Yaccarino is the head of NBCUniversal Advertising and Partnerships [Example Here], and she is the tip of the spear in the creation of DEI (Diversity Equity and Inclusion) indexing and corporate scoring. You might be familiar with ‘DEI’ as a result of the Bud Light woke advertising campaign to promote beer for transgenders. Well, that’s DEI in action, and Ms. Yaccarino is one of the pioneers in the advertising industry.

Additionally, Linda Yaccarino is the Chairwoman of the World Economic Forum’s (WEF) Taskforce on Future of Work. As she noted in her position, “every CEO and executive needs to look inward, and build workplaces that ensure our employees, current and future, can always succeed amid rapid transformation.” Overlaying the Diversity Equity and Inclusion mindset, you will note Yaccarino says, “long-term benefits for the unemployed, women, and communities of color.”

Why would Elon Musk bring the most woke NBC advertising executive to become the CEO of Twitter? Obviously, he is focused on generating revenue, and Yaccarino can bring woke credentials to the platform luring corporate advertisers. Unfortunately, in order to achieve that objective, the platform content will have to be modified.

That means the public square of Twitter needs to become a platform of non-controversial NPCs (Non Player Characters) which generally are identified in memes [SEE HERE]. The content on Twitter must fit an approved standard for advertising. Leading this effort to control platform content through the control of the monetization, is literally what Yaccarino has done in her work at NBCUniversal. Thus, her efforts to promote DEI take on a new level of importance.

https://theconservativetreehou...wokeism/#more-246605

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Musk is a political entrepreneur at his core. Selecting Yaccarino is a bad sign for Twitter as a viable free speech platform. I can foresee Twitter becoming an Americanized version of WeChat.

Musk also follows the PRC party line to preserve access to rare earth metals needed for vehicle batteries. He's no friend to American strategic interests, even if he occasionally tweets a based meme or two.

Posts: 774 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Elon Musk has reportedly hired Linda Yaccarino as the CEO of Twitter. Unfortunately, this decision is the exact opposite of what everyone hoped about Musk’s intentions with the platform.

I still don't have a Twitter account.
If this information regarding Yaccarino as the CEO of Twitter is correct, I still won't have a Twitter account in the future... even if it's the only place to see Tucker Carlson.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HKAngusKL:
He's no friend to American strategic interests

Today America's no friend to American strategic interests.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13490 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Elon Musk faces backlash over new Twitter boss

By James Titcomb
12 May 2023 • 2:27pm

Elon Musk is facing a backlash from supporters on Twitter amid reports he will appoint an advertising executive associated with the World Economic Forum (WEF) to run the social media site.

The billionaire has been criticised by users, some of who had previously been banned for spreading misinformation and conspiracy theories, over his reported decision to hire Linda Yaccarino, who currently works for the US media giant NBCUniversal, as Twitter's new chief executive.

Ms Yaccarino chairs a WEF taskforce on the future of work and helped develop a pro-vaccination advertising campaign.

The WEF runs an annual summit for the super-rich in the Swiss town of Davos and has become a target for baseless conspiracy theories that claim it is attempting to create a new world order.

Opposition to Ms Yaccarino's appointment is being led by users who were previously blocked from Twitter for spreading misinformation, but were allowed back on the site when their bans were overturned by Mr Musk.

The actor James Woods, who was banned in 2018 for sharing misleading information about US voting, tweeted: “Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. I wonder how they got to him?”

Jackson Hinkle, a commentator who has criticised support for Ukraine and had been banned from Twitter last year, tweeted: “We’re all getting banned again.”

In response to Twitter user Luke Rudkowsky, who tweeted “here come the shadow bans....again.....”, Mr Musk wrote: “That will not be the case”

Mr Musk, who has pledged to be a champion of free speech, issued a wide-ranging amnesty to banned users including Donald Trump, Kanye West and Jordan Peterson when he bought Twitter for $44bn (£35bn) last year.

Ms Yaccarino has also worked with the Trump administration, serving on a White House sports fitness and nutrition council.

Mr Musk said on Thursday night that he had hired a new chief executive saying “she will be starting in [around] six weeks” without naming who he had appointed.

The Wall Street Journal reported that Ms Yaccarino, who has been at NBC Universal for more than a decade, was in talks to take the role.

NBC Universal, part of the media and telecoms conglomerate Comcast, owns the Universal movie studio, the TV network NBC and the streaming service Peacock.

Ms Yaccarino is one of the 32 women that Mr Musk follows on Twitter, and interviewed him at a marketing conference in Miami last month, at which she praised his commitment to free speech.

The move would make Ms Yaccarino one of the most high-profile women in Silicon Valley and give her the uphill task of improving relationships with advertisers.

Twitter depended on advertising for almost all of its revenues before it was sold to Mr Musk last year.

The Tesla billionaire has sought to boost revenues from subscriptions, charging users for verification and other features as well as letting users put some of their tweets behind a paywall.

Analysts at Insider Intelligence have forecast that Twitter’s advertising revenue will fall by 28pc this year, and by 2025 will be 40pc below 2021 levels.

Jasmine Enberg at Insider Intelligence said: “A new CEO is the only way forward for Twitter.

“The single biggest problem with Twitter’s ad business was Elon Musk. As he steps back, Twitter can begin to unravel Musk’s personal brand from the company’s corporate image and attempt to regain trust among advertisers.”

Ms Yaccarino has been a high-profile supporter of Mr Musk in the advertising industry since the takeover and interviewed Mr Musk owner at an advertising conference last month.

Mr Musk has said he will move to being Twitter’s executive chairman and chief technology officer.

Q

Posts: 27514 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I'm willing to give Musk the benefit of the doubt here. It's very possible this new CEO will leave her personal politics at home and also that Musk gave her a list of ironclad rules she may not break or bend in running the place. And outside of that, she could be an excellent executive.

My favorite college professor was a far lefty and I had absolutely no idea about his politics for two years until I saw his name listed on a flyer for a Gulf War protest rally. So people who are good at their jobs can leave their politics at home. And Musk had to know he'd face some backlash for this.

Posts: 3685 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Elon Musk, at times, is a hard guy to figure out.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17154 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chellim1:

Additionally, Linda Yaccarino is the Chairwoman of the World Economic Forum’s (WEF) Taskforce on Future of Work. As she noted in her position, “every CEO and executive needs to look inward, and build workplaces that ensure our employees, current and future, can always succeed amid rapid transformation.” Overlaying the Diversity Equity and Inclusion mindset, you will note Yaccarino says, “long-term benefits for the unemployed, women, and communities of color.”
-----------------------

So, no long term benefits for me. Am I missing something here? Will my life be better by doing this by "improving" these people with a free ride? They won't have to work as hard to get ahead?

Posts: 1368 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
This is a puzzler. Confused

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39230 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I don't understand. He bought twitter to rescue it from the uber left, and places an uber left person in charge?

I'm going to guess this
quote:
Yaccarino says, “long-term benefits for the unemployed, women, and communities of color.

means that if you're a white guy, cross twitter off your list of potential employers.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
'She starts in six weeks'.

Can we possibly hope that he made this announcement ahead of time, anticipating the backlash, so he can react to it and select someone more appropriate? Or at least with less predictable bullsh*t?

Also, maybe he turned her, and she has seen the light?
I know I know, vampires don't change back.

Posts: 7392 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
From 12131’s post this quote below really points to the mindset of Musk when making the decision. Acquiring Tucker and a left leaning CEO could potentially make it harder for others to go after Twitter without exposing themselves. Twitter can say it is seeking balance with an acquisition of two very differently minded people compared to the corporate media’s hard left echo chamber.

quote:
“Excited to announce that I’ve hired a new CEO for X/Twitter. She will be starting in ~6 weeks! My role will transition to being exec chair & CTO, overseeing product, software & sysops.”

It will be hard for AOC and Rachel Maddow and the rest to trash a woman-run tech company as there are so few. But my guess is they will try but it will backfire and show their true colors.

At least James Woods thinks so. He complimented Musk on getting Tucker Carlson to launch his show on Twitter instead of cable:

“Elon Musk has a business sense unmatched in the modern era. He has rebirthed liberal swamp Twitter as the planet’s free speech town hall.

“Getting Tucker Carlson may be the turning point.

“It’s possible all the corporate media and their parade of liberal fluffers are finally dead.”

But he also warned Musk and his new CEO the left will be coking for him as the election heats up.

He said:
“A year and a half before the election and I predict the left will do everything in its power to cripple Twitter, legally or otherwise. “They will try legislation, executive order, deplatforming, internet malfunction, lawsuits, anything to silence free speech on America’s Forum.

Musk also announced that Twitter will now encrypt direct messages so that even if someone had a gun to Musk’s head he couldn’t read them.

“With latest version of app, you can DM reply to any message in the thread (not just most recent) and use any emoji reaction.

“Release of encrypted DMs V1.0 should happen tomorrow. This will grow in sophistication rapidly. The acid test is that I could not see your DMs even if there was a gun to my head.

“Coming soon will be voice and video chat from your handle to anyone on this platform, so you can talk to people anywhere in the world without giving them your phone number.

“Early version of encrypted direct messages just launched.

“Try it, but don’t trust it yet.”

It is worth noting that Musk expects attacks from the progressive left even after concessions given by hiring someone more in line with their politics than that of the opposing party.

I have no dog in the fight as I don’t tweet but it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
Originally posted by HKAngusKL:
He's no friend to American strategic interests

Today America's no friend to American strategic interests.
True enough. Elite capture is the phrase of the day. And they were bought cheaply.

Posts: 774 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Remember that Musk is a master tactician; you can bet he has a plan to monitor, control to some degree, and drop the axe on any employee that tries to undermine HIS company.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15791 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
gearhounds, I hope you're right and kind of have to agree with you, but this hire seems to go beyond what I would have thought "strategic".

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39230 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8546 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I'm willing to give
Musk the benefit of the doubt here. It's very possible this new CEO will leave her personal politics at home and also that Musk gave her a list of ironclad rules she may not break or bend in running the place.
<snip>

Ditto.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9437 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Remember what the acquisition price was for Twitter?

Musk isn't going to absorb the ongoing costs by himself (he probably doesn't want to take the risk against his remaining liquid assets) so Twitter needs to embrace the financial markets for related debt payments, continuing Opex and have ready access to good credit. Recall also Musk has indicated multiple times that he was surprised just how much fat was on the bone at Twitter and by the # of advertisers that withdrew from the platform post-acquisition. All of which means he needs a confirmed ESG advocate at Twitter's helm.

The teachers unions strike at America once again.

Posts: 3371 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Recall also Musk has indicated multiple times that he was surprised just how much fat was on the bone at Twitter and by the # of advertisers that withdrew from the platform post-acquisition. All of which means he needs a confirmed ESG advocate at Twitter's helm.

Yes.

It was a liberal echo chamber, once they kicked off Donald Trump and most conservatives for "violating terms of service/misinformation".

The liberals liked it as their own echo chamber, and Musk shook that up. The corporate media is controlled by the same liberal echo chamber, but Musk needs the advertising dollars.

Yes, he's trying to play both sides and profit.

-rduckwor