SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Elon Musk buys 73 million shares of Twitter, becomes largest stockholder
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 71
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elon Musk buys 73 million shares of Twitter, becomes largest stockholder Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
One can only hope ol' Elon initiates a massive purge of leftist rabble there starting with that jackwad Agrawal that replaced that unkept moron Dorsey.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16143 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
He should sell quick.

Then buy it again in a couple months. Repeat as warranted. Destabilize the whole thing.

You are giving financial advice to the richest man in the world?

There are ~2500 billionaires. Of those 2500 only 11 are worth over 100 billion.

Per Forbes COB yesterday, Elon Musk's net worth was ~300.2 Billion...
...100 Billion higher than that 2nd place light weight Jeff Bezos. Big Grin

THE REAL-TIME BILLIONAIRES LIST

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Wakes up one morning...hmmm, I think I'll buy twitter today.

Love it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30287 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Wakes up one morning...hmmm, I think I'll buy twitter today.

Love it.

Next week, buy-up Disney stock and start to 'lean-in'

Posts: 14555 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
This is not too dissimilar to Bezos buying the Washington Post a few years ago except it is several orders of magnitudes more effective.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't get all the excitement here. Twitter was dying out. As soon as Twitter started censoring information and banning those who went against their agenda people saw their true colors and it was the beginning of the end.

Something like 95%+ of all tweets and interactions are by <10% of its users and bots. It's an echo chamber for the biggest losers society has to offer and they have nothing better to do than check their feed every 2 minutes to see what they can fight about next. Twitter was becoming the island of misfit toys and now with Musk making a long term investment it is in his best interests to make sure Twitter is still relevant. Fuck him and fuck Twitter.

Posts: 789 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27816 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Let's put EM's move into perspective:

$2.89 billion is ~ 1% of Musk's net worth and I believe the investment is strategic, not financially motivated.

It's far faster (and perhaps cheaper) for Musk to buy into a publicly traded "public square/cryer" platform than to build one from scratch and attempt to generate followers.

A classic buy vs build decision as to whether Monk should participate in/run a "public square/cryer" platform. Far faster to buy into an existing firm and potentially control it as an important, minority stakeholder Like it or not, Twitter has first mover advantage over other platforms and is still the dominant self-publication app. It's easy for conservatives to rejoin if they see it headed in the right direction.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:

It's easy for conservatives to rejoin if they see it headed in the right direction.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

Posts: 789 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I don't think Musk is doing this for the "Public Good." Twitter, despite it's high profile and wide use, has been something of a dumpster fire from a business perspective. A quick look at the stock shows negative EPS, so it's losing money. Musk may try to get control of it, whip it into shape, pump up the stock price and sell for a profit.
Look at what happened since the Musk announcement. Twitter shares jumped 25% netting Musk somewhere right around $1B in profits, if he sold out. He's already way ahead. Like him or hate him, Musk is a wildcard, just like Trump, and totally uncontrollable and unpredictable. His disdain for Twitter is well known, so I hope he takes his newly acquired shares of Twitter and makes Agrawal and his management team's lives a living hell going forward.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kho:
He saw this as a profitable investment opportunity, not to take over the world. You can never have enough billions.
Except you totally missed one obvious issue....when you're someone with Musk's money, he has a dozen investment opportunities a week come across his email where he can make this (if not more) money. No, I think this purchase was not solely about making money. I think (at least I hope ) he has designs on pushing Twitter in a direction they currently don't want to go.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The millennials melting down there must be torrid.

Posts: 13791 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
If only Trump had $3 billion to play with...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30287 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33583 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, adios, shithead.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Elon Musk tweeted his first words since news broke on Monday that he purchased a 9.2% stake in the social media company.

"Oh hi lol" Musk, now Twitter’s largest shareholder, said in a tweet.

Posts: 19495 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
One of the best things that can happen to twatter here is for all the brainwashed leftist morons to take the road the above outraged cog did- quit. The fewer “old” twitter folks there, the better.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
If EM's Twitter position results in it getting fixed, I can see me signing up again. I shall wait and see.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25999 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:

It's easy for conservatives to rejoin if they see it headed in the right direction.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

... and All that is necessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome...somebody was triggered and self-selected themselves.

Posts: 14555 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post