SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Salvation Army bell ringers - not seeing any?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Salvation Army bell ringers - not seeing any? Login/Join 
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
They're out in their usual spots here, again this year.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2094 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen much of them around here, come to think of it.

Noted from their "internal" racism discussion document:

"WHAT IS RACISM?
DEFINITION
The prejudiced treatment, stereotyping
or discrimination of POC on the basis of
race. Racism also refers to the system of social
advantage and disadvantage or privilege and
oppression that is based on race.8 Racism is a
marriage of racist policies and racist ideas that
produces and normalizes racial inequities."

So based on their definition, it's impossible for POC to be racist because whitey is not a color?

Imma be keeping my small bills for another contribution, I think.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
Finally saw one last Friday. I had a spare $20 in my wallet and put it in the kettle. But I've been tossing their mailings to me in the waste can for some time. Call me Scrooge, but that may be all they get me from this year.

Is there something you feel you must atone for that you would waste money in such a frivolous way? You give the meth heads money at the off ramps too I bet.
Give your money to a homeless shelter or purchase food for them if you really want to do good and not just "feel good". Feeling good is for the leftists and children.
Not $.05 of that 20 got to anyone who deserves it.

NO, I do not give the meth heads money, and I give quite a bit of money/food to food pantries. You don't know me. I think you need to walk your post back a bit. And last I checked I was giving 15% of my income to my local church.

Posts: 3226 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That was a bit over the line, Ryan.

Posts: 107706 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I give my donations to one trusted organization that can prove that more than 90% makes it to the needy. I’ll give to an individual if I am so prompted from within myself. I’ll provide service to almost anyone. The Salvation Army lost me last year. I’ll politely pass right by the bucket.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't see any in front of the local Target store.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
As posted in the previous thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
But it comes with a handy coupon book.
Here ya go. An 8x11 PDF is linked to this smaller JPEG

https://avatarhost.files.wordp...ne-white-apology.pdf

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24166 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I threw some money in the kettle the other day as I appreciated the young girls standing in the cold and singing Christmas songs and ringing the bell.

Posts: 426 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^okay changing the bell ringers to hooters girls might affect donations. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
"WHAT IS RACISM?"
The prejudiced treatment, stereotyping
or discrimination of POC on the basis of
race. Racism also refers to the system of social
advantage and disadvantage or privilege and
oppression that is based on race.8 Racism is a
marriage of racist policies and racist ideas that
produces and normalizes racial inequities."

So based on their definition, it's impossible for POC to be racist because whitey is not a color?

No, a POC can still be racist toward other POC's (Uncle Tom). But it does completely ignore the idea of reverse racism that is becoming so prevalent.
quote:
Imma be keeping my small bills for another contribution, I think.

Yep. Big ones and small ones both.

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^okay changing the bell ringers to hooters girls might affect donations. Big Grin

Then I'll toss my money at the lovely ladies at the strip club $1 at a time, but not a dime of mine goes into that bucket. At least I've got a 33% chance of my money going to something worth while.

It's a shame too, they used to do some good stuff.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8362 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I saw two today... two of the saddest sacks I've ever seen doing it. Both older African American women. One, (besides hearing the annoying bell) I recognized why she was there. She had the hanging money pot and half the "uniform".

At the other door to the grocery store, the other, a large unhealthy looking woman was siting slumped over in a chair, looking like she was ready to fall out of it. If not for the bell I'd have assumed this was just some random homeless person hanging out by the door.

Posts: 21121 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen two so far in this rural, small town area. If it were not for the bell and pot, I would have thought both were homeless. A very sad look.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Had one in front of the local hardware store today. I said nothing to the bell ringer when I went in the store but I didn’t donate.

Posts: 3159 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
I said nothing to the bell ringer when I went in the store..
Those people have as much say over the Salvation Army's screwed up attitude as we do.

Posts: 107706 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post