SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A new take on "don't talk to the police..."
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new take on "don't talk to the police..." Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
This is one of the most brilliant lawyer ads I've ever seen....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12404 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
They made a sequel...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12404 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
That was pretty good!

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
"No matter how innocent you are it's never a good idea to talk to the police."

So, when your spouse or child is missing , and possibly abducted, you're going to wait for your lawyer before helping the cops try to locate them, and/ or apprehend the abductors?

Absolutes, such as, "never talk to the police," don't work well in the real world.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
They forgot "Snitches get stitches".

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37174 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:

So, when your spouse or child is missing , and possibly abducted, you're going to wait for your lawyer before helping the cops try to locate them, and/ or apprehend the abductors?

Absolutes, such as, "never talk to the police," don't work well in the real world.

I bet you're a hit at parties.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's awesome. Big Grin

We all love to bash lawyers until we (or a loved one) need a good one.

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
"Never talk to the police" is the dumbest advice lawyers give. There are more than a few innocent people who have had unnecessary long pre-trial jail time because they refused to say what actually happened to officers on scene. This varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but in my state, it's a misdemeanor crime to arrest someone when it appears they acted in self defense.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
STOP! I'm driving home from the sawmill in my 1966 rust colored 1/2 ton pickup with my old daddy's .38 pistol by my side. Clete and Kevin stop me and even though we have been friends for 30 years they stop me and advise me of my rights since someone driving a rust colored pickup just put a .356 hole thru Maybell's chest at the liquor store.

What to do?

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
If this cop ever needs a lawyer I wont be looking to hire these "professionals". I have found that good lawyers don't need to advertise.

Posts: 7740 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My parents taught me to wave at cops and firemen, they could be the guys that save you life sometime. I don't remember them saying anything about lawyers. I suspect ground level shit knows the truth first hand, thanks.

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
"Never talk to the police" is the dumbest advice lawyers give. There are more than a few innocent people who have had unnecessary long pre-trial jail time because they refused to say what actually happened to officers on scene. This varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but in my state, it's a misdemeanor crime to arrest someone when it appears they acted in self defense.

I would suspect honesty made a difference.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Brilliant ads. Almost makes me like lawyers... Razz

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15491 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you not understand context at all? Clearly, they are talking about when you are, or might be, the accused. Making reports to the police is not what they are talking about.

And those guys are funny. They have other bits out there.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:

Try cases often, do you?

It may be true that there are times when talking to the police is okay. (This probably has a lot less to do with actual innocence than you suspect.) But knowing when those times are and what to say when it happens is impossible to convey to a potential client in advance. It would take a 500 page handbook to even begin to do the subject justice. And how many potential clients will have the smarts and experience to absorb such learning, even if you could give it.

So, the best advice you can give someone in advance who may be talking to the police in such a situation is to keep silent. A lawyer can undo silence, but undoing something that implicates the suspect is real work. And, if they are actually guilty, it may be impossible.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
with that first video in mind what about giving your insurance company a statement when a claim is being made against you?

Posts: 8179 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bless your heart.

Posts: 7094 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A lawyer can undo silence, but undoing something that implicates the suspect is real work. And, if they are actually guilty, it may be impossible.

Wise words.

Posts: 7094 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Do you not understand context at all? Clearly, they are talking about when you are, or might be, the accused. Making reports to the police is not what they are talking about.

And those guys are funny. They have other bits out there.
I understand context just fine, and I also understand their use of "never." In the example I gave, the reporting party is one of many possible suspects, and therefore "might be the accused," later in the investigation. Conversations with the police happen before anyone gets "accused" of a crime, or even "might be accused."

Its easy to say "never" if you're the attorney who doesn't risk anything more than a few billable hours. It's much different for the potential client who has many other risks to consider.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:

Bless your heart.
Right back at you. Roll Eyes