SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A new take on "don't talk to the police..."
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new take on "don't talk to the police..." Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

While in almost EVERY instance jhe, I agree with you, on many, many topics...

In this instance, I think some of the posters, including me, say that ABSOLUTES, such as "NEVER TALK TO THE POLICE" are wrong, and beyond that, foolish advice.

Maybe if we stepped it back a bit, and changed the verbage from "NEVER TALK TO THE POLICE" to "IF YOU THINK YOU MAY BE SUSPECTED OF A CRIME SEEK LEGAL CONSUL BEFORE MAKING ANY STATEMENTS" we would be in much more agreement.

I agree with you - an absolute prohibition isn't always the best plan. But explaining the subtleties of when and what you can safely say is very difficult. And many people won't be able to make the right choices, especially in the stress of having just shot someone. So I think it is still safest to advise that the person say less rather than more. Much less.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
There was a lawyer named James Jeffries who gave advice to FFLs. His point of view was if the FEDS arrive, only give them what you must. Their job is to put you in jail. Your job is to not help them.

The things you were taught as a kid can be dead wrong. The police aren't always your friend. Its Ok when you're 10 to wave at them. Probably not when you're 18 or 20 if you only wave one finger. Its OK to agree when they say its a nice day. Specifics might be more of a problem.

None of us would be better off if the minority community educated their brain trust kids into doing things like no breaking traffic laws when leaving their last stick up. They'd be much better off if their get away car was fully legal, like having all working lights that were used. Or not speeding and making illegal turns.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

While in almost EVERY instance jhe, I agree with you, on many, many topics...

In this instance, I think some of the posters, including me, say that ABSOLUTES, such as "NEVER TALK TO THE POLICE" are wrong, and beyond that, foolish advice.

Maybe if we stepped it back a bit, and changed the verbage from "NEVER TALK TO THE POLICE" to "IF YOU THINK YOU MAY BE SUSPECTED OF A CRIME SEEK LEGAL CONSUL BEFORE MAKING ANY STATEMENTS" we would be in much more agreement.

I agree with you - an absolute prohibition isn't always the best plan. But explaining the subtleties of when and what you can safely say is very difficult. And many people won't be able to make the right choices, especially in the stress of having just shot someone. So I think it is still safest to advise that the person say less rather than more. Much less.

Very true to a point. Factor in the political climate of where you live and it becomes more complicated.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37174 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Admittedly it isn't appropriate in every single situation. In your situation, you'd likely be going to the police for help.

But in a situation where a detective knocks on your door, and ask you to come down to HQ to discuss something, I think I'd tell them it isn't happening without my lawyer present.

quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
"No matter how innocent you are it's never a good idea to talk to the police."

So, when your spouse or child is missing , and possibly abducted, you're going to wait for your lawyer before helping the cops try to locate them, and/ or apprehend the abductors?

Absolutes, such as, "never talk to the police," don't work well in the real world.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Factor in the political climate of where you live and it becomes more complicated.

Locality matters a lot. Here in Houston, if you shoot an obvious burglar the sheriff's deputies (and even the Houston police) are likely to pat you on the back and bring you a donut. They may not even take your gun for evidence. I'd still advise caution.

In Newark, New Jersey, I'd probably give entirely different advice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
are likely to pat you on the back and bring you a donut.

LOL!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12404 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
...Here in Houston, if you shoot an obvious burglar the sheriff's deputies (and even the Houston police) are likely to pat you on the back and bring you a donut. They may not even take your gun for evidence. I'd still advise caution...

I really have to move to Texas! This sort of common sense just doesn't exist in most of the country, especially here in Illinois.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9367 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
http://abc13.com/news/man-susp...y-homeowner/1509358/

This is pretty much the way they handle those. Don't go breaking into people's houses. You're likely to get shot.

There was an old man earlier this year who heard someone open his gate. He went out with his gun to find a kid trying to hook up his trailer and drive off with a 4-wheeler. He started shooting and the kid tried to drive off, but went into the ditch. I think he hit the kid, but it wasn't a serious wound. When the deputies got there, he was holding the kid in the car. The deputy they interviewed clearly was of the attitude that the kid got what he deserved, and said they weren't even taking the gun or the man down to the station.

A convenience store owner came out from the back to find thieves pistol-whipping his brother. He pulled his gun, chased them out of the store and shot into the get away car, killing one and wounding others. No charges.

The Texas self-defense statutes are quite liberal, and even allow the use of deadly force to protect property in many instances.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Kentucky isn't much different.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37174 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post