SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Costco’s return policy and a question on ethics — should I return the grill? *POLL*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Costco’s return policy and a question on ethics — should I return the grill? *POLL* Login/Join 
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted
Am I taking advantage of Costco’s return policy here?

As most people know, Costco probably has the best return policy around. I bought a KitchenAid grill from them 2.5 years ago. The one I have looks slightly different (they’ve since updated the model) and I paid $2,300 + tax (basically $2,500 out the door).

This grill is undercover (sees no rain or other elements) and it’s not wearing very well. The burner knobs are starting to chip / discolor and, more importantly, the grill itself has issues with heating evenly (and one of the burners rarely ignites). The hot spots are annoying. And the flames aren’t nearly big enough in my opinion — takes forever to get HOT.

I’m just generally not satisfied with it. Because of this I’ve probably used it a total of 25 times since I bought it.

Would you return it?

Part of me says it’s an asshole move to return it this late but part of me says the grill should be a whole lot better than this when you drop $2,500.

I obviously already know what I want to do.

Thoughts?

Question:
Should I return the grill to Costco?

Choices:
Yes
No

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I voted 'No', as I think you waited too long. If it was under a year since you bought it, I probably would have voted 'Yes'. It sounds like you knew it wasn't what you wanted early on.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1314 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Part of shopping at Costco, and paying a fee for the priveledge, is their commitment to swing a big stick on your behalf. They will force this return onto the manufacturer, where it belongs, and do so much more quickly and efficiently than you could on your own.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
My general answer to ethical questions like this is if you have to ask, then you probably shouldn't.

Posts: 3666 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Why is this even a question?

Q

Posts: 26517 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
two and a half years? I think you own it IMO.

Posts: 3121 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Two and a half years after purchase..?
Nope.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Nada

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Is it still under manufacturers warranty?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20848 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Some of you may not shop Costco or know much about it.

It’s quite common for members to return years old mattresses / furniture / appliances / etc.

And they take it back no questions asked. They’d take this back in a heart beat.

But sometimes I’m too damn nice.

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:

It’s quite common for members to return years old mattresses / furniture / appliances / etc.

That doesn't mean it is right.

30, 60, maybe 90 days, but 2.5 years is abuse of policy.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

Which is pretty much what he asked for opinions on, but it seems he's already arrived at his decision. Or at least has a strong lean, with rationalization. Frown

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12453 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:

That doesn't mean it is right.

My sentiments.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“It’s quite common for members to return years old mattresses / furniture / appliances / etc.”

I kind of think people who do that are dicks. Things wear out when they’re used.

Posts: 26953 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I would not feel comfortable returning after so long. However, if it is within Costco’s policy only you can decide. I’d agree with others that it should have gone back much sooner, but that’s just me.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's within the policies/terms and conditions of the sale, then I don't think there's anything unethical or immoral about it.

I grew up going to the Kirkland Costco every Saturday morning, this is just part of the membership. They're counting on you not taking advantage of the full terms of the agreement.

For those that say it's "too long," too long according to what? Your own principles? If so, what is the correct limits one should set above the policies that a business puts forth?

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Unless it was special order, it looks like returning it fits Costco's return policy. I could see using it one summer, it rarely getting used over the winter, and returning it in the spring if it was heating unevenly. However, I'm firmly in the camp that it's been too long.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23332 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
You could always leave a review. I can't seem to find any.

Posts: 7382 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I voted no. I spoke to COSTCO management about the cost of their return policy, especially right after some big sports event with big screen tv sets. The manager said just for his store the cost was staggering. They can't resell those items so they end up donating them.

Did you contact the manufacturer? I'd be willing to bet they might send you replacement parts for gratis. That's worked for us with high end kitchen and bathroom plumbing fixtures. We told the companies we were not the original owners. They sent parts gratis for public relations.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
So, has it had heating issues since the beginning? Or did you just not grill out as much as you thought you would and you e got some buyers remorse?

Only using it 25 times in two and a half years is a pretty low amount of uses. I’ve used my grill 25 times since the summer and it’s a $50 kettle.

The cosmetic issues are just normal wear and tear I’d say. If the heating issues are new I’d be upset about a $2500 grill not lasting 2.5 years and 25 uses. That isn’t normal wear and tear. No grill manufacturer would ever say it is. My last gas grill lasted my over 10 years and I bet it didn’t cost over $500.

Have you looked into getting it repaired maybe?

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post