SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Costco’s return policy and a question on ethics — should I return the grill? *POLL*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Costco’s return policy and a question on ethics — should I return the grill? *POLL* Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Depending on the model it could have been made by Nexgril, their products are expensive and low quality,

Bought one for $1K at Home Depot, two years later, burners rusting out, starters that won't start, rusting exterior even though it was supposed to be fully SS. The Sear burner only worked if you held in the start button the whole time you cooked, the valve failed, these were just a few of the small things that failed over time.

Your issues sound like mine, not a ton of use, no abuse and the inferior materials and design resulted in a horrible grill experience for a lot of money.

After dealing with Nexgrill and getting parts to fix the problem that I had to install, it just keep failing. I finally rolled it to the curb.

Never, ever buy a product made by NexGril.

KITCHENAID® GRILLS

KitchenAid is a Licensed Partner in the outdoor grill space

In partnership, KitchenAid offers a variety of powerful and precise grills designed so you can you savor the world of outdoor cooking. Browse stainless steel grills, elaborate faux-stone island grills, simplified styles to enhance everyday grilling, and a range of other outdoor grills with all the features a kitchen connoisseur could dream of – including infrared searing burners. We also offer grill covers and other grilling accessories to help you make the most of meals made outside.

www.KITCHENAIDGRILLS.COM

Many of our outdoor grills are manufactured in partnership with other companies – for assistance with our products, please use the guide below to contact the manufacturer of your grill directly. Before you call, check the year of manufacture and have model and serial numbers on hand.

For models beginning with “K”, please contact KitchenAid directly at 1-800-990-6263.

If the model number starts with 720, 730, 740, 750, please call Nexgrill @ 1-877-373-2301, email customerservice@grillservices.com or visit http://www.kitchenaidgrills.com.

Contact Kitchenaid at the numbers above, or NexGrill if that's who made your grill, let them know you're a Costco member, see if they fix the problem, if not then return it to Costco, at that point you've done what you should, dealt with the manufacturing company, let Costco deal with them if the manuf doesn't make it right.

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've been unhappy with it since you bought it. Why wait 2.5 years to do something about it? This is on you not Costco. That other people return mattresses or printers or whatever long after what's reasonable doesn't give you cover to do the same. Generous return policies that get taken advantage of eventually become less generous and then disappear.

I bought my microwave at Costco. It died after years of use. I bought a new microwave at Costco.

Posts: 4284 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Costco makes their own rules on returns, we pay for the membership, so why not if you aren't happy? They are the ones always telling us if we aren't happy in 3 years we can return. Do you know how many times I have heard " if you don't like within 3 years return in" from Kamado Joe, Vitamix etc. salesmen?

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3645 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
two and a half years? I think you own it IMO.

Regardless of whether COSTCo will take it back, after 2.5 years, it is yours!

I am pretty sure it came with a manufacturers warranty, and that should be the path taken. If it is too late for that . . .

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
Some of you may not shop Costco or know much about it.

It’s quite common for members to return years old mattresses / furniture / appliances / etc.

And they take it back no questions asked. They’d take this back in a heart beat.

But sometimes I’m too damn nice.

Long time Costco membership here. Sure they would take it back, but you also risk having your membership pulled. I had a hell of a time with a digital Samsung watch, and exchanged it twice for not charging. I asked the question, and was told that within 90 days, returns are unconditional, meaning no harm, no foul, even if used. After that they allow five returns before you are kindly asked to give up your membership. Ask yourself if it is worth it, and why you didn't return it earlier.

BTW, I was at Costco on the 2nd and witnessed a member returning a used generator bought in September during the hurricane, (clearly used), and they told him they would return it, give him his money back for his membership, but he lost his membership rights.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
i Bought a tv from them 2 years and two months ago. It is having issues. I talked with costco and referred me to the consciere service phone number. Called and talked with them and they said nada. Not very happy to this point.
Costco’s written policy:

“Electronics: Costco will accept returns within 90 days (from the date the member received the merchandise) for Televisions...”
I think that's a return for refund. Warranty stuff is a totally different matter. Month or two ago, I returned a TV that we had had for fourteen months. Functional problem. They did a warranty exchange.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30743 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
Costco makes their own rules on returns, we pay for the membership, so why not if you aren't happy? They are the ones always telling us if we aren't happy in 3 years we can return. Do you know how many times I have heard " if you don't like within 3 years return in" from Kamado Joe, Vitamix etc. salesmen?

Agreed, why artificially reduce the terms of their policy?

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
two and a half years? I think you own it IMO.

Regardless of whether COSTCo will take it back, after 2.5 years, it is yours!

I am pretty sure it came with a manufacturers warranty, and that should be the path taken. If it is too late for that . . .

You have it for 2.5 minutes and it's yours. Costco says it's not too late in their policies.

I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
I could support YES as some items age out differently it may be that he spent 2x to get a Forever BBQ. Of course one expects to replace burners & ignitors, but if the shell/base is rusting 2.5 years into an expected 15+ life and the burners are bad after such light usage, that is a lack of quality that only can be observed with time.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
“It’s quite common for members to return years old mattresses / furniture / appliances / etc.”

I kind of think people who do that are dicks. Things wear out when they’re used.

This is the same issue LL Bean finally had enough of and discontinued their lifetime warranty on their stuff.

I agree with others...2 1/2 years...the grill is yours....just too long to take it back.

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ptb351:
quote:
“It’s quite common for members to return years old mattresses / furniture / appliances / etc.”

I kind of think people who do that are dicks. Things wear out when they’re used.

This is the same issue LL Bean finally had enough of and discontinued their lifetime warranty on their stuff.

I agree with others...2 1/2 years...the grill is yours....just too long to take it back.

I've read a lot of people saying the "grill is yours" will you or anyone explain how the grill is his, and what that actually means?

Also why should he not take advantage of a return policy that says if you are unhappy at anytime return the product? I just don't understand why he should self restrict himself to less of a warranty than what the seller has offered him? Do you do that with your any other products that you feel the seller was too generous with? "1 year warranty, that seems way to generous, I think I'll reduce it to 8.75 months instead, that seems reasonable." How does one determine what reduction in warranty is warranted? Does it remain the same for an item that has a life expentancy or 3 years as one that is 20 years? Or do you do some kind of logarithmic calculation where it's a shorter percentage of life expectancy for long term buys vs short term buys? Or maybe there some kind of universal point say 6 months where you abandon your contractual rights to a warranty?

Me personally if I buy a $2,300 grill then I expect 10+ years of life out of it. My last Weber Genesis lasted for 20 years and they sell for a third of that price at $800. A $2,300 grill should be a long term investment in grilling and not need to be replaced like a char-broil grill.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20848 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Not just no but hell no.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3980 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
We bought a Pro-Form hot tub during a Costco road show event. 5yr warranty on it. Fast forward about three years and it started leaking around the jets, into the controls and electrical below. The company actually had the nerve to tell us to get in there and seal it up....with live 240V present.

Turns out, the company had been sold and the new owners didn't want to deal with things.

We called Costco to ask if there was anything they could do. The answer shocked us..."we can have it picked up and offer a full refund and you can purchase another brand (or just keep the refund)". They sent six good ole boys from WV and they loaded it up and we had a refund to our Costco AMEX.

Yeah...customer for life on that one. As for the grill...on the fence. I'd just replace the worn/bad parts. My Vermont Castings grill cost as much and is going on 8yrs old now and is out in the elements and no such issues.

Posts: 3090 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

I've read a lot of people saying the "grill is yours" will you or anyone explain how the grill is his, and what that actually means?

Are you for real, dude?

This has to be explained to you?

The OP has taken possession and used this grill for 2.5 YEARS. YEARS

NOT 2.5 days or 2.5 weeks or even maybe 2.5 months when it should be clear you don’t like it and don’t want it anymore.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 33897 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
This is punishment of buying a $2500 grill from Costco. Or, anywhere.

Hey it is your conscience, follow it .

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

Are you for real, dude?

NOT 2.5 days or 2.5 weeks or even maybe 2.5 months when it should be clear you don’t like it and don’t want it anymore.

Roll Eyes

What's the difference if it's still within Costco's policies?

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, would you be happy if they replaced it and guaranteed they would continue to replace it for life? Or do you want your money back?

Money back sounds like buyers remorse for spending so much on a grill that doesn't get used as much as intended. A swap sounds like someone who wants a $2500 grill but just isn't happy with the one they have.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
quote:
quote:

Are you for real, dude?

Roll Eyes

Because it's a manufactured product and it's 2.5 years old so the NORMAL order is:
  • #1 basic maintenance. Myself and others were posting about this on page 2, and no response from the OP. It's 2.5 years old and might need simple maintenance or even something as simple as changing the tank valve closure.
  • #2 the manufacturer's warranty which the OP has admitted to not even trying. The manufacturer's contact phone number and warranty information has been posted several times beginning on page 2. If the OP tried #1 first, he'll have a more intelligent conversation in this step.
  • #3 the seller's return policy. Then, the ethical dilemma starts of the OP knowing for a while that he had a slow heating and uneven heating problem and waiting 2.5 years. I actually linked their return policy on page 1 of this thread and I read it prior to posting. It's extremely generous. However, as others have posted, Costco does have limits (e.g. history of returning stuff after years) and sometimes will accept the return along with forfeiture of your membership.

In other words, I think two steps should have been completed before even having the ethical discussion.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23332 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Prefontaine
    posted Hide Post
    Shit like this will change their return policy, and increase cost for members. Fuck that.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12661 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    quote:
    Originally posted by matai:
    quote:
    quote:

Are you for real, dude?

Roll Eyes

Because it's a manufactured product and it's 2.5 years old so the NORMAL order is:
  • #1 basic maintenance. Myself and others were posting about this on page 2, and no response from the OP. It's 2.5 years old and might need simple maintenance or even something as simple as changing the tank valve closure.
  • #2 the manufacturer's warranty which the OP has admitted to not even trying. The manufacturer's contact phone number and warranty information has been posted several times beginning on page 2. If the OP tried #1 first, he'll have a more intelligent conversation in this step.
  • #3 the seller's return policy. Then, the ethical dilemma starts of the OP knowing for a while that he had a slow heating and uneven heating problem and waiting 2.5 years. I actually linked their return policy on page 1 of this thread and I read it prior to posting. It's extremely generous. However, as others have posted, Costco does have limits (e.g. history of returning stuff after years) and sometimes will accept the return along with forfeiture of your membership.

In other words, I think two steps should have been completed before even having the ethical discussion.

• I'm in 100% agreement with you. My first question was is it still under warranty. First steps are basic maintenance or warranty repair parts. Next step is manufacturers warranty replacement. Final step if first two fail is Costco's forever/whatever warranty.

That is why you buy from them, and why they are successful. I like the reassurance of being able to return anything, for any reason. Only used in once in last 15 years, when I did it was for $2k, so it meant the difference of me going without living room TV for six months or endless battle with Samsung. I was happy to burn one of my five lives, and will happily do so again if something doesn't meet my expectation and the manufacturer doesn't live up to its end.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20848 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post